Three reads on Louisiana

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I know they are supposed to be played but I'll be mildly surprised if bowl games are actually played, outside of the playoff. Can the bowls afford to pay teams to go? The teams can't afford ANYTHING on their own dime so TV revenue will have to pay the freight. I've spent 0 time considering this until this post. Off the cuff.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens. If even most of the bowls go forward, then teams with losing records are going to get into bowls. The B10 is still talking about playing game starting in October, so who knows how this mess will all shake out. Athletic departments all over the country are scrabbling to somehow hold everything together. With no games, no fans and donations most likely down at most schools we are going to see a lot of things cut, dropped, slashed, etc.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
For those who are curious.

Overall Record & Sagarin 2019 Rank

Louisiana (11-3) Rank 43

Loss x 2 App State (13-1) Rank 25
Loss Miss State* (6-7) Rank 47
Win @ Ohio (7-6) Rank 82
Win @ Ark State (8-5) Rank 89
Win @ Georgia Southern (W) (7-6) Rank 92
Win Miami (OH)* (W) (8-6) Rank 93
Win Troy (W) (5-7) Rank 100
Win Liberty (W) 8-5 Rank 101
Win UL Monroe (W) (5-7) Rank 112
Win @ Coastal Carolina (W) (5-7) Rank 128
Win Texas State (W) (3-9) Rank 152
Win @ South Alabama (W) (2-10) Rank 158
Win Texas Southern (W) (0-11) Rank 256

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
Not to play play down the Ragin Cajuns, but the schedule they had last year really isn't too impressive other than Appalachian State. I feel that Campbell will have a better approach due to the scare they had from UNI last year. I believe the Clones will come out and take care of business.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
With only 11 games this year, what is the bowl eligibility going to be like? And, are bowl with Pac-12 and Big 10 tie ins stiill going to be looking for teams? If so, will there be a lot of 5 win teams in bowl games? Maybe no one even known yet. Just thinking.

Depending on travel conditions come Dec/Jan, there may be fewer bowls. I can't imagine the smaller bowls will be able to find sponsors or anyone to buy tickets unless things are near normal by then. I would think the big dogs would want to have a bowl, but some may delay if the big10 pac 12 play a delayed season.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
I would be very careful about dismissing their RBs. They had three backs go for over 800 yards, one of those for over 1,100. The two of those top three who aren't playing for the Browns this year both averaged over 7 yards (7.1 and 7.6) a carry. Generally you don't do that simply because of two of your offensive linemen.
You've got that right. Phil Steele has 5 Cajuns on the SBC 1st team, including RB Elijah Mitchel. He also has RB Trey Ragas on the second team. He also says that "LA has a much upgraded OLine", which implies that losing 2 NFL draft picks is basically addition by subtractilon!!

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
This thread is an example where the preseason hype crashes into history. If we really are as good as people have been saying and we really have "changed the culture", this should be a pretty easy game. People are talking like UL is the ranked team here, almost like pre-rationalizing a loss.

I agree UL is better than some cupcake teams, but as a life-long ISU fan, I've never felt like a football game was a given against anybody, including Drake.

So which is it, have we taken the next step or are we scared of UL - I can't keep track?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
This thread is an example where the preseason hype crashes into history. If we really are as good as people have been saying and we really have "changed the culture", this should be a pretty easy game. People are talking like UL is the ranked team here, almost like pre-rationalizing a loss.

I agree UL is better than some cupcake teams, but as a life-long ISU fan, I've never felt like a football game was a given against anybody, including Drake.

So which is it, have we taken the next step or are we scared of UL - I can't keep track?
You might have noticed that the disparity in narrative has come from entirely different sets of posters.

Clearly Matt Campbell has no control over culture change among CF users.

I’m actually expecting something like a 40-15 win, thanks for asking.;)

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90 and Jer

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

The first one is what the team is trying to do, the second is what fans tend to do.

One reason ISU has 'underperformed' in their first game is because they weren't as good as fans thought they'd be coming out of the gate and even under CMC definitely didn't have the the most effective pieces in place.

Hopefully this sort of veteran group comes out crisp and playing forward.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
With only 11 games this year, what is the bowl eligibility going to be like? And, are bowl with Pac-12 and Big 10 tie ins stiill going to be looking for teams? If so, will there be a lot of 5 win teams in bowl games? Maybe no one even known yet. Just thinking.

The rule in a normal year is that .500 is the minimum. If applied the same way this season:

10 games = 5-5 is bowl eligible
11 games = 6-5 is bowl eligible

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron