Thomas

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I just want to mention that I was extremely impressed with Thomas tonight. He had 6 huge rebounds, and had a nose for the ball all night. He broke down on defense a few times, but this team really has some great young talent, including Morris. Thomas though really impressed me with his nose for the ball tonight.

berther48

Jul 10, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
I also thought it was his best effort so far.
I expected Naz to start instead of Matt.
Guess coach Fred knows what he's doing and why he is doing it.
Great experience for all the freshmen, will help us play better in the league.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Ya MT definitely played like a FR at times but hit a couple of big shots and had some crucial boards down the stretch.

Considering we were missing 3 of our starters in the final 90 seconds I'm really proud of our squad.

As MT's confidence grows he'll become very good.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Scared to shoot a few times tonight. Needs to get the confidence to step up and jack up threes in this offense. There are times the team we have out is not a very deep three point shooting team. Will come with time though.

jabalke

Nov 22, 2012
You can tell the lack of experience is currently holding him back. However, the talent is obvious, and playing an important role in a very tough road win is a great early game for a freshman.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
He is a guy you can tell immediately that he will improve with experience.

I think he is still out there getting comfortable playing with and against D1 athletes.

Even more important than his D IMO is he needs to work on getting himself open and getting shots.

cowmaster1

Dec 16, 2012
St. Paul
He's played extremely well considering the games he's played in this year. He'll be more than ready for conference season.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Scared to shoot a few times tonight. Needs to get the confidence to step up and jack up threes in this offense. There are times the team we have out is not a very deep three point shooting team. Will come with time though.

I don't think he's scared to shoot, he's just patient. We're all used to the sight of someone jacking up a three at the slightest opening, it might be a different plan this year.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I was happy to see how Thomas found other ways to contribute. He was known as a shooter, but I am certain that Hoiberg didn't recruit him only for his shooting ability.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Baby steps. He just wrapped up a very tough two game stretch for a FR, one if which being in a very hostile arena.

He will continually get better throughout the year (MM too).

By the mid conference, commentators will be commenting about what a great fit he is for Hoiberg's system and how he'll make opposing B12 fans mad for years to come.

TurbulentEddie

Nov 16, 2012
Madison, WI
The threes he made today were from NBA+ range. Showing his mid-range game (that floater was pretty) from time to time will only help get more open looks from 3 later.

cykocy

Dec 22, 2007
Ankeny, IA
He's going to be a big time player. I was frustrated with him in the first half(and he does need to work on his d) but he hit a few huge 3's in the 2nd from way out there and hit the boards. He's shown he can hit the running floater too.

CloneZone13

Feb 7, 2013
He started to look a little more aggressive and confident last night. He needs to trust his shooting and shoot more. Great rebounding and ball security.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
His mid-range pull up jumper from the wing is unstoppable. That is an extremely tough shot to defend and just as difficult to kiss off the glass with a soft touch… and he has it perfected.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
I like the fact that his two deep 3's came with a lot of time left on the shot clock. Shows me he has the confidence to knock em down.

And he has a nice floater, which will come in handy all season because defenders will be sprinting out to him to defend the 3.