This team is all grit

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I thought the defensive adjustment of forcing Bacot to receive the ball off the block and then him into making decisions with the ball at the end of the game was genius. He was a turnover machine there at the end when it mattered.
Sure was.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I am loving what TJ has done. Imagine with our defense and grit when we get solid shooters. Look out.
Yeah its okay to be pumped about this season but also be really excited about the future at the same time. TJ and staff just pulled the #6 recruiting class in the country. Itll be fun to see what TJs defense looks like with a 5 star high level athlete like Omaha Biliew anchoring the defense. Itll be fun to see what TJ offense looks like surrounding a ton of pit bulls around an elite scorer in Momcilovic.

With all of that said the team this year has a chance to be really really dang good!

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
This feels like another season where I know we can beat 95% of the other non- Big12 teams in college basketball, but yet it will be a struggle to get to .500 in the Big 12.

We need to do damage our first round through conference play. ISU is a nightmare on a one-and-done matchup because you cant prepare for our tenacity and grit in practice. But I wouldnt be surprised if we get picked off a few times the second time teams play us in conference

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yeah its okay to be pumped about this season but also be really excited about the future at the same time. TJ and staff just pulled the #6 recruiting class in the country. Itll be fun to see what TJs defense looks like with a 5 star high level athlete like Omaha Biliew anchoring the defense. Itll be fun to see what TJ offense looks like surrounding a ton of pit bulls around an elite scorer in Momcilovic.

With all of that said the team this year has a chance to be really really dang good!

I’m absolutely thrilled with the future but man nothing is guaranteed. We’ve got a group of men’s and women’s basketball players doing awesome stuff right now.

It’s a great time to be a cyclone!

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
We need to do damage our first round through conference play. ISU is a nightmare on a one-and-done matchup because you cant prepare for our tenacity and grit in practice. But I wouldnt be surprised if we get picked off a few times the second time teams play us in conference
ISU had a lot of close losses in early Big 12 play and they were still figuring out their offensive identity.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Reactions: CycloneVet

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
As long as those solid shooters buy into the defensive philosophy.

and Therein lies the dilemma. I think we tend to take the game away from certain guys with questions like “why don’t we get better shooters?”. People don’t understand that elite shooters may not want to come here and play that defense (or they aren’t capable of it). When we miss on a transfer or recruit people also tend to look at it from a macro level instead of the micro level that the players look at things at. “We’re way better than them! Why would that guy chose school X over us?”.

I think people would be surprised to find out that some guys are just like “I don’t want to do that I just want to coast on D and on the boards and leak out early every possession to try and get open looks.” So they go find a place where they can do that. Everyone is trying to find the spot that they can maximize their talents. If I were an elite outside shooter and I wanted to maximize that part of my game I wouldn’t go to ISU either.

That being said, those guys that want to maximize everything are out there, they just tend to get gobbled up by the blue bloods and the big NIL schools.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
and Therein lies the dilemma. I think we tend to take the game away from certain guys with questions like “why don’t we get better shooters?”. People don’t understand that elite shooters may not want to come here and play that defense (or they aren’t capable of it). When we miss on a transfer or recruit people also tend to look at it from a macro level instead of the micro level that the players look at things at. “We’re way better than them! Why would that guy chose school X over us?”.

I think people would be surprised to find out that some guys are just like “I don’t want to do that I just want to coast on D and on the boards and leak out early every possession to try and get open looks.” So they go find a place where they can do that.

Isn't this basically how Fred got guys? It sounds negative but he leaned heavily on volume of shots.

On the other hand TJ can sell it as 'we need a shooter, if you do the work in our culture, you'll get your shots'.

I also firmly believe that people can gravitate toward a culture of genuine connections and purpose, even if it's not glamorous, which TJ has appeared to build. Anyone coming to ISU following last season doesn't have to look hard to know what they're going to do in Ames.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Isn't this basically how Fred got guys? It sounds negative but he leaned heavily on volume of shots.

On the other hand TJ can sell it as 'we need a shooter, if you do the work in our culture, you'll get your shots'.

I also firmly believe that people can gravitate toward a culture of genuine connections and purpose, even if it's not glamorous, which TJ has appeared to build. Anyone coming to ISU following last season doesn't have to look hard to know what they're going to do in Ames.

It’s also important to look at the makeup of our conference. You have to be big, athletic and most importantly imo LONG. Needing those 3 things doesn’t leave as much room for the guys that are typically elite snipers from range. (And obviously those guys with all 3 of those intangibles PLUS elite range get gobbled up by the blue bloods).That’s just how it is. A school like ISU has to pick a lane to maximize their chances of success.