This team is all grit

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Comes from the top down with TJ, will keep us in most games.

Some takeaways today:
- underestimate Bob Jones at your own peril, I thought he was toast today and gets like 10 pts again
- Caleb Grill's stroke is so much better than his first go around as a Cyclone
- Ussuniyi and Ward are good rebounders, tough, team first guys
- Lipsy can play in the big 12 as a true freshman, not a great scorer - but man does he have a nose for defense and strong passing. Quality player

My baseline for the season in three days went from, i hope they get a lot better - to the NCAA tournament. What a day babes.
Lipsey is a really good player. Really smart player, Big 12 ready defensively. I know I’ve said this before, but his quickness and speed are legit. He worked his ass off in the weight room rehabbing from the knee injury. He absolutely could’ve been a D1 slot/returner post injury. He is a shooting liability now, but he needs to be on the court.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Lipsey is a really good player. Really smart player, Big 12 ready defensively. I know I’ve said this before, but his quickness and speed are legit. He worked his ass off in the weight room rehabbing from the knee injury. He absolutely could’ve been a D1 slot/returner post injury. He is a shooting liability now, but he needs to be on the court.
this isn't an apples to apples comparison because of several reasons...but so far he's strangely reminded me of Jacy Holloway. Not a scorer. Keeps team calm. Leads. Smart. Good defense.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
I'm not sure what the 2024 recruiting class is looking like but Otz sure making it easy for them to pay attention to ISU. With the 2023 class being Top 10 and bringing a long more shooting firepower, look out!

I'm sure there will be ups and downs like last season, but perhaps shorter downs given this year's team, so far, has shown to be better offensively. Defense is still special.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Compared to UNC, they are all grit. UNC has elite athleticism, length, and skill
Imagine Hunter, Green, and Williams on this team plus Tre King second semester. It would be one of the best backcourt-front court combinations in CBB

Reactions: Dowwmeow

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Watching UCon/bammer.

They both roll the ball out and "I am better than you".

How will they like the taste of their own blood Sunday? One will find out.

UConn in a nutshell:

boing.gif

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I'm not sure what the 2024 recruiting class is looking like but Otz sure making it easy for them to pay attention to ISU. With the 2023 class being Top 10 and bringing a long more shooting firepower, look out!

I'm sure there will be ups and downs like last season, but perhaps shorter downs given this year's team, so far, has shown to be better offensively. Defense is still special.

Snagged some great talent for next year, but don't sleep on this staff being able to find the right transfers when needed, too. That, IMO will continue to be a huge part of success in the new college bball world.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Snagged some great talent for next year, but don't sleep on this staff being able to find the right transfers when needed, too. That, IMO will continue to be a huge part of success in the new college bball world.

Even one of the game announcers was like “Who is St. Bonaventure’s leading scorer this season? He’ll be in Ames next year.” I lol’ed.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
UNC could not deal with our style of play for 40 minutes, they wilted. That constant balls to the wall pressure, got to them and made them collapse in the last 4 minutes. Our guys don't give a sh#t what is going on, don't care what the score is, if we have guys in foul trouble, etc..they are just going to keep on coming at you.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Like junkyard dogs with extra tenacity. These dudes just never, ever back down.
It struck me that no one's facial expressions or mannerisms changed when NC got a big dunk, a block, a three, or went on a run. Just went right back at it like it never happened.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Maybe the best Athletic article written about Iowa State ($).

This is written perfectly.
Otzelberger’s Iowa State didn’t define itself Friday, because it already did all of that work, and that’s what made Friday possible. It’s a group of trained pugilists at its core, and it counterpunched North Carolina into submission, and it’s been doing some version of that for 40 games now. It didn’t confirm the plan would work, because that more or less happened last season, when the Cyclones made the trip from a dystopian two-win-season wasteland to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament. It didn’t validate Otzelberger as a long-term program builder after some pretty notable attrition in the offseason, because two five-star prospects have signed on to play in Ames starting next year. Which guarantees nothing, yes. But you’re not a ground-floor investor if you’re buying into Iowa State today.