This is why Prohm must go........

CyBlock

Oct 1, 2019
College basketball isn't that hard of a formula, and it's frustrating to me to watch our coaching staff not make adjustments and put their foot down with this team and control what you can.

You need posts to dominate the glass and for drive and kick situations, but you can't simply live on only having posts as the defense will collapse and double team posts. Thus you need three-point shooters to scare and threaten from the perimeter and prevent the other team from just running a zone offense and clogging up all the driving lanes. The best historical basketball teams have one good guard and one good post.

• We need to keep our best post players (Conditt, Jacobsen, Solomon) on the post ~ if a post is shooting a midrange shot, he's on the bench.
  • We need to have our best three-point threats (which right now is really only Haliburton) in the corner setup for a potential three-point shot. Haliburton should not be dribbling much unless we are using him for cutting to the basket situations ~ only because he's our only three-point threat
  • There is no way that Bolton or Nixon should be allowed to shoot a three for the rest of the season. Bolton should be allowed to drive to the basket, but that is his only shot. Nixon should be in a "Chris Babb" role where he's not shooting much, but he's only on the court to get assists and shut down the other teams best guy.
  • Everyone else is a role player, but should not be shooting. Haliburton and post players should make up 80% of the offense. The rest of the team needs to focus on shutting teams down on defense.
  • Part of me also wonders if we should go full-court press every game for the rest of the season? This team has the potential to cause a lot of turnovers. This speeds up the game tempo, even if you give up a lot of shots on the other side, but at the end of the day, our offense comes from tempo.
Prohm appears to be very stubborn with A) making changes to the starting roster and B) making adjustments mid-game (reaching to bad situations earlier)

Don't agree with half of this post, but there are points that make sense. After this many games, those shooting in the 20% range on threes need to be reigned in. With this comes your "role-playing" argument, which is essential. Run your offense through 2-3 guys as the primary scorers, and the others need to understand this role and limit their shots. Who cares if we only score 60 a game. A bad shot is just like a turnover!!

We have never been a team to pack the post. We prefer spacing and letting our bigs roam outside. Its a pick your poison offense, but it has been successful under CFH and Prohm.

As for being stubborn to substitute, this is another pick your poison debate. I'm sure the people playing are the lowest liability on offense AND defense. It's a fine line, but limiting 10-15 points per game with good D, and gaining 10-15 points on good shot selection will usually mean hanging a W in the win column.

Until we can shoot in the 35% range on 3's, and 45-50% overall, we will not win many games...

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Why 40 games? What do the last 20 look like? The last 30? 50? I don't pretend to act like the 17-18 season didn't occur. Anybody with half a brain understands what happened that year.

Why you asking me?
89-57 at ISU

52-17 at Hilton

37-40 away/neutral

55-54 vs high major opponents

Cool, now whats the non-conference cream puff count in Hilton? Lets just use an average of 7 for 5 years now, thats 35 wins against teams they should destory out of 52 wins.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
That was the original point of my post that you quoted and commented on. Seriously, how stupid are you?

You asked me like I was the one on Twitter who decided to use the 40 game sample size. You can sit here and make excuses and call people names all you want it doesnt bother me, the fact of the matter is in the last 3 years with "his guys" things arent good. Things don't look any better next year either with Haliburton gone.

The same thing that happened last night will happen again once the reality of the Big 12 sets in. Its probably time you come to grips with that instead of just insulting people that expect a better product.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
You asked me like I was the one on Twitter who decided to use the 40 game sample size. You can sit here and make excuses and call people names all you want it doesnt bother me, the fact of the matter is in the last 3 years with "his guys" things arent good. Things don't look any better next year either with Haliburton gone.

The same thing that happened last night will happen again once the reality of the Big 12 sets in. Its probably time you come to grips with that instead of just insulting people that expect a better product.

Quote the excuses I've made.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Quote the excuses I've made.

Lmao!!! Bro, you just literally talked about how you didnt think it was fair to only use a 40 game sample size, talked about a 60 game sample size, and then said it wasnt fair to use any of the 2017-18 season since it didnt exist.

Youre trying to excuse and justify horrendous basketball going on 3 seasons now with no hope in sight except another highly ranked recruiting class, who only knows how long will stay together or which players will be busts like Lewis, Griffin, Leech, and Anderson.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
After Hoinerg left I wanted Pollard to make a play for Scott Drew. He will also be my top choice if we make a change.

his teams are always tough, they can rebound on both sides and he brings in quality recruits.

when you have a team that can’t shoot like us right now, in order to make up for that we need to be a good offensive rebounding team to get second chances. Why not at least try to crash the boards when we’re playing big?

Conditt and Hali are our two best players, they should both be starting.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
After Hoinerg left I wanted Pollard to make a play for Scott Drew. He will also be my top choice if we make a change.

his teams are always tough, they can rebound on both sides and he brings in quality recruits.

when you have a team that can’t shoot like us right now, in order to make up for that we need to be a good offensive rebounding team to get second chances. Why not at least try to crash the boards when we’re playing big?

Conditt and Hali are our two best players, they should both be starting.

Please seek help for your drug addiction/alcoholism problem!!!!!!! Scott Drew is not leaving Baylor to come to ISU.

I honestly can't believe I read something this crazy.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Please seek help for your drug addiction/alcoholism problem!!!!!!! Scott Drew is not leaving Baylor to come to ISU.

I honestly can't believe I read something this crazy.
Why not? So you’re saying our only options are mid major unproven coaches? Also don’t confuse drug addiction for phone posts.

• Funny
Reactions: CyBobby

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It might help their shooting at Hilton to actually practice AT HILTON instead of Soukup!!!
Dumbest thing we ever did was stop practicing at Hilton.
Yes that is the exact reason why we are a bad shooting team. I'm sure that's why we sucked last year from the three point line, or why we sucked all the years with Fred from beyond the arc.

If you're a good shooter, it doesn't matter what gym you're in.. it translates anywhere. Sure, there are times when you might have an off night, but great shooters shoot well anywhere. Right now, we do not have great shooters, rather pretty mediocre ones. They need to get into the gym more and keep practicing.. That's the only way they're going to get better. Matt Thomas, Naz, Georges, and Monte were not getting thousands of shots up at Hilton every week.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Why not? So you’re saying our only options are mid major unproven coaches? Also don’t confuse drug addiction for phone posts.

Well Jamie isn't going to mortgage the future of ISU athletics to pay the enormous amount it would take to get him and nor should he.

• Winner
Reactions: xboxfever

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Lmao!!! Bro, you just literally talked about how you didnt think it was fair to only use a 40 game sample size, talked about a 60 game sample size, and then said it wasnt fair to use any of the 2017-18 season since it didnt exist.

Youre trying to excuse and justify horrendous basketball going on 3 seasons now with no hope in sight except another highly ranked recruiting class, who only knows how long will stay together or which players will be busts like Lewis, Griffin, Leech, and Anderson.

I literally did none of that.

• Disagree
Reactions: NoCreativity