Things to Do: San Antonio

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I'm heading to San Antonio for an extended work trip soon and looking for recommendations on golf courses, bars, restaurants, etc. I know many of you were just down there for the bowl game so would love some ideas!

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
If you can get into the Alamo Bowl, you could take a selfie on the field at the exact two spots where the two worst "targeting" penalties in the history of college football were ever called.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
We walk the River Walk for about 2 days anytime we go there.
Mad Dogs is a nice little British pub that we like.
You can take beer on the boat tours - worth it!

Then just stop at random restaurants and keep getting more drinks.

The Alamo is overrated (plus they got their ass kick there) and very small with insane long lines. I would only go if you have never been, but I would never go twice.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
The Alamo is overrated (plus they got their ass kick there) and very small with insane long lines.

The reason why it's a big deal to Texans is because they didn't surrender and went out swinging. It's like the historical beginning of Texas pride. Amazing history there, and I'm a native Iowan. I've been twice and have never experienced insane long lines. I would recommend going and actually pay attention to the stories about what actually happened there.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The reason why it's a big deal to Texans is because they didn't surrender and went out swinging. It's like the historical beginning of Texas pride. Amazing history there, and I'm a native Iowan. I've been twice and have never experienced insane long lines. I would recommend going and actually pay attention to the stories about what actually happened there.

We went last March and walked right in.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm heading to San Antonio for an extended work trip soon and looking for recommendations on golf courses, bars, restaurants, etc. I know many of you were just down there for the bowl game so would love some ideas!

Search for "Alamo Bowl Cyclone Fanatic Things to do." Google is your friend. Better than the search tool on the site.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
We go every year so I'll try to get a list together of what we have liked.

If you are into history the other Missions around town are way more interesting than the Alamo and larger. Some more intact that others.

I forget our favorite but it's pretty intact and like a mini city with church, blacksmith shop, living spaces, etc.

https://www.nps.gov/saan/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Last edited:

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
Besides the Alamo, there are around 6-7 other missions you can visit. Also,there is an Six Flags amusement park and a zoo, if you like those kind of things.

We at at Landry's on riverwalk. A little higher end restaurant, but great seafood.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Boudro's is my favorite restaurant on the Riverwalk. Try to get a riverside table and get the guacamole made at your table. The Alamo is cool to see but you'll only spend 60-90 minutes there.

Don't get Mexican food on the Riverwalk. You'll have better luck going to Me Tierra in Market Square or Rosario's in the King William District.

I've never done it but I know a few people that have done biking tours to the various missions.

I just really enjoy walking around the Riverwalk and people watching.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

You'd think ISU fans would be more understanding of celebrating losses.
vauEUgn.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron