The future - ChrisW, KG? . . .

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
KG, how does Oliver look? Is he good enough to get some minutes this year?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We need shooters - If we don't add some, nothing will change.

BINGO!

At this point, I really think the only way we can compete is if we can nail a bunch of 3's. Just run and gun.

Put Dendy in the middle and four shooters out there with him and see what happens.

Our problem right now is that DG, Colvin, and Phillips can't shoot. From everything I hear, Phillips is a driver, not a shooter.

Go get 3 guys that know how to put the ball in the basket... period.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
We need shooters - If we don't add some, nothing will change.

I have to disagree with this. You dont need shooters to win. Our team just doesnt play tough. Gilstrap was tough as nails and thats what we need. Dendy is tough and so is Colvin. I want the guys that are gonna take it to the rim and get fouled instead of sitting around waiting for the ball. I think that is what Mac is trying to do now too. Scotty and VanderBeeken are the only shooters on the team now, and everyone else can seem to get into the lane. Its much easier to teach a player to shoot the ball than it is to teach them to not be afraid of contact and get to the rim.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
i was watching melvin ejim's highlights the other day--he's deffinitely not afraid to take it to the hole. of course he wasnt playing against big 12 talent, but he deffinetly looks great. not sure what kind of shooter he is but he looks a bit like gilstrap except maybe a little more finesse. look for dendy, vanderbeken, garrett, phillips, and ejim to start next year

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
I have to disagree with this. You dont need shooters to win. Our team just doesnt play tough. Gilstrap was tough as nails and thats what we need. Dendy is tough and so is Colvin. I want the guys that are gonna take it to the rim and get fouled (1) instead of sitting around waiting for the ball. I think that is what Mac is trying to do now too. (2) Scotty and VanderBeeken are the only shooters on the team now, and everyone else can seem to get into the lane. Its much easier to teach a player to shoot the ball than it is to teach them to not be afraid of contact and get to the rim.

1. I don't want my shooters standing around waiting for the ball. I want motion and coming off screens and making your space and knocking down shots.

2. Agree - and that is very bad - we need more shooters IMO

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
KG, how does Oliver look? Is he good enough to get some minutes this year?

He looks like the majority of GMac's recruits... probably too skinny and soft to ever make an impact. GMac loves 6'5" guys that weigh 160 lbs.

Cyclone_Grav

Jul 13, 2007
Des Moines
Wilkins, Clark, Oto, Barnes, Jett, Pressey...Guessing three of those six, but I haven't been able to get a clear indication who we want as top priority other than Wilkins.

So say, hypothetically, we get wilkins, clark, pressey. First how realistic is that? Second, how much does that increase your confidence about next season. And lastly, who are our likely starting five with those three?

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
Of the remaining prospects we are recruiting, this situation would get me most excited for next season:
Clark-PF
Pressey-SG
One of the following:
Wilkins/Clyburn/Jett

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
The Beer glass is broken and there aren't funds to fix.

We'll have to wait till after next year when we can "FIRE" GMac and get a new coach in Ames that can fix the glass or put up a new glass and at can at least hold some water. This is the lowest point for Cyclone Basketball that I have ever seen.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
ive been wondering about him. i figured we had him for sure since his buddy phillips was coming here. guess not

Reactions: Wesley

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
The only hope I see for next season is if Phillips can have a Mike Taylor-like impact on the team. We have to have a guard that's able to break down a defender and take it to the rack.

Colvin has shown he has that ability, his ability to find the open guy was by far the best on the team last season. His shooting came a long way as the season progressed as well. DG moves well but has never shown he has the ability to consistently make the kick-out after the defense sags in on him.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
am i the only one pumped to see this kid after this highlight video? dunno if he can shoot but this is exciting

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aladf1ZCqxE]YouTube - Melvin Ejim- Gatorade Player of NH[/ame]

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
We just have to hope and pray that the guys we bring in are better than the guys on our roster now.

Until we know they ARENT .. no point in rehashing it.