The Athletic State of the Program

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Great/thorough article on this years team with position breakdowns.

Pretty bullish on the team. Who wants to conduct the hype train?

Not subscribed. Care to summarize?

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Campbell says his most talented team yet.

Mention of Andrews

Good things to say about Purdy and Hall

High on our WR/TE depth

OL is the glaring deficiency (think we knew that)

Touched on recruiting and staff changes
I almost don't want to read anything on the upcoming season and get my hopes up then have the rug pulled out if they have to cancel the season. The most cyclone thing ever....

Reactions: heitclone

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I’m trying not to get too excited. Last year was supposedly our most talented team and they underachieved quite a bit

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I’m trying not to get too excited. Last year was supposedly our most talented team and they underachieved quite a bit

The final record was somewhat disappointing yes, but...

Iowa = 17-18 lost by 1
Baylor = 21-23 lost by 2
OSU = 27-34 lost by 7
OU = 41-42 lost by 1
KSU = 17-27 lost by 10
ND = 9-33 lost by a lot

Three of those games basically came down to the last play.

Oklahoma State came down to the last possession.

We kind of ran out of gas by Kansas State, and Notre Dame kicked our butts.

Being in every game we played but one is a very good sign.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Our season will come down to the O line play and not turning the ball over, if we do those two things, we will be very good.

If anyone has not signed up for the Athletic yet, you really should, they have teaser rates all the time for a couple bucks a month. Well worth it if you are into sports. Best thing out there since the old Sporting News back in the day.

Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think this is the year the offensive line takes a big step forward. We don't need them to be great. Be consistently average and SMART. False starts have been absolute killers the past two years.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think this is the year the offensive line takes a big step forward. We don't need them to be great. Be consistently average and SMART. False starts have been absolute killers the past two years.
I’d expect them to be better across the board. The “big step forward” seems to me would come in ‘21–with likely five returning starters.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA

I would agree with this, and I'm sure Campbell does too. When he mentions a lot of players in the article it is a lot of "they're good, but can they be great?" And what does it take to become great. The team may have been the most talented last year, but they were also very young. A 7-5 "disappointing" year can be great motivation for a young team to really hit the offseason hard and get to that great level. Just hopeful COVID doesn't hinder that progress...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron