Texas eyes a conundrum ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Again, not how my history and English professors taught me in Ames. Objects and things not reasonably classified as alive are “it,” including even named hurricanes.

There are many languages that make every noun either masculine or feminine. French for example. It's not that unusual. But this is part of why I say these people are destroying the fabric of society

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Again, not how my history and English professors taught me in Ames. Objects and things not reasonably classified as alive are “it,” including even named hurricanes.
I was just quoting the movie "The Jerk"

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
A ship is always referred to as feminine. Ask every sailor ever.

You might be trying a little too hard on this one.
How would one ask every sailor ever?

Sorry, pet peave of mine. Sports guys always say, "Just ask (insert athlete's name)...."

Well, I ******* can't, *******. Not you, Macloney, the sports guy.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If they didn't teach you to think for yourself and come to your own conclusions - then yes.

When two tenured and award-winning professors from two different departments at a prestigious research university like Iowa State, both of which spend a large proportion of their professional lives writing and editing, say that things are an "it" unless they are explicitly and literally male or female, you tend to listen to them.

There is a time to think for yourself, and there is a time to listen to expertise.

The opening scene portrays african americans in a negative stereotypical fashion. You would not be amused.

Nah, we Americans have lots to be sorry about. I just watched Borat again a night or two ago in anticipation of the sequel coming out, and all that does is make fun of negative American stereotypes.

And it is hilarious doing it.

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The opening scene portrays african americans in a negative stereotypical fashion. You would not be amused.
You want to see somnething cringeworthy in a popular movie? Early in The Longest Yard Burt Reynolds beats the crap out of his girlfriend. Like, no big deal. Old movies and TV shows have tons of slaps and violence against women. It's crazy.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I meant trying to hard on the whole thing.

Your response has confirmed this.

You know, I went to middle school, too. I think that was the last time I heard somebody think that calling somebody a "try-hard" was an effective comeback. For somebody who "doesn't care," you're ratings-stalking me hard.

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Tv
When two tenured and award-winning professors from two different departments at a prestigious research university like Iowa State, both of which spend a large proportion of their professional lives writing and editing, say that things are an "it" unless they are explicitly and literally male or female, you tend to listen to them.

There is a time to think for yourself, and there is a time to listen to expertise.

Nah, we Americans have lots to be sorry about. I just watched Borat again a night or two ago in anticipation of the sequel coming out, and all that does is make fun of negative American stereotypes.

And it is hilarious doing it.

So, you mean that a car or a ship don't really have a gender? If only someone would have taught me that at my prestigious institution of research.

Wow, got any other brain busters for us?

You are one of about three people on Earth that noticed or cared that the term "loyal sons" was gender specific.

Calm down, dude.

• Dumb
Reactions: Sigmapolis

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You want to see somnething cringeworthy in a popular movie? Early in The Longest Yard Burt Reynolds beats the crap out of his girlfriend. Like, no big deal. Old movies and TV shows have tons of slaps and violence against women. It's crazy.
Just watched High Plains Drifter again a couple of weeks ago. The "rape her until she likes it" scene is beyond uncomfortable.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Tv

So, you mean that a car or a ship don't really have a gender? If only someone would have taught me that at my prestigious institution of research.

Wow, got any other brain busters for us?

You are one of about three people on Earth that noticed or cared that the term "loyal sons" was gender specific.

Calm down, dude.

Funny how when it is one of your traditions being called out for sexism -- and "loyal sons" and only "loyal sons" is sexist by a plain reading of the text, like it or not -- you find all sorts of excuses.

Is it a pretty minor thing? Yes.

Was there exclusionary intent when it was written? Likely not.

Do most people care? No, but most people don't care about this stuff generally.

Should it be changed? Open question. I have not (yet) advocated that it should. But even if it were to be, it would only take modifying one word. It is not like we would need to junk it.

The song is from the 1930s. There are not a lot of things from the 1930s that will not pose some problem to modern morality and ethics when you are willing to turn over all stones.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jbhtexas

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
The song actually has ties to Robert E. Lee who phrased it: The eyes of the south ...

Texas's turn-of-the-century president changed Lee's words to "the eyes of Texas are upon you" in a graduation speech. Students picked up on it, put some lyrics around it, and thus came the song The Eyes of Texas.

The problem is not only with Robert E. Lee, the real issue is that those students first brought the song in a minstrel show, meaning they were in black face at the time.

But it is not a silly song. To say that is to not understand Texas. The Eyes are played not only at UT events but at every kind of social occasion, like weddings since written in 1903.
Ive been to several Texas weddings and never heard this song. I dont think its dissemination is as wide as this article suggests.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Ive been to several Texas weddings and never heard this song. I dont think its dissemination is as wide as this article suggests.

I'm ambivalent on this "eyes" issue. But to suggest what you just wrote is somehow reflective of Texas or aTm alum weddings is horsepoo.

In fact, most proud alums play their school song at the wedding reception. At Notre Dame, it's customary to sing the alma mater to end Mass and almost always at the reception. It would be a rare exception otherwise.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Seems like we are still in a time of transition from the unnecessarily gendered pronouns. For some, they still seem to be using them because they sound nostalgic or elegant.

Are these professors describing the current state of common use of the language? Or do they have an an agenda that they are trying to promote (which is bringing change to the language)? It seems like the latter because there are still so many unnecessarily gendered pronouns being used.

One of the weird things about language is that nobody really owns or controls it. Over time, usage determines what is right or wrong, not expert professors. Just look at all the stupid things that have become acceptable in our language.

Reactions: ImJustKCClone