Tech was down two starters

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I don't know that there was any guarantee he was going to start at pg. He committed when Hunter was still on the team. Said he was looking forward to playing with Hunter. I don't know why he would look at Lipsey any differently.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2022/04/...iah-williams-on-his-commitment-to-iowa-state/

I do have to wonder if Hunter was really still on the team, though. I mean he was still technically on the roster, but I'm guessing coaches were 99% sure he was gone at that point, even if they can't tell us that. Remember, Hunter never came back from the tournament.

Sounds like WIlliams is a good player and it'd be great if he stuck around, as some depth and experience (especially next year) would be wonderful. I just don't know if having him next year would be something to count on.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I do have to wonder if Hunter was really still on the team, though. I mean he was still technically on the roster, but I'm guessing coaches were 99% sure he was gone at that point, even if they can't tell us that. Remember, Hunter never came back from the tournament.

Sounds like WIlliams is a good player and it'd be great if he stuck around, as some depth and experience (especially next year) would be wonderful. I just don't know if having him next year would be something to count on.
Ok, If that's your take on the situation. I find it hard to believe he is going to spend a year of rehab at ISU and then turn around and sit another year to transfer to a different school. I mean, I can definitely see a spot on this year's team for him and I don't see that changing much next year. I guess we'll see.

SoleCyclone

Mar 26, 2022
Did he not come here to start at PG while Lipsey was brought up to speed? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Why would someone who was expecting to be a starter stick around when it's pretty black and white he will not be a starter? Will he play a different position next year? I'm genuinely curious.
I'd argue Lipsey is not up to speed.

• Haha
Reactions: 3TrueFans

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I'd argue Lipsey is not up to speed.

Right now yeah. Something to think about toward the end of the season. I think we've been spoiled so far with Lipsey doing as well as he has.

I caught a couple minutes of TJs presser after. I have to say I don't mind his answers. He answered in a way that let me know he was aware of what's killing them, but also in a way that doesn't throw anyone under the bus.

The guy keeps impressing me.

Reactions: exCYtable

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Ok, If that's your take on the situation. I find it hard to believe he is going to spend a year of rehab at ISU and then turn around and sit another year to transfer to a different school. I mean, I can definitely see a spot on this year's team for him and I don't see that changing much next year. I guess we'll see.

True about having to sit out again, and that would be the thing that keeps him here. I might be under-weighting that, but I know many of these guys are looking to showcase for the next level, and you don't get that playing backup minutes.

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
Isaacs is also just as likely to shoot them out of the game as into it. Felt like he had a lot of shots that hurt them in Ames.
Isaacs also was terrible on D, all of our guards blew by him in Ames. Probably addition by subtraction that he wasn't playing tonight.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Did he not come here to start at PG while Lipsey was brought up to speed? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Why would someone who was expecting to be a starter stick around when it's pretty black and white he will not be a starter? Will he play a different position next year? I'm genuinely curious.
If he transfers a 2nd time he would likely have to sit.

Also a team doesn't need JUST 1 starting point guard. It's not unusual for teams to start 2 PG's. Williams is 6'4" so he's big enough to guard bigger opponent wings.

If I am Williams, I look at the chance for starter minutes next season with Kalscheur and Holmes graduating. Grill is not a great ball handler- so he's pretty much a small ball 3.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
lets keep in mind they were without 2 starters. If those guys play, I doubt we build a big lead in the first place. They would have beat us straight up.
Darn those 2 might not be starting anymore!

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
To be fair, Williams was exactly what we needed tonight. Lipsey had his whole year of freshman mistakes in a single game.
I think it was Coach McD(put the pitchforks away) that talked about how freshman guards can start strong but usually hit a wall at some point their freshman year. I think he was referring to Diante Garrett but you saw that wall hit Lipsey against TTU.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Tamin Lipsey
4-6, 11 pts, 5 boards, 4 assists, 4 turnovers

Jaren Holmes
3-12, 9 pts, 2 board, 2 assist, 4 turnovers

One is a true freshman who came into this year with hopes to just get a few minutes a game. The other is a senior brought in to make everyone DAWGs.

It was an extreme changeup pitch by the Tech defense and refs.

They suddenly started playing extremely physical D with ten minutes left and the officials kept not calling them for any fouls like they had the previous 30 minutes when they weren't being physical on D.

If Tech had played physical all game, officials call them for fouls all game, and I'm guessing our guards actually have less turnovers. Not saying we'd have won, but the turnover mania was from the game changing WILDLY with ten minutes left and officials stayed in mode where they wouldn't whistle Tech for contact.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Harmon went all Globetrotter on us and the refs had no trouble calling fouls on us. And I'm not saying they weren't fouls. Its hard to tell on TV....were we incapable of staying with this guy, fatigued, or what?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Harmon went all Globetrotter on us and the refs had no trouble calling fouls on us. And I'm not saying they weren't fouls. Its hard to tell on TV....were we incapable of staying with this guy, fatigued, or what?
Maybe fatigue played into it as our guards are playing almost the whole game. Momentum/Energy/Confidence came into play the last 12 minutes.

But from what i saw TT was taking advantage of our switching and getting match ups they could take advantage of. When we switch automatically 1-5, a good team will run the weave or high PNR and get the switch they like. TT was able to get their guards matched up with Jones, Osun, etc. They would then flatten to a 1-4 and the guy with the ball would take his defender off the dribble. If Jones or Osun get stuck on a perimeter switch that leaves Holmes, Kalscheur, Grill and Lipsey to protect the lane and rebound. Advantage guys like Harmon, Tyson, Washington & Obanor.

Pretty amazing in modern basketball a team comes back from a 20 point deficit in less than 12 minutes and shoots 6-23 from 3 points for the game! Not sure I've ever seen a team get to the basket like Tech did in the last 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
lets keep in mind they were without 2 starters. If those guys play, I doubt we build a big lead in the first place. They would have beat us straight up.
We do better without big leads.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Maybe fatigue played into it as our guards are playing almost the whole game. Momentum/Energy/Confidence came into play the last 12 minutes.

But from what i saw TT was taking advantage of our switching and getting match ups they could take advantage of. When we switch automatically 1-5, a good team will run the weave or high PNR and get the switch they like. TT was able to get their guards matched up with Jones, Osun, etc. They would then flatten to a 1-4 and the guy with the ball would take his defender off the dribble. If Jones or Osun get stuck on a perimeter switch that leaves Holmes, Kalscheur, Grill and Lipsey to protect the lane and rebound. Advantage guys like Harmon, Tyson, Washington & Obanor.

Pretty amazing in modern basketball a team comes back from a 20 point deficit in less than 12 minutes and shoots 6-23 from 3 points for the game! Not sure I've ever seen a team get to the basket like Tech did in the last 10 minutes.
or to the foul line almost every possession in last ten minutes