Tailgating Fall of 2020

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Just for now we're going to pretend that Covid-19 never happened.

What new items, recipes, ideas do you have to enhance the 2020 Iowa State Tailgating season?

I spent some time repacking all of the gear and purging unnecessary
items.

Always looking to make things simpler.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This possibly could be a season where its nice to know someone who lives in Ames that you can do a driveway or backyard tailgate with. Based on the letters by Pollard so far where he stated tailgating is a big part of ISU gameday culture I would be a little surprised if tailgating is completely eliminated but I think a more reasonable compromise might be to limit the number of hours the lots open before the game. Right now if you are donor it's either 6 hours before kickoff or 7am which ever comes first and GA 6 hours prior. I could see that being reduced to something like 3 or 4 hours before kickoff and gates opening something like 3 hours before kick off to encourage distancing upon entering the stadium.

Just from a traffic and pedestrian perspective you kind of need to have the lots opened at a reasonable time to keep it from being a congested mess and I don't know how you can enforce no tailgating without a larger staff presence. As someone else mentioned in another thread they possibly could have you show proof of a ticket into the game in order to enter the lot too to restrict people just coming for the tailgating but once again without fencing everything off you can't stop people from parking somewhere else and just walking to the lots too. I

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This possibly could be a season where its nice to know someone who lives in Ames that you can do a driveway or backyard tailgate with. Based on the letters by Pollard so far where he stated tailgating is a big part of ISU gameday culture I would be a little surprised if tailgating is completely eliminated but I think a more reasonable compromise might be to limit the number of hours the lots open before the game. Right now if you are donor it's either 6 hours before kickoff or 7am which ever comes first and GA 6 hours prior. I could see that being reduced to something like 3 or 4 hours before kickoff and gates opening something like 3 hours before kick off to encourage distancing upon entering the stadium.

Just from a traffic and pedestrian perspective you kind of need to have the lots opened at a reasonable time to keep it from being a congested mess and I don't know how you can enforce no tailgating without a larger staff presence. As someone else mentioned in another thread they possibly could have you show proof of a ticket into the game in order to enter the lot too to restrict people just coming for the tailgating but once again without fencing everything off you can't stop people from parking somewhere else and just walking to the lots too. I

If I lived in Iowa I’d suggest that CFers attempt to recreate the movie Old School and pool to buy a house in Ames and start a frat.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
...without fencing everything off...

I wouldn't be surprised if fencing is involved. I worked for Ogden Entertainment in '98, they managed the Iowa State Center. One day, in preparation for a Boy Scouts convention in Hilton, they had us drive fence posts the length of Lincoln Way, from Beach to Elwood and then rolled out the fencing. The scouts were staying in MWL and they wanted to discourage jaywalking across Lincoln Way. I think they gave us two post drivers and a crew of six. One of the hardest days of work I've ever put in. And it paid like $5/hr.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I wouldn't be surprised if fencing is involved. I worked for Ogden Entertainment in '98, they managed the Iowa State Center. One day, in preparation for a Boy Scouts convention in Hilton, they had us drive fence posts the length of Lincoln Way, from Beach to Elwood and then rolled out the fencing. The scouts were staying in MWL and they wanted to discourage jaywalking across Lincoln Way. I think they gave us two post drivers and a crew of six. One of the hardest days of work I've ever put in. And it paid like $5/hr.
I worked there too several years earlier. We had to drive fence posts to create a perimeter around the stadium for stadium shows. Most of it was in grass but we had to cross some asphalt and, guess what, we drove those posts by hand through the asphalt. I didn't think it could be done until we did it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I worked there too several years earlier. We had to drive fence posts to create a perimeter around the stadium for stadium shows. Most of it was in grass but we had to cross some asphalt and, guess what, we drove those posts by hand through the asphalt. I didn't think it could be done until we did it.

That's what you did while I sat on the forklift? I am totally upset I missed reliving cattle fencing. If you would have asked, I probably would have helped.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That's what you did while I sat on the forklift? I am totally upset I missed reliving cattle fencing. If you would have asked, I probably would have helped.
The fencing was erected about a month before the summer of concerts. For the load in and load out of the first show I was on a forklift too. The big roadie who asked everyone to call him Ugly watched each forklift driver pick something off a semi trailer and if he didn't like the way they did it he sent them away because he wanted the best one working with him. I got sent away along with my big Sellick forklift. Eventually he sent everyone away and when I was back he decided I wasn't so bad after all so I was his right hand driver for the whole show. When he came back for his next show he asked me, "Velo, where is your machine?" He was disappointed to learn that I was no longer driving for him. To be honest, I was a little bit disappointed too.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
You may have prevented them from jay-walking across Lway, but no one has ever explained walk/don't walk signals to conferences attendees and sorority rush participants. My commute home involved going past the rec center & MWL, crossing Lway & heading south on Beach toward Hwy 30. Two lanes southbound; one was right turn only, the other was left/straight. If you had someone turning left, the flow of bodies across Lway started the moment the light went green, despite the fact that they did not yet have a walk signal. And it never stopped!!! When we knew there were going to be conferences, we commuters always tried to change our routes. It would really suck if you spaced it off and drove out that way...you could sit through three or four light cycles sometimes. :D