Survivor 42

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
except that in new age survivor, what's to stop her from stealing his idol, then telling everyone that she's voting for Mike and using the idol for herself right there at tribal council?

So if you're Lindsay or Omer, who do you take to final 3? Lindsay cannot take Jonathan or Mike and still win. Omer just has to avoid Mike and I think Mary Anne. Omer's has played such a behind the scenes game that he can't afford to take someone else with him who has also played a low key game but is more liked and better with words. I think if I were Omer I'd take Romeo and Jonathan and if I were Lindsay I'd take Romeo and Mary Anne.

Yeah, knowledge is power and key to the game this late in the game of Survivor. That is about the only move Drea could have done is kept that secret to herself knowing she could be the one they vote then steal the idol from Mike at tribal or right after the vote. I think after the vote would have been the best because if you say you are voting for Mike then I could see them just switching the vote to Romeo instead.

Agree with your final 3 assessment. Other than Romeo just about everyone left has played a good enough game to win so it is a matter of how you can navigate to get to the final 3 and get there with 2 people you have the best shot of beating. There are so many scenarios in play right now, these players seem to be playing the strategy hard and respect that others are doing the same so I can even see a scenario where they all agree let's vote Romeo out next and may the best 3 players find their way to the end to make this a tough vote for the jury. Probably won't happen but if I was on the jury out of Mike, Lindsay, Johnathan, and Omar I would struggle to pick a winner right now because all have earned to win at this point. I can pick holes in Maryanne's game and Romeo has done nothing. The other 4 have all won challenges at key times and also had a role in voting out threats too.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Not gonna lie, when Lindsey was choosing the box for the chance to get immunity or immediately be gone, and she guessed the right one, part of me was wondering if there was any way that all three boxes had both the fire and the skull, and could be manipulated by Probst when opening to reveal the fire no matter which one she chose. No, I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, but just being honest that thought did pop into my head because it just seemed too perfect for her to guess right and created the perfect tribal council drama for viewers. And for the record, I'm glad she got to stay, big fan of Lindsey.

The one thing we have seen play out over the years is that the same games, challenges, advantages, etc. eventually plays out the same or close to the same at least once so I think it was just a coincidence. Before she even picked the box I knew the result was going to be she was safe because there was still over 10 minutes left to go in the episode so you knew that there was a vote coming with that much time left. It was a 1 in 3 chance so there were good enough odds that she picks the safe box like what happened last season.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The one thing we have seen play out over the years is that the same games, challenges, advantages, etc. eventually plays out the same or close to the same at least once so I think it was just a coincidence. Before she even picked the box I knew the result was going to be she was safe because there was still over 10 minutes left to go in the episode so you knew that there was a vote coming with that much time left. It was a 1 in 3 chance so there were good enough odds that she picks the safe box like what happened last season.
Yep we'd noticed that too.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Everyone has been saying Jonathan is the toughest player. He’s not. It’s Lindsey and she just won immunity again. Not sure who goes but likely Jonathan.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Not sure why Lindsey didn't give Omer her idol. It was no good after this tribal. She said she didn't want it to come back around and be re-hidden. But I don't think that reward even can be reintroduced this late in the game.

So it makes sense when Omer asked her if she was in on it (blindside) since she didn't give him her idol.

MaryAnn definitely rose in the game-play evaluation after that.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Was a good vote tonight. Maryanne made a move that she needed to do to have any shot of winning. This group has been playing great strategy so its going to be a tough vote other than Romeo when it's gets to the end. Right now who you vote out and how you do it could be the difference for whoever wins.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Do we know if the final will be 2 players or 3? If somehow it ends up Lindsay vs Jonathan I'm not sure who wins. I assume if it's three, one is going to be Romeo regardless of who the other two would be.

Lindsay knows she's screwed now and we see that there is an idol hiding somewhere in next week's finale.

cy4life94

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2012
Cedar Rapids
Everyone has been saying Jonathan is the toughest player. He’s not. It’s Lindsey and she just won immunity again. Not sure who goes but likely Jonathan.
Agree 100%. If the challenges were just a race through an obstacle course then sure, Jonathan would probably be the best, but he is always going to struggle with the puzzles. And Lindsey is just as good at the endurance type stuff. It blows my mind that nobody is talking about her being a huge challenge threat.

I do think it will be either Lindsey or Jonathan out next week, depending on who wins, but it will be interesting to see who try’s to run the show now.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I was really disappointed after last season's Survivor that was just awful but this season is making up for it in a big way as it's one of the better seasons in recent memory IMO. A lot of likable people on this cast, the gameplay has been great, and we have 4 out of 5 people left right now that you can make an argument for deserving to win. My ranking of who would be most likely to win if they make the final 3:

1. Lindsay - has been a challenge beast and while playing hard game strategy lately has not done anything to hurt her standing with the jury IMO
2. Mike - how can you not like this guy? Hasn't done much in challenges but he has played a very good social game and with strategy to stay in it and keep the votes off him
3. Johnathan - could argue that he is number 2 as he's had a target on his back for a long time. My reason for him lower than Mike is that while he has played a good all around game he has had some awkward moments with his social game and he's been gun-shy about being too aggressive with strategy talk too because he knows if he does he puts a bigger target on him
4. Maryanne - she made a big move last night that should get the jury's attention but I think she will have to be the main driver behind one of the 3 above going home next in order to have a shot at winning
5. Romeo - he has no shot of winning. He's not been strategic at all and is lazy at camp so I don't think he has any path to winning with any combination of 2 above with him at final 3.

Maryanne and Mike have idols so we know they are in the final 4. I hope another idol does not come into play because this needs to be a tough vote if Lindsay or Johnathan does not win the next immunity challenge. I see a scenario where Mike or Maryanne wins the challenge and their move is to give their idol to one of them to save them at the next vote. I could see Mike doing that with Johnathan because I think those 2 would like to go to the end with each other but also if you are playing smart and win immunity why not give an idol to Romeo to guarantee one of the 2 biggest threats goes home. I could also see a scenario where they all say let's send the best 3 to the final 3 and just send Romeo home now so its even tougher on the jury to pick a winner with 3 deserving people left. I love the possibilities left and this should be a great finale.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I think Mary Anne vaulted herself into the top spot, even over Mike. The problem for Mike is going to be that he now has at least two members of the jury who considered him a pawn. Now, we know that he's been more than that for instance Omer doesn't get voted out if he doesn't go to Mary Anne and suggest it. The problem for him is does the jury know about his strategic gameplay or do they think he's been the shield of smarter players like Omer and Hai?

It was a double edged sword victory for Mary Anne last night. She made a big move for the jury to see her as a threat to win, but she also showed her competitors that she's a threat to win. Considering that she's awful in challenges, and lord knows if she can even start a fire her only real chance of getting to the final three is to have someone take her with them.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think Mary Anne vaulted herself into the top spot, even over Mike. The problem for Mike is going to be that he now has at least two members of the jury who considered him a pawn. Now, we know that he's been more than that for instance Omer doesn't get voted out if he doesn't go to Mary Anne and suggest it. The problem for him is does the jury know about his strategic gameplay or do they think he's been the shield of smarter players like Omer and Hai?

It was a double edged sword victory for Mary Anne last night. She made a big move for the jury to see her as a threat to win, but she also showed her competitors that she's a threat to win. Considering that she's awful in challenges, and lord knows if she can even start a fire her only real chance of getting to the final three is to have someone take her with them.

I wish they had the Survivor Ponderosa series on YouTube like they used to so you can get a glimpse of what someone tells the jury after they just got voted out. Was interesting to hear them talk about things that they maybe didn't know at the time it was happening during the game. It's going to boil down to who can argue the best case to the jury I think and how well they do that because Mike has had a good low key strategy game and he would need to sell it that he was behind some big votes even though he was not the one that openly let people know that. Omer was kind of that way too but got caught playing both sides too many times.

Was just thinking about the fire challenge last night when they showed Omer starting one how if he had to make fire to make it to the final 3 he probably wins the season with that final thing on his resume. If Maryanne has to make fire she is probably screwed as I don't think she has this whole time. Romeo is probably safe from that if something crazy does not happen but he probably would have a hard time making fire too. That fire making challenge lately has been one that sometimes gives the winner another edge with the jury some seasons too because if they were wavering on if you deserve to win or not and you make fire to earn your spot in the top 3 it can work to your advantage sometimes too.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I wish they had the Survivor Ponderosa series on YouTube like they used to so you can get a glimpse of what someone tells the jury after they just got voted out. Was interesting to hear them talk about things that they maybe didn't know at the time it was happening during the game. It's going to boil down to who can argue the best case to the jury I think and how well they do that because Mike has had a good low key strategy game and he would need to sell it that he was behind some big votes even though he was not the one that openly let people know that. Omer was kind of that way too but got caught playing both sides too many times.

Was just thinking about the fire challenge last night when they showed Omer starting one how if he had to make fire to make it to the final 3 he probably wins the season with that final thing on his resume. If Maryanne has to make fire she is probably screwed as I don't think she has this whole time. Romeo is probably safe from that if something crazy does not happen but he probably would have a hard time making fire too. That fire making challenge lately has been one that sometimes gives the winner another edge with the jury some seasons too because if they were wavering on if you deserve to win or not and you make fire to earn your spot in the top 3 it can work to your advantage sometimes too.

lol I completely forgot about Romeo, yes whoever wins the final immunity challenge will take Romeo and the remaining two will battle it out to get to the final.

My best guess is that either Lindsey or Jonathan will win the final two challenges just because so many of the challenges have come down to those two and Mary Anne and Romeo are flat out terrible in challenges.

With Mike and Mary Anne both playing idols next vote, either Jonathan or Lindsey are going home at 5 (whoever doesn't win immunity) and then whichever is left will win the final immunity. Mike and Mary Anne will battle for fire. I have no idea if Mike has been making fire this season but if I were those two I'd be practicing.

The final immunity has historically been stamina challenges but I wonder if they switch to a puzzle challenge this year as a way to give Mary Anne a chance of winning it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I am always amazed how they can get to the final 4 and nearly every season there is at least 1 player that struggles to make fire. You know coming in the saying is always "fire is key to your survival in the game." Jeff says it all the time and it's not just a metaphor it is reality because it literally can come down to a fire making challenge on whether or not you go home. If you aren't practicing that skill at some point during your time in the game you are a fool for not doing so.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I am always amazed how they can get to the final 4 and nearly every season there is at least 1 player that struggles to make fire. You know coming in the saying is always "fire is key to your survival in the game." Jeff says it all the time and it's not just a metaphor it is reality because it literally can come down to a fire making challenge on whether or not you go home. If you aren't practicing that skill at some point during your time in the game you are a fool for not doing so.

yes, especially people who come in as big fans of the show and can tell you all about the strategy of survivor.

Now, I could make the argument that if you spend months practicing making fire before the show, it might be in your best interest to not show your competitors how good you are at making fire.

I don't know how much lead time they get before they're cast and when they actually arrive on the island but the two items I would spend all my freetime on are swimming and fire making. Swimming also has the added benefit of helping you increase your endurance as well.

Reactions: CYdTracked