Stupid logo hate thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bgprest

Aug 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
A quick google search of tornado shelter symbols and I found this right away. Even it's a mono-color improvement over the bugle/poop logo.

Attachments

• tornado_icon_red.jpg
    tornado_icon_red.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Agree
Reactions: clonedude

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
This is a week old now, but I took my time returning.

I went to Norman for the game against Oklahoma (it was awesome by the way).

The Friday before the game I had scheduled myself a tour of the National Weather Center since it's in Norman and I like science. My tour was led by a very nice senior from Oklahoma studying meteorology. She showed us all sorts of cool things and neat aspects of the process of generating forecasts as well as being a student studying meteorology at OU (we had some prospective students in our group).

She kept letting us know that she welcomed any questions we had, but very few were asked. At one point, we were waiting for an elevator and she kind of joked that she felt bad since no one was asking questions. I said, "Are stupid questions ok, because I have a couple of those" and she responded that she could answer just about anything. So I asked if she was familiar with the new Iowa State secondary cyclone / tornado logo. She replied that she hadn't seen it, so I found a picture on my phone and showed her. She simply stared at it silently for what was probably less time than it seemed. Finally another person in the group asked, "Did it make you speachless?"

She handed me back my phone and simply said, "What's really sad is I'm pretty sure Iowa State has a meteorology department too."

Later on, toward the end of the tour, I asked her about the Sharknado movies, so she thinks I'm an idiot anyways.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
A quick google search of tornado shelter symbols and I found this right away. Even it's a mono-color improvement over the bugle/poop logo.
Why google tornado? I googled "cyclone" and came up with this. Change the colors to Cardinal and Gold and this beats the hell out of the Criner Tornado and is an upgrade of the new new secondary logo.

upload_2017-10-15_15-1-5.png

Last edited:

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Why google tornado? I googled "cyclone" and came up with this. Change the colors to Cardinal and Gold and this beats the hell out of the Criner Tornado and is an upgrade of the new new secondary logo.

View attachment 50822

Because our "Cyclone" is the historical cyclone which is a tornado. The current meteorological terminology is much more recent.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

CYber_saber

Mar 2, 2017
Because our "Cyclone" is the historical cyclone which is a tornado. The current meteorological terminology is much more recent.
I had this doubt initially whether a tornado is cyclone. I feel that sticking with historical perspective makes better sense.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

NetflixAndClone

Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
yeah back in the early 1900s the Midwest would call tornadoes cyclones. Nowadays cyclones refers to a large scale air mass that rotates around a strong center of low atmospheric pressure. In water this causes a hurricane and on land (mesocyclones) it can cause tornadoes.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
We will have to create a new thread near Christmas for all those who get clothing with the new logo lol.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012

The Friday before the game I had scheduled myself a tour of the National Weather Center since it's in Norman and I like science. My tour was led by a very nice senior from Oklahoma studying meteorology. She showed us all sorts of cool things and neat aspects of the process of generating forecasts as well as being a student studying meteorology at OU (we had some prospective students in our group).

She kept letting us know that she welcomed any questions we had, but very few were asked. At one point, we were waiting for an elevator and she kind of joked that she felt bad since no one was asking questions. I said, "Are stupid questions ok, because I have a couple of those" and she responded that she could answer just about anything. So I asked if she was familiar with the new Iowa State secondary cyclone / tornado logo. She replied that she hadn't seen it, so I found a picture on my phone and showed her. She simply stared at it silently for what was probably less time than it seemed. Finally another person in the group asked, "Did it make you speachless?"

She handed me back my phone and simply said, "What's really sad is I'm pretty sure Iowa State has a meteorology department too."

Later on, toward the end of the tour, I asked her about the Sharknado movies, so she thinks I'm an idiot anyways.

So what do you think of Sharknado? I think Ian Zearing is really hot. I think Wienstein got some casting couch action out of that movie.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

Did you ask her why their logo is O-U if they are the U-of-OK, not O-University.

NetflixAndClone

Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Did you ask her why their logo is O-U if they are the U-of-OK, not O-University.
That was a big 8 thing. Every school in the big 8 made their logo state letter - U.

MU, KU, OU, NU, CU, ISU, OKU, and KSU.

Even though everyone but the state schools were university of blank. Helped build conference brand identity

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

View attachment 50822

This is basically the background for our current head-logo, which I think could have been built upon for a real twister-logo.
head.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: SoapyCy