Student Section

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
Here are several reasons for diminishing attendance at The Hilton:

1- young people no longer participate in "competitive" sports. Think participation "trophies."

2- admit it ... They are techno geeks with independent lives around their eye phones. People and crowds are irrelevant outside their little hand held escape device.

3- nothing to play for ... Kansas will always win the conference With their Mickey Ds ... Football is almost as bad.

4- cannot identify with the players and some of their antics.

5- losing critical games and never overcoming the "we didn't play for x minutes".

6- no blowout wins

7- the games are too painful to watch (see 6 above).

8- I concession "gouging" prices. Ridiculous.

9- we beat Iowa ... So who cares.

10- over selling and hyping the team. Reality bites when the Clones can't win on the road except for the bottom feeders.

11- getting embarrassed on national tv against WV ... Players played like whimps ... Totally out if the game. Shameful.

12- women's basketball is truly dis functional right now. No chemistry and lack of intensity like we've seen in the past.

These are excuses a bandwagon fan would make. I would totally understand if this had come from a Hok fan, but you're part of the problem not part of the solution."Fans" like yourself drive me absolutely nuts. Try using that nothing to play for excuse to one of the players or a real fan, it'll give you some serious street cred. Last I checked, West Virginia is a top 5 team in the toughest conference in the country. They hit over 50% from three and were on their home court, relax. We're you watching when we beat Oklahoma State on the road when they were a top 15 team? Or our win in Provo? One of the 10 toughest places to play? No, probably not....bandwagon fan.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
These are excuses a bandwagon fan would make. I would totally understand if this had come from a Hok fan, but you're part of the problem not part of the solution."Fans" like yourself drive me absolutely nuts. Try using that nothing to play for excuse to one of the players or a real fan, it'll give you some serious street cred. Last I checked, West Virginia is a top 5 team in the toughest conference in the country. They hit over 50% from three and were on their home court, relax. We're you watching when we beat Oklahoma State on the road when they were a top 15 team? Or our win in Provo? One of the 10 toughest places to play? No, probably not....bandwagon fan.

Ya ... Okie State is really tearing it up in conference play ... Been a fan for a lot longer than you've been alive.

You tell people the truth ... And they can't handle the truth. Typical.

This team has either no killer instinct or they are comfortable with winning a few big games and making the tourney. If that is the gold standard ... ISU has arrived I guess. But don't expect college kids to be flocking to games. BTW ...Some of them actually have to work to pay for tuition and fee gouging.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
Well my kid there once again. He barely made it into Iowa and KU games cause he had class and went to class instead of camping. Still believe if attending some other games got you better seating for big games, would have better attendance at all games. Still think die hard students should be rewarded. And will still think this after the next game when the topic is brought up again.

THIS! Students that regularly show up need to be rewarded. I understand that you can't make every game, and I don't think that is going to be a seat killer. I always worked when I was a student, but made it to every game I could--which was most. The big problem is the students that ONLY go to the big games. They should NOT get seats for those games.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
All I know is, yesterday we needed the Hilton Coliseum that made Mike Gessell dribble pee down his leg. We didnt get it. If we have a chance Tuesday to beat Texas and move up in the league, it's because of that Hilton. If we get Saturday's Hilton again I do not like our chances.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
I honestly thought the crowd was better yesterday than the previous 3 home games, minus the students. They were worse. Poor attendance and worse energy. But kudos to the "old timers" who got up and made some noise when the team needed it

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
There just aren't enough student that want to go to games. It's really that simple. JP has got to sell less student tickets so we can fill that upper level with cheap tickets that families and cheapskates can use.

I agree 100% There are plenty of fans who want tickets to these games. And the cheapskates don't skip games either.

Given the weather conditions Hilton would have been totally fine today, except the non-existent student section dragged it down a bit.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
ISU's student section is just too big. Sell the balcony as GA and let students who want to come for big games buy a ticket like everybody else. Non-transferable single game seats picked up at the ticket office should be made available to students alone for a period of a week before those tickets are offered to the public. Problem solved.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I know alumni that still drive an hour just to tailgate before football. So 100% agree about that being a reason people don't come to bball games. Also agree JP should sell those upper deck tickets to the public.

I will admit I follow the team more now than when I saw in school. We are also a lot better now, though. I was a grizzled college alcoholic so sorry I let you all down.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
We drive from Sioux city to these games. Thru a damn blizzard yesterday. And my tix haven't gone unused since northern Illinois. Disappointing that kids don't drive a couple blocks but it isn't going to change. If us being in the top 25 almost all year doesn't get them to the games not sure what will

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I'm not going to bash the students. The athletic department either needs to oversell the student section more or they need to take away the east balcony and make it season tickets.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
It appears to me that ISU needs to sell student mbb tickets separate from the all sports passes. Students that buy the basketball passes are ones that would really want to be there. The number of seats that remain after the students purchase the basketball pass go on sale as season tickets just like the west upper area above the basket. If the remaining seats do not sell out as season tickets, open them up to single game ticket purchases when all other single ticket games go on sale. If a student doesn't want to invest in a whole season pass but wants to try to go to a KU or Iowa game then they will need to try to get tickets just like any other fan that doesn't buy season tickets. Problem solved, at least those seats would be more full during the conference than they are now....especially with the season we are having.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'm sorry that I seem to be one of the few Cyclone fans willing to run the Game Thread on reddit.
I literally laughed out loud at this. You seriously think a reddit game thread matters? Man oh man. Get off your phone and be engaged, you only get so many games to watch in your college career. You can start reddit ******** when you've graduated.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I'm not going to bash the students. The athletic department either needs to oversell the student section more or they need to take away the east balcony and make it season tickets.

I say they keep around 5-8 of the top rows in the balcony for the students and then sell the lower part as season tickets. That way the regular season ticket holders don't have to stand the whole game if the students do.

...and yes in a perfect world everyone would stand the whole game but you have to think about the families with kids, elderly, etc.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Not gonna read the whole thread as the topic has topic has been debated to death multiple times.

But what exactly does ca central committee do besides get premium seats for themselves and fans? Shouldnt they be tryin to come up with new and inventive ways to get the students involved?

Instead they do the same stupid wave left wave right thing they did back when it started in like '04, except now they half *** it as they don't care.

The only thing they do is slightly tweak the stupid games during time outs. How about they focus on getting the crowd into it during the game.

If I were the athletic dept I'd say actually do something or we are pulling your tickets and duties and finding those who will. How are these people picked for central committee anyways

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Not gonna read the whole thread as the topic has topic has been debated to death multiple times.

But what exactly does ca central committee do besides get premium seats for themselves and fans? Shouldnt they be tryin to come up with new and inventive ways to get the students involved?

Instead they do the same stupid wave left wave right thing they did back when it started in like '04, except now they half *** it as they don't care.

The only thing they do is slightly tweak the stupid games during time outs. How about they focus on getting the crowd into it during the game.
Nada.

Help Support Us

Become a patron