Student Section

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
efdcf42d0366f97c5bfdbc7a2cb54b835ed005321933f1059c982aa83fc8d1e3.jpg

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but there definitely seemed to be a lot more excitement about basketball last semester.

I think the casual fans really dropped off after the Kansas game and the 3-game losing streak. Since then we have had KSU, OU, TCU, Tech, and UT at home, each of which has had student attendance and/or behavior that raised the ire of CycloneFanatic's Senior Society.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
I haven't read the entire thread but I think the Iowa and KU games were people waited in line for over 2 hours or more and got turned away would really impact the future attendance. Waiting in the cold for that long for nothing would definitely make me think twice about whether it's worth waiting in line again.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This seems like a matter of expectations. If the balcony student section was filled with students or public general admission ticket holders, this would be a much lesser issue. JP seems to be letting this season go in order to see what the students do. Then next year, he will have some plan for filling the seats during conference play, such as sales to the public and/or a pregame pickup system for students.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I think everyone can agree that using a reward system of some type is the ideal solution to make sure the students who attend against the made up schools get dibs on Kansas/Iowa/etc. The problem with something like the Michigan and Iowa games is they're so early in the year that you aren't going to really thin out the herd much.

If you attended 12 games this year you should be guaranteed all tickets for next year. If you bought tickets and didn't attend more than 3 games you don't get any season tickets until after everyone else has had a chance to buy them. If you were at 4-11 games you're lotteried for the limited availability tickets.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I haven't read the entire thread but I think the Iowa and KU games were people waited in line for over 2 hours or more and got turned away would really impact the future attendance. Waiting in the cold for that long for nothing would definitely make me think twice about whether it's worth waiting in line again.

Wouldn't a few tweets about there being no line for most games overcome this problem?

It seems that we go from one extreme to the other.

CJ4IOWASTATE

Oct 29, 2010
grimes
The students attendance has sucked all year except for Iowa Michigan and Kansas. Sell those seats to fans that will show up.

Very disappointed in the students and lack of support.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA

This is definitely a factor but consider this: the student section was packed for those games so there are at least that many students who had a good experience and went to the game that you would think would be still supporting the team.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Oh yeah and I agree with whoever was talking about the free throw signs. Cyclone Alley dude/dudette, I know some of you are reading this, wave the freaking sign one way or the other BEFORE the guy shoots the ball. You aren't going to shift the path of the ball to the hoop with the air movement from everyone's arms waving, you need to mess with their depth perception BEFORE they shoot. Drives me nuts every game.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Oh yeah and I agree with whoever was talking about the free throw signs. Cyclone Alley dude/dudette, I know some of you are reading this, wave the freaking sign one way or the other BEFORE the guy shoots the ball. You aren't going to shift the path of the ball to the hoop with the air movement from everyone's arms waving, you need to mess with their depth perception BEFORE they shoot. Drives me nuts every game.
CycloneAlley members suck. No way they are fanatics.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

This.

Especially on the one where they stand up during the shot. Can't anyone down in the student section help them figure this out?

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
This.

Especially on the one where they stand up during the shot. Can't anyone down in the student section help them figure this out?

Exactly, someone who sits down in front point this out to those idiots at the next game.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
If it wasn't for the students the games would be pretty quiet due to all the old people taking naps in the stands

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
If it wasn't for the students the games would be pretty quiet due to all the old people taking naps in the stands

Or the students who are there that are texting or on their phone the entire time.

End of the day both groups have opportunities and to just call one out is not fair.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Or the students who are there that are texting or on their phone the entire time.

End of the day both groups have opportunities and to just call one out is not fair.

At least the students on their new fangled phone machines don't smell like soup. I thought that is what this whole thread was? Calling people out.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
We all would like to solve the ongoing empty seat problem. Hopefully we can. I think for some of us who go to all the games and are passionate fans, its hard to fathom that more students wouldn't want to be there. But I need to remind myself that not everyone likes sports or has a priority of going to games at that age. Now realize I can't see it through their eyes. Likewise, we really don't have to make fun of old people, tho, do we? I for one am hopeful that I can continue to go to games at their age, financially support the univ. like many of them do, and stand or sit whichever my body allows me to do.