Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Similar to my other cinematic universe threads (Marvel Cinematic Universe, Fox X-Men Universe, DC Extended Universe), the following is a thread completely devoted to talking ALL things related to the existing and upcoming Star Wars Universe, whether it be movies, TV shows, comics, books... etc. Below is a good graphic depicting what is meant by the Star Wars Expanded Universe and what Disney now considers canon. It is important to know that once Disney bought Lucasfilms back in 2012, they decided to reset the existing canon. What I mean by that is they declared that the only thing considered canon moving forward was all the existing saga films (Episodes 1-6), as well as the existing animated TV shows (Clone Wars, Rebels). All else, including existing books, shorts stories, comics, and even the existing Ewok movies were all removed from canon. This was and has been a very controversial topic among fans.

CA_StarChart_12-15-2015-2.jpg

Here is a more detailed and more accurate exact timeline on everything:

http://www.alltimelines.com/star-wars-timeline/canon/

Moving forward, the following is a graphic of the current upcoming schedule (the 2018 spin-off will be a Han Solo movie):

With all this said, this is the place to post any and all things Star Wars, whether that be news, opinions, reviews, rumors... etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: CloniesForLife

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Its worth noting that I've always been a huge Star Wars fan of the movies, but it hasn't been until recently that I've started to slowly make my way through all the new canon stuff. However, I'm currently only at the Clone Wars TV shows, which I'm nearly done with now. While there is a lot of them (6 seasons), I'd strongly recommend checking out the Clone Wars to any Star Wars nerd out there. They truly are worth your time and really only get better as they go along. I've heard the same thing said about the Rebels TV show. The episodes are short as well which helps.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So so sad to have Carrie Fisher pass away just recently. She will be missed and will forever be part of what originally drew me to Star Wars in the first place. Hate to have someone depart us that young. With that said moving forward, the following is an article detailing her planned involvement in Star Wars:

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-8-leia-carrie-fisher-larger-role/

Looks like she has a decent sized role in the upcoming Episode 8, which she apparently was done with filming her parts. However, it also looks like she was planned to be in Episode 9 as well, which it will be interesting how they change things up and manage the transition. The closest comparison out there as to how to deal with something like this would be the Paul Walker situation, which I think everyone thought was handled really well.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Slight update to your graphics, Episode VIII has a release date of December 15, 2017. It has been pushed back from the original May 26 date.

Reactions: Triggermv

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
In your Star Chart, is that a real timeline of the events? I ask because shouldn't Kanan be after episode 3? I didn't read it, but my understanding of the novel is that its about his survival after the clone wars/order 66.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
In your Star Chart, is that a real timeline of the events? I ask because shouldn't Kanan be after episode 3? I didn't read it, but my understanding of the novel is that its about his survival after the clone wars/order 66.

Yes, it is supposed to be an accurate timeline of everything. However, I can't speak yet to its accuracy simply because I'm still only working my way through The Clone Wars, so I'm not quite there yet.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Its worth noting that I've always been a huge Star Wars fan of the movies, but it hasn't been until recently that I've started to slowly make my way through all the new canon stuff. However, I'm currently only at the Clone Wars TV shows, which I'm nearly done with now. While there is a lot of them (6 seasons), I'd strongly recommend checking out the Clone Wars to any Star Wars nerd out there. They truly are worth your time and really only get better as they go along. I've heard the same thing said about the Rebels TV show. The episodes are short as well which helps.

Is it 6 seasons or 5? I can only find up to season 5 on Amazon. Also, is the Clone Wars movie part of season 1?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Is it 6 seasons or 5? I can only find up to season 5 on Amazon. Also, is the Clone Wars movie part of season 1?

The show was canceled after season 5. I think season 5 was right around the time when Disney bought Lucas Film and the decision was made to stop producing the shows after the season. However, there were a couple episodes, I think about 10, that were already completed and slated for season 6 when Disney decided to stop making the shows. These season 6 episodes can only be found on Netflix I think.

As for a bonus, you can also find rough cut episodes that were in the middle of production on youtube. They consist of two story arcs, and I think they are about 6-8 episodes. When I say rough cut, the CGI used in the episodes has not been completed, so you will so characters moving, but won't see their legs moving, or they will be talking, but their mouth is not moving.

• Agree
Reactions: Triggermv

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
The show was canceled after season 5. I think season 5 was right around the time when Disney bought Lucas Film and the decision was made to stop producing the shows after the season. However, there were a couple episodes, I think about 10, that were already completed and slated for season 6 when Disney decided to stop making the shows. These season 6 episodes can only be found on Netflix I think.

As for a bonus, you can also find rough cut episodes that were in the middle of production on youtube. They consist of two story arcs, and I think they are about 6-8 episodes. When I say rough cut, the CGI used in the episodes has not been completed, so you will so characters moving, but won't see their legs moving, or they will be talking, but their mouth is not moving.

I think I found season 6 on Amazon but it's called "The Lost Missions".

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

I forgot to add a link above to the more accurate and more detailed canon timeline that is available online out there, so I'd go more off of this one:

http://www.alltimelines.com/star-wars-timeline/canon/

I've since also added this above to my original post. This website also has the best timelines out there for pretty much any cinematic universe.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Yes, it is supposed to be an accurate timeline of everything. However, I can't speak yet to its accuracy simply because I'm still only working my way through The Clone Wars, so I'm not quite there yet.

I question it's accuracy based on the Han Solo movie location. No way of knowing when it's going to be for sure, but it should be before Rebels.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

The Clone Wars movie takes place right before Season 1. Its pretty much set up as just a really long first episode. However, it is worth noting that The Clone Wars movie is pretty terrible, and if it were considered an episode of The Clone Wars TV series, it would easily be one of the worst. Therefore, don't judge the TV show on that Clone Wars movie. Again, the TV show doesn't hit its stride either until after the first season.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I question it's accuracy based on the Han Solo movie location. No way of knowing when it's going to be for sure, but it should be before Rebels.

If you haven't noticed, that timeline is also a little old and not updated. It was more just the best easy graphic I found to post on here than anything. For more accuracy, I'd go off of that website I linked a few posts above.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
There are those traditionalists out there that still wish the Star Wars movies would go away from their recent December releases back to their summer (May) blockbuster release roots. Well, I hate to break it to those people, but it likely isn't happening based on Disney's success record in December with its past two releases:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-...benchmark-reached-as-rogue-one-a-star-a147755

All said and done, Disney moving Star Wars to a December release has turned out to be nothing but a home run. Not only isn't there much of anything for competition in December for them to compete with, but its movies also get a tremendous holiday second wind. Anymore, the summer blockbuster season is just too crowded for them to add to the pile, not to mention the fact that Disney doesn't want to end up competing with itself now that it owns Marvel, which usually likes a May release still for one of their movies. However, while I expect the December releases to stand, that doesn't mean we won't get any summer Star Wars movies in the future as Disney has hinted its likely plans on releasing two Star Wars movies some years in the future, if not all.

Personally, I love the December releases as it has turned into a welcome part of my holiday season, not to mention Disney likely gets a MAJOR toy Christmas boost by having Star Wars fresh on kid's mind out there. Plus, it isn't like I'm doing anything else in early December.