Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This rumor seems to have popped up in the last couple days: https://www.deseret.com/entertainme...et-sequel-trilogy-last-jedi-rise-of-skywalker Basically religating the sequal trilogy Legends status. Makes no sense to make this an official position. It's not like they are going to be bringing the old cast in for another sequel shot (RIP Carrie Fisher).

Don't believe this for a second. It's a very divisive series but nobody is going to write it out of existence. For one, you can't get rid of Rey. You just can't.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I read somewhere that Disney wants to hire George Lucas to fix their mess. It would mean firing Kathleen Kennedy as she would never agree to hand over creative control.

It's the only way I see this rumor being real, but as another poster said, it's a really high risk proposal as time is running out or already has on bringing back some of the actors (i.e. Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher).

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Probably the only thing to take from this story are that some Lucas Film employees didn't like the management of the sequel trilogy and potentially things coming down the pipeline.

But the sequel trilogy isn't going anywhere.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I read somewhere that Disney wants to hire George Lucas to fix their mess. It would mean firing Kathleen Kennedy as she would never agree to hand over creative control.

It's the only way I see this rumor being real, but as another poster said, it's a really high risk proposal as time is running out or already has on bringing back some of the actors (i.e. Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher).

Lucas to "fix" their mess? The guy created the prequel trilogy, which I don't think can be debated is worse than the sequel trilogy.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
we’ll agree to disagree. Prequel for me was more like bad story with atrocious acting.

While Hayden and Portman weren't good as actors in this film, I think a lot of the other actors were hurt by the script/dialogue.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
While Hayden and Portman weren't good as actors in this film, I think a lot of the other actors were hurt by the script/dialogue.

They all were. There have been various reports that Portman wasn’t happy with the performance but Lucas thought it was great. There is a reason why he’s better when he’s left to the story which he is elite at, and he leaves the dialogue and directing to other people.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Prequel trilogy: decent story with bad acting

Sequel trilogy: bad story with decent acting

I'll expand this a bit:

Prequel Trilogy: Good story, good trilogy planning, bad acting, bad CGI and effects (product of its time), bad dialogue, good and bad characters

Sequel Trilogy: Bad storytelling, bad trilogy planning, good acting, great CGI and effects, better dialogue, good and bad characters

The more time that passes, the more I appreciate the storytelling in the prequels, especially after watching the Clone Wars series.

Reactions: Die4Cy

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Lucas to "fix" their mess? The guy created the prequel trilogy, which I don't think can be debated is worse than the sequel trilogy.

My opinion: Lucas story telling with different writer/director would blow away prequels/sequels. Think The Mandalorian.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
My opinion: Lucas story telling with different writer/director would blow away prequels/sequels. Think The Mandalorian.

100%. I wish he was around to give people outlines and ideas for the world with the humility to allow them to run with it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
When I think Mandalorian I think Filoni. He is Lucas without the hubris. They need to put the whole future of Star Wars in his and Favreau's hands now!

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
This rumor seems to have popped up in the last couple days: https://www.deseret.com/entertainme...et-sequel-trilogy-last-jedi-rise-of-skywalker Basically religating the sequal trilogy Legends status. Makes no sense to make this an official position. It's not like they are going to be bringing the old cast in for another sequel shot (RIP Carrie Fisher).

I don't care if they do this or not. As a Star Wars fan this is just fooling around on the edges.

I just want as much Darth Vader content like the end of Rogue One that we can get. It bothers me that the way things have gone wit the gaps between the films we've been robbed of this huge potential for entertainment.

It ought to be possible to craft a story arc that involves badass Vader and characters we've not met yet. It's a big galaxy after all.