Standing Desk

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Last year, I moved to full time work from home and I'm starting to really miss my previous standing desk. Being that there are roughly 10,000 standing desk manufacturers, I'm not entirely sure who is good/bad. I'm not looking for anything special, just something sturdy and reliable. Any recommendations?

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
One of my more ambitious projects this year is to build my own. I like standing desks, but I've gotten so used to my L-shaped, I can't give that up and the standing ones for sale are outrageous. Hardware is around $500 and then whatever the cost of a nice piece of maple or oak wood for the top.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Last year, I moved to full time work from home and I'm starting to really miss my previous standing desk. Being that there are roughly 10,000 standing desk manufacturers, I'm not entirely sure who is good/bad. I'm not looking for anything special, just something sturdy and reliable. Any recommendations?

I got a new Uplift brand for our home office 18 months ago. Really happy with it overall, though to be fair I don’t have anything to compare it to. It feels sturdy at full height where I use it, even with 2 27” monitors on the back of it. It’s not super cheap (I think cost was maybe $1400 all in), but I think it’s reasonable for ‘sturdy’ furniture.

I keep meaning to get one for my office at work as well, just haven’t got around to it yet.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
You may have already, but tell your company sitting all day is causing you pain, they might pay for the desk.
I'm definitely going to try and go this route.
I tried this and was told "if you need a standing desk, you're welcome to drive into the office each day!!!" :rolleyes:
Well, they hired me and the company is in Boston, so they better not give me that nonsense.

Reactions: khardbored

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I have this one (LINK) , had it about 3 years. Works great!!!

1678035047924.png

61EZzTvW3qL._AC_SX569_.jpg

saf

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2006
Ames, IA
This is a good one, probably have a dozen of them. Just needs a top.

Reactions: legi

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Last year, I moved to full time work from home and I'm starting to really miss my previous standing desk.

I just bought a 60" Uplift V2 standing desk with a Saman butcher block top and really like it. I did not buy the commercial stand, monitor mounts, a computer stand, or keyboard tray. I have 2 monitors on it using the stands that came with the displays. This video is the one that kind of sealed the decision.

Also considered these models

1. VertDesk v3 from btod : seems solid, but didn't offer a wood top finish that I liked. They have the best sizing options, grommet options, and will round the corners if you want. Also like their basic monitor stands
  2. Fully Jarvis bamboo : fewer customization options. UpLift seems like it might be better quality
  3. MojoDesk : decided their top was too thin
My advice is to buy one that will take it back with free shipping, no questions asked, if you don't like it.

Lastly, a lot of the reviews focus on how stable the desk is when you raise it. You will see videos of people leaning on them to see if they move. Stability is important, but a lot of these videos over emphasize it. My desk is on carpet. It doesn't matter how stable the legs are, the desk top is going to move if I push on it because the carpet gives a little. I have never raised it up and thought "wow, this thing isn't sturdy". Seems solid, even on carpet.

Good luck. The choices are vast and bewildering to sift through.

H

Last edited:

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
If you are willing to spend, I recommend the Fully Jarvis. Like the last poster, I considered it vs Uplift after discovering through research that those 2 were consistently at the top. I went with Fully because the price was a few hundred dollars less. It’s really high quality, totally sturdy and it looks great. I know Uplift has more customization options but j don’t think I would have wanted to customize this anyway beyond what I got, so I’m glad I didn’t pay extra for that.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm definitely going to try and go this route.

Well, they hired me and the company is in Boston, so they better not give me that nonsense.
Do they supply you a computer, cell phones, modems and everything else for work? That will probably tell you what direction they will tend.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Also chose between fully jarvis and uplift last summer and went with fully. Happy with it. Recommend checking fb marketplace because with rtos and yrs into covid, people finding they don't need/use and sell it.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Stewo

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron