Standing Desk

rpcyclone2013

Jan 4, 2017
Nevada, IA
I run a three monitor setup. Two 24" monitors side-by-side, with the 15" laptop open and centered underneath. Right now I use the laptop keyboard and a wireless mouse. Anybody run a similar setup with a convertible or desk-top standing desk?

Everything I look at seems like the laptop would cause issues due to the depth since the desks are built for just a standard keyboard.
I got the 60 inch by 30 inch Fully Jarvis with a monitor stand mount to save desk space. I have two 27 inch monitors side by side, my laptop beneath them in the center, and then a keyboard plugged into my laptop since it doesn't have a 10-key and I'm an accountant. I opted for the model that is a manual crank to lift, but I do wish I would have gone with the electric version.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
You mean something like this? We just moved again last month and the only thing I don't like about this one is the worksurface is only 24" deep instead of 30" like my last office.

View attachment 110443
Basically, yes. My current desk has a "monitor shelf" that let's me get the big monitors high enough, but then doesn't let me push the laptop as far back as I want. And since I use the laptop's screen and keyboard, having a separate keyboard shelf - which most standing desks seem to have - doesn't help me.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I got the 60 inch by 30 inch Fully Jarvis with a monitor stand mount to save desk space. I have two 27 inch monitors side by side, my laptop beneath them in the center, and then a keyboard plugged into my laptop since it doesn't have a 10-key and I'm an accountant. I opted for the model that is a manual crank to lift, but I do wish I would have gone with the electric version.
I got a big laptop that includes the number pad to the right of the keyboard. Otherwise I'd figure out how to fit in a full size plug in keyboard.

DreamyFred21

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2012
Grimes
If you're tall, I'd recommend an Uplift desk. Mine goes up to 51" while most standing desks are capped at 46-48". I'm 6' 6", so I needed the extra height or else I'd be slouching down which defeats the whole purpose of a standing desk in the first place.

An extra 3" can make all the difference

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I have a couple of these in my classroom. A couple of issues:
  • So many wires
  • The buttons are cheap and snap off
  • Sometimes the hydraulics got out of synch and you'd have one side slightly higher than the other
Positives though:
  • The table part is really thick
  • It's quiet
  • It rises and lowers pretty quickly
I wonder if maybe I have a different model than what is in the link? Or, maybe an older one? The buttons are flush and seems like they would be hard to snap off. I've had it like 5 years, no issues.

I suppose it's also possible that in my home office it's a little more cherished and protected than in a classroom enviornment???

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Not desk related, but if you ever have an office with a carpet floor (i.e. spare bedroom or whatnot) the Vitrazza glass floor mats are amazing. I've had one now for 8 years and can't imagine those old squishy, brittle, plastic pieces of crap. They aren't cheap, but I've had just about everything possible happen to mine - and I've grown into a big dude - and it's like new.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron