STAFF PICKS: Xavier Foster

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This should be a fun weekend of ups and downs in this thread.
What to expect:

Random EIU source will tell as CF'r XF is choosing Fran, and it'll be shared in this thread, followed by a handful of people taking it as fact and explaining that they never thought Xavier would be a Cyclone, and then Cytwins and/or Arctic calming everyone down reaffirming the staffs confidence the direction is done to ISU.
(Btw i am guessing Walker is the frosh recruit they are highest on, they prioritized him quickly and had glowing comments once he committed.)

I am curious if XF does go to the Iowa game tonight and picking ISU on Monday... that would be Niang level of trolling EIU. That is the type of move that Hok fans will have nightmares about for years for all recruits. Worse sting than Ulis choice of UK.

XF should probable not go to IC for both fan bases sanity this weekend but I sorta just want to see it happen to watch EIU boards burn for weeks.

Possible scenario. XF told Fran he's heading to Ames. Fran begged him to one more visit. XF too nice to say no.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CyclonesRock

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
And when exactly was it that there wasn't much separation?

Was it when Monte was a true freshman and Gesell was a sophomore? When Monte had a higher 2P%, 3P%, FT%, R (both O and D), B, A/TO ratio?

Or was it Monte's sophomore year when Gesell was a junior? When Monte had a higher 2P%, 3P% (by over 12%), FT%, R (both O and D), A, B, A/TO ratio, points?

You don't really want me to post Monte's junior year (Gesell's senior year) do you? Probably not since Gesell only led Monte on FT% (by less than 1.5%), TO (and not in a good way), and PF.

So when was this again that there wasn't much separation? Oh sorry, maybe it was Gesell's freshman year when Monte had no college stats.
I've said this many times when speaking about takes made by Iowa fans on this board.. and I'll say it again. That was one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
So where is everybody seeing foster is visiting iowa ****** again tonight?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Watching a meltdown is hilarious -- in sports or politics or anything.

Being part of one... not so much.

I applaud you for being able to keep your distance from these expectations as a fan, but the "insider" crew on here (and including CW in that now) has raised mine pretty high for this one. Not just to acquire Foster -- a nice recruit to have but not defining the program one way or another -- but just wanting to see Iowa nuke itself.

I would really miss not being able to watch Iowa go supernova. Them gloating over it would not affect me much, at least, given they will still suck. Watching them stare into the smoldering ruin of this recruiting class... man, that is some high-quality entertainment. I really hope we are not robbed of such joy early next week.
I would not be able to stomach Iowa fans rejoicing. I WOULD be able to watch this board burn. Not as much as watching Iowa boards burn, however. Not even close.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
What’s kinda sad is i genuinely do believe Xavier knows where he wants to go and has known for a while but daddy, his HS coach and other external contacts are pushing him to keep Iowa in this to “be absolutely certain” which is fine to a degree but at some point you can only visit with a coach so many times, see carver 1/4 full, hangout with the team, etc etc before you know in your heart where you want to go. If you’ll recall, earlier this year XF wanted to cut his list down and daddy had to step in and do damage control and say that wasn’t right “we haven’t made a decision”.

I know people will try and spin this as “dads just being a good parent. He’s involved.” All that. And yes i agree it’s good to have a parents input but this is getting ridiculous. He’s WAY more involved and overbearing that he needs to be and i say all that still very confident he’ll pick ISU

it seems like Dad may be enjoying the process for himself and not for his kid.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Remember when Allen went to Notre Dame after his verbal and everyone freaked out. And then Paul went on his rant on signing day?

That was fun.

So was this...

NFL-Draft-Allen-Lazard.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
What’s kinda sad is i genuinely do believe Xavier knows where he wants to go and has known for a while but daddy, his HS coach and other external contacts are pushing him to keep Iowa in this to “be absolutely certain” which is fine to a degree but at some point you can only visit with a coach so many times, see carver 1/4 full, hangout with the team, etc etc before you know in your heart where you want to go. If you’ll recall, earlier this year XF wanted to cut his list down and daddy had to step in and do damage control and say that wasn’t right “we haven’t made a decision”.

I know people will try and spin this as “dads just being a good parent. He’s involved.” All that. And yes i agree it’s good to have a parents input but this is getting ridiculous. He’s WAY more involved and overbearing that he needs to be and i say all that still very confident he’ll pick ISU
How is this getting ridiculous? It is early November. The kid doesn't have to be on campus until August. He is announcing on November 11. He can't even sign a LOI until November 13 - and that is the early signing period. There are a lot of top 100 recruits who won't be deciding until the late signing period in April and May.

Let the kid enjoy his recruitment for Pete's sake. Next year at this time no matter which school he goes to he will be getting blasted by the fan base because he isn't living up to their totally unreasonable expectations of a true freshman.

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
Watching a meltdown is hilarious -- in sports or politics or anything.

Being part of one... not so much.

I applaud you for being able to keep your distance from these expectations as a fan, but the "insider" crew on here (and including CW in that now) has raised mine pretty high for this one. Not just to acquire Foster -- a nice recruit to have but not defining the program one way or another -- but just wanting to see Iowa nuke itself.

I would really miss not being able to watch Iowa go supernova. Them gloating over it would not affect me much, at least, given they will still suck. Watching them stare into the smoldering ruin of this recruiting class... man, that is some high-quality entertainment. I really hope we are not robbed of such joy early next week.
Sig...you nailed it! Exactly how feel about the the whole thing. Especially the bold.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sigmapolis

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I'd be surprised if his high school coach doesn't have a tigerhawk tattoo

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
How is this getting ridiculous? It is early November. The kid doesn't have to be on campus until August. He is announcing on November 11. He can't even sign a LOI until November 13 - and that is the early signing period. There are a lot of top 100 recruits who won't be deciding until the late signing period in April and May.

Let the kid enjoy his recruitment for Pete's sake. Next year at this time no matter which school he goes to he will be getting blasted by the fan base because he isn't living up to their totally unreasonable expectations of a true freshman.

I think Arctic is saying the kid may be ready to commit and the dad (and high school coach) are dragging it out for their benefit not xaviers.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

His grandfather played football at Iowa correct? A lot of variables to consider I'm sure the father is feeling that pressure.

The recruitment has been strange. As a parent, it's his son though. Hopefully he simply has the best interests of his son at heart and just wants him to make the right (informed) decision. They set an announcement date for a reason.

You seem pretty close to the situation however and clearly pretty frustrated. I can only imagine how the coaching staff feels. Highly publicized recruitment with a ton of pressure to win it. We will find out Monday morning.

• Agree
Reactions: Dormeezy

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

It shouldn't, and probably doesn't matter, but I'm about 90% sure that his dad reads this board and this thread.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
it seems like Dad may be enjoying the process for himself and not for his kid.

If he was my kid I would enjoy the process, and would protect my kid from having to answer a bunch of questions and if it pissed off some fans who live in I need to know now moment so be it.

My kid got letters to play baseball, saw his hitting and running said look great, then saw his arm and said well son you have work to do. :) But it was still fun and exciting and I enjoyed see the letters almost as much as my son.

It actually sounds like he is letting the kid make the decision, and not pushing for an answer. Much better approach vs handlers, coaches and parents who tell a kid where to go.

They don't owe you or anyone any answers, they gave a time and place when they will let people know, just let it happen

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: ComCY and jcyclonee

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
And when exactly was it that there wasn't much separation?

Was it when Monte was a true freshman and Gesell was a sophomore? When Monte had a higher 2P%, 3P%, FT%, R (both O and D), B, A/TO ratio?

Or was it Monte's sophomore year when Gesell was a junior? When Monte had a higher 2P%, 3P% (by over 12%), FT%, R (both O and D), A, B, A/TO ratio, points?

You don't really want me to post Monte's junior year (Gesell's senior year) do you? Probably not since Gesell only led Monte on FT% (by less than 1.5%), TO (and not in a good way), and PF.

So when was this again that there wasn't much separation? Oh sorry, maybe it was Gesell's freshman year when Monte had no college stats.

Maybe it was when Monte was destroying and redestroying the NCAA record for assist-to-turnover ratio and hitting game-winning floaters while Gesell was leaving puddles of pee at the free throw line with the game on the line.