STAFF PICKS: Fran McCaffery

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
The worst part of all of this - is that you know that Iowa is going to shoot like 60% from the field against us, with Bohannon hitting about 5 3's. This is all before they end the year with 12 wins (but they beat Iowa State!)

I never tire of posting this:
e9f8d9d5f1e457ddabaa3a5326ad96f7.jpeg

Reactions: cyfan21

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
The Lickliter thing will never not be funny. Ten years later, and it's still offered as an excuse by some. For crying out loud, Tokyo recovers faster from Godzilla attacks.

I don't know. The Ken Trickey era in the 70s set us back quite a few decades.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Wieskamp pretty obviously made a bad career decision. Unless he hates the idea of being paid to play basketball some day, I mean Iowa is a fine school otherwise if you don't want that option. Who knows what offers he'd have if he hadn't been all in on Mad Fran.

It's not unlike a ton of 18 year olds who make a bad choice with their career or college major right after high school.

Now mulling over my summer of '69 decision to major in landscape architecture. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Cyder91

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Never gets old. I especially laughed at the "caught a fan knitting" bit. My mother-in-law goes to a lot of football and basketball games with my father in law and she doesn't knit but she always has at least one book with her to read during the game. Drives the fans around her crazy.

If you’re bringing a distraction to what is supposed to be your main entertainment for the night, might want to rethink your hobbies.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I only hear about UI basketball on the periphery, so I apologize for my ignorance. Is it true that Fran has his two sons on the team? Are they any good? Did they have other D1 offers? Or is this nepotism at its apex?

The one from last year dribbles like he's learning to dribble, and pretty sure he was playing PG last night.

No worries though--he'll shove his way to the hoop vs. ISU...it's his dream to quiet a Hilton crowd with his, um, 'skills'.

I think the other one was out there last night...him vs. what Michigan State usually rolls out there for big men is an interesting thought.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If you’re bringing a distraction to what is supposed to be your main entertainment for the night, might want to rethink your hobbies.

I don't blame her for wanting to spend time with her boys (their son also frequently goes with them). And I also don't blame her for wanting something else to do during game breaks and stuff. She's not a big sports person; she just likes the family time.

• Agree
Reactions: wclarson and ISC

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I don't blame her for wanting to spend time with her boys (their son also frequently goes with them). And I also don't blame her for wanting something else to do during game breaks and stuff. She's not a big sports person; she just likes the family time.

Families are replaceable

(jimlad)

• Funny
Reactions: jbindm

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
It’s crazy how DePaul went from being picked preseason last in their conference to Natty Championship contenders overnight.
To be fair the Big East is pretty stacked this year.
St John's (usually solid fundamentally)
Seton Hall (ranked)
Villanova (Always good)
Xavier (Not sure on them this year)
Georgetown (Not sure this year but play tough)
Creighton
Butler
Marquette
Providence
DePaul

I think DePaul could surprise a bit this year (They look pretty athletic although turnovers will doom them.) Not a tournament team, but they should be competitive with better teams. Just shouldn't blow out a home team by 20+ points.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ISC

Help Support Us

Become a patron