STAFF PICKS: Fran McCaffery

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
There is a very fine line to walk here. On one-hand you want Fran to keep finding a few random successes to keep his job for awhile. But on the flip-side, you don't want him to outlast Barta and give a new AD a chance at righting the ship. The best case scenario is Barta letting Fran go towards the end of his buyout and letting Barta make another inept coaching hire.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
As someone who grew up in the 80s and 90s, it blows my mind a little that there's an entire generation of Iowa fans who have no experience with or memory of their program being a consistent winner.
I’m amazed they were ever anything but an afterthought.

They’re still largely getting the instate kids, but it takes a great coach with a niche system to win in the P5 that way. That was never sustainable. Non-tavernhawks and kids from other states don’t want to play at an afterthought that’s a wrestling school.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I know Bohannon is all Hawk, but was just thinking after looking at this score, would Bohannon consider sitting out and then grad transferring? That would be hilarious because if Wieskamp leaves too that would leave that team at Lickliter bad.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
There is a very fine line to walk here. On one-hand you want Fran to keep finding a few random successes to keep his job for awhile. But on the flip-side, you don't want him to outlast Barta and give a new AD a chance at righting the ship. The best case scenario is Barta letting Fran go towards the end of his buyout and letting Barta make another inept coaching hire.

Its almost to the point that you have to decide to root for when we play them. Obviously you want to win but if he beats us he's guaranteed to not get fired

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I know Bohannon is all Hawk, but was just thinking after looking at this score, would Bohannon consider sitting out and then grad transferring? That would be hilarious because if Wieskamp leaves too that would leave that team at Lickliter bad.

He doesn't like Fran. Gordy hates Fran. Wouldn't surprise me honestly

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I thought we were shaping up to have a rough weekend after the Foster news seemed to turn against us. Obviously that took a big positive turn yesterday.

But what a dismal day for Iowa basketball. These are dark times. They missed on a recruit they desperately needed, which would only have partially salvaged an otherwise abysmal recruiting operation. A mediocre at best roster. A coach so "beloved" they didn't even announce his contract extension publicly, and that they're anchored to thanks to a huge buyout. I don't watch their games much but I assume attendance, always shaky in CHA, will fall of a cliff soon.

Nothing dooms a program like the absence of hope, and if they haven't reached that point yet they're speeding toward it. Which is kind of a shame, because it's in our best interest as Cyclone fans that Fran does just enough to keep himself viable in Iowa City for many years to come.

You didn't even mention crippling awkward organization poisoning nepotism.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Wieskamp pretty obviously made a bad career decision. Unless he hates the idea of being paid to play basketball some day, I mean Iowa is a fine school otherwise if you don't want that option. Who knows what offers he'd have if he hadn't been all in on Mad Fran.

It's not unlike a ton of 18 year olds who make a bad choice with their career or college major right after high school.

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
The best thing I saw was a hok fan on Reddit claiming that Iowa’s lack of success was because of CHA being too far from the “heart of campus”. You can’t make this **** up.

• Funny
Reactions: ISC

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The best thing I saw was a hok fan on Reddit claiming that Iowa’s lack of success was because of CHA being too far from the “heart of campus”. You can’t make this **** up.

Reminds me of all the years pathetic Cubs fans blamed losing on playing day games.

CHA isn't any further from the center of campus than Hilton. It might be more central.

I went to wrestling camp at Iowa as a 9 year old kid and walked to Carver from the dorms like it was no big deal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron