STAFF PICKS: Fran McCaffery

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Great tweets from Mad Chad!! He seems to be moving to wrestling already!

upload_2019-11-12_7-35-59.png

Even Fran is getting ready to wave the white flag!!

upload_2019-11-12_7-37-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-12_7-35-14.png
    upload_2019-11-12_7-35-14.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 163
  • upload_2019-11-12_7-35-51.png
    upload_2019-11-12_7-35-51.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 118

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
He's got a good group of young men. He deserves time to get the program to where he wants it to be. People forget about Lickliter
The Lickliter thing will never not be funny. Ten years later, and it's still offered as an excuse by some. For crying out loud, Tokyo recovers faster from Godzilla attacks.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I thought we were shaping up to have a rough weekend after the Foster news seemed to turn against us. Obviously that took a big positive turn yesterday.

But what a dismal day for Iowa basketball. These are dark times. They missed on a recruit they desperately needed, which would only have partially salvaged an otherwise abysmal recruiting operation. A mediocre at best roster. A coach so "beloved" they didn't even announce his contract extension publicly, and that they're anchored to thanks to a huge buyout. I don't watch their games much but I assume attendance, always shaky in CHA, will fall of a cliff soon.

Nothing dooms a program like the absence of hope, and if they haven't reached that point yet they're speeding toward it. Which is kind of a shame, because it's in our best interest as Cyclone fans that Fran does just enough to keep himself viable in Iowa City for many years to come.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I thought we were shaping up to have a rough weekend after the Foster news seemed to turn against us. Obviously that took a big positive turn yesterday.

But what a dismal day for Iowa basketball. These are dark times. They missed on a recruit they desperately needed, which would only have partially salvaged an otherwise abysmal recruiting operation. A mediocre at best roster. A coach so "beloved" they didn't even announce his contract extension publicly, and that they're anchored to thanks to a huge buyout. I don't watch their games much but I assume attendance, always shaky in CHA, will fall of a cliff soon.

Nothing dooms a program like the absence of hope, and if they haven't reached that point yet they're speeding toward it. Which is kind of a shame, because it's in our best interest as Cyclone fans that Fran does just enough to keep himself viable in Iowa City for many years to come.

I only hear about UI basketball on the periphery, so I apologize for my ignorance. Is it true that Fran has his two sons on the team? Are they any good? Did they have other D1 offers? Or is this nepotism at its apex?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Any program could get lucky in a transition, but Iowa could do worse than Fran. It’s a tough job.

Lickliter was a National COY that found Iowa so tough he went D3.

Alford only had three 20-win seasons in 8 years, but given it was at Iowa it was enough to get him a promotion and continue up the career ladder, ending up at a blue blood.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I only hear about UI basketball on the periphery, so I apologize for my ignorance. Is it true that Fran has his two sons on the team? Are they any good? Did they have other D1 offers? Or is this nepotism at its apex?

I thought at least one of them, if not both, was a legit D-1 player. But honestly once the BTN started up and most of Iowa's games moved over there, Iowa basketball fell off the face of the earth for me. I see them when they play ISU and very rarely beyond that.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I thought at least one of them, if not both, was a legit D-1 player. But honestly once the BTN started up and most of Iowa's games moved over there, Iowa basketball fell off the face of the earth for me. I see them when they play ISU and very rarely beyond that.

I didn't even turn it on when I knew the rout was on.

I'd usually do that a few years back.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Any program could get lucky in a transition, but Iowa could do worse than Fran. It’s a tough job.

Lickliter was a National COY that found Iowa so tough he went D3.

Alford only had three 20-win seasons in 8 years, but given it was at Iowa it was enough to get him a promotion and continue up the career ladder, ending up at a blue blood.

As someone who grew up in the 80s and 90s, it blows my mind a little that there's an entire generation of Iowa fans who have no experience with or memory of their program being a consistent winner.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron