So, it's now Lincoln's program ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Lincoln Riley is now running the OU program with his players and his culture. Bob Stoops is watching from on-high. So, it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out, as OU is going into a very tough bounceback test at Ames. Only Stillwater would have been tougher.

Their offensive line was supposed to be a Sooner strength, it's not. It's weak at both tackle positions. Jaquan Bailey will feast in their backfield if that's not fixed.

And OU's defense was at times defenseless against EMAW. Purdy and Hall will be a bigger challenge.

At some point, Riley may have wished he took one of those NFL jobs. The Clones will surely be just as dangerous and motivated as K-State come Saturday.

For fans of the conference, this game is as fascinating as watching sharks in the water. Matt Campbell has the stage. Lincoln Riley has the chore.

Last edited:

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Lincoln Riley is now running the OU program with his players and his culture. Bob Stoops is watching from on-high. So, it's going to be interesting to see how this plays out, as OU is going into a very tough bounceback test at Ames. Only Stillwater would have been tougher.

Their offensive line was supposed to be a Sooner strength, it's not. It's weak at both tackle positions. Jaquan Bailey will feast in their backfield if that's not fixed.

And OU's defense was at times defenseless against EMAW. Purdy and Hall will be a bigger challenge.

At some point, Riley may have wished he took one of those NFL jobs. The Clones will surely be just as dangerous and motivated as K-State come Saturday.

For fans of the conference, this game is as fascinating as watching sharks in the water. Matt Campbell has the stage. Lincoln Riley has the chore.
Hope you’re right Surly

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
OU definitely seems to be prone to giving up big leads. Their defense always seems fragile under Riley. They'll look good for a while, but once they give up a big play or two they just curl up into a ball and feel sorry for themselves. Part of it probably comes from thinking they can rely on the offense to score 40-50 points, so they don't have any sense of urgency to get stops.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN

I might argue a night game in Ames, IA is much tougher than Stillwater would be for this particular weekend. My reasoning is the psychological edge the Sooner have in that series, which also has a rivalry pitch to it. The ISU/OU serives is becoming competitive, but it has a long way to go before you could call it a rivalry. Until then, ISU will retain the underdog edge.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Don't know much about OU but reading that they are weak at tackles has got to have Heacock drooling...
Can we please blitz at least once in every defensive series? Hell, if we were playing 10 yards off TCU receivers, why not blitz a corner once in a while? Asking for my wife ...

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
It's interesting you write that, Remo, because coach Klieman said a key to K-State defending OU was being able to rush with just four (not blitzing), thus giving max coverage on the backside. K-State never sent a blitz Saturday, that I recall anyway, but got to the rattler time-after-time.

I see ISU doing that as well because, as I wrote earlier, OU's line is not very good sans their center who is a stud. Their tackles are particularly weak. And ISU reportedly has the B12's strongest defensive line.

Reactions: aauummm

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's interesting you write that, Remo, because coach Klieman said a key to K-State defending OU was being able to rush with just four (not blitzing), thus giving max coverage on the backside. K-State never sent a blitz Saturday, that I recall anyway, but got to the rattler time-after-time.

I see ISU doing that as well because, as I wrote earlier, OU's line is not very good sans their center who is a stud. Their tackles are particularly weak. And ISU reportedly has the B12's strongest defensive line.
With ISU's defense "blitzing" and "only rushing 4" are not mutually exclusive.

(ISU plays a three man front)

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Yeah, the three-man front is different in that respect. I guess if ISU brings 4 every down then they're conceptionally the same scheme.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah, the three-man front is different in that respect. I guess if ISU brings 4 every down then they're conceptionally the same scheme.
They don't. They rush just 3 a good deal of the time. Most of ISU's 10 sacks this year have come with just a 3 man rush. They just strategically bring a 4th now and then.

Reactions: surly

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
I would like to see two rush ends over the strong side tackle. could you imagine Bailey over the tackle and McDonald two steps outside of Bailey. I would like to see a 4 2 5 defense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron