So I had a vasectomy yesterday

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I have my doubts that all of the people claiming to have complications really did ;)

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
No complications. Wear compression shorts for a week or so. Had mine done on Thursday afternoon and was back at work on Monday and, frankly, could have gone back on Friday if I had wanted to.

Had mine done by a urologist in office, no scalpel. Every horror story I've ever heard involves letting a general practice doc do it.

Whole other discussion but for our second the wife had a c-section scheduled and was going to have a tubal at the same time but the baby had other ideas and came three weeks early. She still had the c-section but they wouldn't do the tubal because it had been less than 30 days since she signed the paperwork. For me, I saw the urologist on Tuesday and had the procedure on Thursday.

agardini

Nov 12, 2009
I know a couple guys that have ongoing pain from a vasectomy for years after the procedure. When they finish it feels like they got punched in the balls. Doctors told them its rare, but nothing they can do about it, take some ibuprofen. Yeah... Ill pass.

So my wife got the tubal and was down 3-4 days, I couldnt be happier.

Had mine done over a year ago at the iowa clinic. The only painful part of the procedure was when they injected the numbing medicine into the tubes. Like very brief searing pain. Had pretty bad discomfort for a couple weeks and one side swelled up pretty good. A year later and there is still discomfort down there, but not constant. Seems like I'm that 1-2% that have longer term discomfort from it. Oh well. It sucks, but having another kid would suck more.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
If you are even considering having kids in the future, don't have it done. Evidently the procedure to reverse it is pretty difficult and I'd be leery of insurance covering it.
I had a reversal done. It's a 3-4 hour surgery vs the 15 minute vasectomy. Hurts worse, for longer. Insurance covers zero - cost us $5000 I think. Ended up not working (5 years post vasectomy). No refunds.

On the bright side, we started down the path of foster-to-adopt and ended up with an incredible little red headed boy with Down Syndrome. He's been in our house since 7 weeks, adopted him at 18 months, and he'll be 3 in a couple weeks.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
And I've had zero pain. No Tylenol, no ice, no swelling, nothing. No need for it as I feel completely normal.

Anyone else had it this easy? Am I a robot?

Impossible. As some of you may know, whenever I want to know the facts on any subject, I turn to TV sitcoms, the go-to source for all book larnin'. And according to Thursday night's episode of the Unicorn, you should be lying on the couch with a bag of frozen peas in your crotch and grimmacing in pain every time you laugh.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
  • Wow
Reactions: cyfanatic

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Talking about this mobile service with my husband: in response to his "why?" I compared it to the TNR of stray tomcats. His respomse...
Me OWWW!!
Full disclosure - he had it done years ago...