Skydiving

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Just a little tidbit that you have a greater chance of dying on the way to the airport than you do actually skydiving :)

I was just wondering what the chances of this are after seeing everybody say they stopped once having kids.

I mean I get the whole self preservation thing once you have people depending on you, I'd just think there are a lot of other more dangerous things you could eliminate from your life before the very occasional skydiving session. To each their own, though, for sure.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Just a little tidbit that you have a greater chance of dying on the way to the airport than you do actually skydiving :)

5695219_std.jpg

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

I just checked. My chances of dying while skydiving dramatically decrease when I don't do it.

I wish I had gone when younger, but, yeah, having kids makes you re-think certain risks. It's true there are a lot of ways to die, but this one is much easier to avoid.

Of course, I say that and later this month I'm flying to CA to climb Mount Whitney with my brother. Maybe I'll change my name to hypocriticalifyoudid

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I just checked. My chances of dying while skydiving dramatically decrease when I don't do it.

I wish I had gone when younger, but, yeah, having kids makes you re-think certain risks. It's true there are a lot of ways to die, but this one is much easier to avoid.

Of course, I say that and later this month I'm flying to CA to climb Mount Whitney with my brother. Maybe I'll change my name to hypocriticalifyoudid

Had 28 jumps. Freefalling after 8 jumps. "Graduated" after 11 jumps. Did 4 doubles which is a kick when you have a frame of reference in the sky. Loved it but we were at a smaller drop zone where I would spend most of the day and maybe get 2 jumps in.

Quit, sold all my gear and have NEVER had a bad skydiving dream!

I would LOVE to do an indoor "jump" sometime - looks fun without the cost and time commitment.

Weekend after next I have glider lessons! Won't pursue more than a few flights, but still fun - for me anyway.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Had 28 jumps. Freefalling after 8 jumps. "Graduated" after 11 jumps. Did 4 doubles which is a kick when you have a frame of reference in the sky. Loved it but we were at a smaller drop zone where I would spend most of the day and maybe get 2 jumps in.

Quit, sold all my gear and have NEVER had a bad skydiving dream!

I would LOVE to do an indoor "jump" sometime - looks fun without the cost and time commitment.

Weekend after next I have glider lessons! Won't pursue more than a few flights, but still fun - for me anyway.
Flying a glider has got to be cool

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I went about 10 years ago in Cairnes, Australia. It was pretty awesome. I have always wanted to get into skydiving so I could do a solo jump, however it's a fairly expensive hobby.

I would also recommend everyone try Bungee Jumping as well. I did this the day before skydiving and feel like it was a bigger rush as you are so close to the ground initially. Skydiving you are so high up it's just unreal.

What I really want to do and is on my bucket list is to go Base Jumping, preferably at the Cave of Swallows.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
If you don't mind sharing, how much is a jump like this and how much goes into it? Meaning, you show up and jump? A few hours of training? Thanks!

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
If you don't mind sharing, how much is a jump like this and how much goes into it? Meaning, you show up and jump? A few hours of training? Thanks!

IIRC (this was 10 years ago), it was a little under an hour of "training". I think we watched a little safety video, they talked to you about the suit and how the jump would go (take off to landing) and the procedures that go with each. Then hop on the plane and go! Don't need to really worry about the training, you'll be doing a tandem so basically the guy will push you out of the plane, and then land you. All you have to do is put your feet up.

Prices from the Des Moines SkyDive website.

Tandem Prices
30 Second Freefall ....................... $210
50 Second Freefall ....................... $220
Video & Stills .............................. $100
Video or Stills ................................ $80
Booking Deposit ............................. $20

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
IIRC (this was 10 years ago), it was a little under an hour of "training". I think we watched a little safety video, they talked to you about the suit and how the jump would go (take off to landing) and the procedures that go with each. Then hop on the plane and go! Don't need to really worry about the training, you'll be doing a tandem so basically the guy will push you out of the plane, and then land you. All you have to do is put your feet up.

Prices from the Des Moines SkyDive website.

Tandem Prices
30 Second Freefall ....................... $210
50 Second Freefall ....................... $220
Video & Stills .............................. $100
Video or Stills ................................ $80
Booking Deposit ............................. $20

Thanks! Definitely on my bucket list and I should just plan on doing it. THose prices are not bad, really...except the photo.....but would love to have it captured...and heck, for $10 more, why not grab 20 extra seconds?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Thanks! Definitely on my bucket list and I should just plan on doing it. THose prices are not bad, really...except the photo.....but would love to have it captured...and heck, for $10 more, why not grab 20 extra seconds?

Ya that's a good deal, I was surprised the upcharge for extra airtime was so low. When I did it in Australia it was like $100 difference.

Bu4ISU

Sep 2, 2012
Seattle
I went for the 50 second free fall, and we went in with a group of 12 and my final price was 185, but then I was the only one in our group that had video done so my total was 285. Every single one of the guys had wished they also got video and pictures, defiently well worth it. As far as training we watched a 5 minute video that no one actually watched, and then I did about 5 minutes of "where to put your body parts when you're in the air" training with my tandem guy. So training is extremely minimal

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Question for you guys. Is anybody on the Skydiving club at ISU or have been?

I was back in the early 80s. I was taking the first jump class and while at a football game the head of the club - I THINK his name was Hashim??? jumped in to start the game and broke his leg on landing. My Mom was not amused.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I was back in the early 80s. I was taking the first jump class and while at a football game the head of the club - I THINK his name was Hashim??? jumped in to start the game and broke his leg on landing. My Mom was not amused.
Hashem Hashemi. I just looked him up online and see he surpassed 16,000 jumps last year

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I did 6 static line jumps in Winterset before running out of money. It was awesome! It makes you feel more "alive" than you've ever felt before. Just sitting in the doorway with you're feet dangling is great and then you crawl out on the strut and hang there until you're instructor tells you to go. Ten seconds later you're floating around under the chute doing S turns and ****. And landing is not hard at all. You just circle the LZ and make sure you land into the wind. I practically stuck the landing the first time. Definitely going again in the future.