SI Article: Possible NC run

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
What? How can this be a serious article without including Iowa as a potential national champion? (Now watch as the Gods of Irony help Iowa win the whole thing.)

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
What? How can this be a serious article without including Iowa as a potential national champion? (Now watch as the Gods of Irony help Iowa win the whole thing.)

Depth = deep tourney run....see the Hawkeyes last year, almost won the title.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

If Iowa wins, it will be more like the gods of pepto bismol that did it.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
I enjoy seeing Iowa State get more national recognition like this, but I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves talking about a national title now. Let's just take care of business and win the conference games we should... hopefully win the Big 12, and then see what happens!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I enjoy seeing Iowa State get more national recognition like this, but I think people are getting a little ahead of themselves talking about a national title now. Let's just take care of business and win the conference games we should... hopefully win the Big 12, and then see what happens!

See, when you're in the top 10 of about every poll/computer ranking/opinion piece out there, you're a legitimate contender for that national title.

The odds are that our season ends with some heartbreak, like every other team out there except the champion, but talking about the possibility is fully relevant and timely now. This team has earned that.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
The team fully deserves the respect of every team they play going forward. The Cyclones are a legit team no question. To start the season, my expectations for this team was to contend for a spot in the big dance. Now I'm adjusting that to the possibility for a solid run. Honestly I would be disappointed if we did not make the Sweet 16. It's just that so many things have to go right to win the NC that I'm hesitant about the idea at this point.

See, when you're in the top 10 of about every poll/computer ranking/opinion piece out there, you're a legitimate contender for that national title.

The odds are that our season ends with some heartbreak, like every other team out there except the champion, but talking about the possibility is fully relevant and timely now. This team has earned that.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
So much for this being a down year. I was saving up the money to go to the Final Four in 2015 when Rashad Vaughn comes. Looks like I'm going to two!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

It is nice to be top ten early than only late in the season and then get jetisoned anyway.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
You mean this is like rushing the court for the national runnerup champ Hoks?

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The team fully deserves the respect of every team they play going forward. The Cyclones are a legit team no question. To start the season, my expectations for this team was to contend for a spot in the big dance. Now I'm adjusting that to the possibility for a solid run. Honestly I would be disappointed if we did not make the Sweet 16. It's just that so many things have to go right to win the NC that I'm hesitant about the idea at this point.

I agree completely with this.
Going in saying "National Title or Bust" would be stupid, for the reasons you mentioned.
I'm only calling it a possibility, because we're a contender. Going from possibility to demanding or expecting requires ignoring that there are 10-20 strong contenders in each tournament, and that the tournament happens.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
no don't worry their coach will **** it up for them like he did in wisky.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines

I agree that its too early to be expecting a NC run. Like other posters I just like being considered a threat. We are a legit sweet 16/ elite 8 for sure. Talk to me in March about anything more than that.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
We are most certainly getting ahead of ourselves with this National Championship talk. Listen, it was a nice gesture by Coach Scott Drew and nice article by SI. But we need to just take it one game at a time..

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron