SEC conference only

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
And some really think we are going to have a season? Start MAYBE, but we will never finish, and there will be NO fans for more than a game or two without a vaccine.

Hows that herd immunity going? You’d think if we were anywhere close to that then no one would be trying that hard to create a vaccine right?
and again who's to say that we will be able to produce an actual vaccine?? I mean we can't even come close to one for the cold, and the flu vaccine isn't even close to 100% effective... so how long are we going to shut things down for something we may never be able to "cure".. and who's to say there won't be long term side effects of the vaccines being rushed currently? or even the long term effectiveness?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
and again who's to say that we will be able to produce an actual vaccine?? I mean we can't even come close to one for the cold, and the flu vaccine isn't even close to 100% effective... so how long are we going to shut things down for something we may never be able to "cure".. and who's to say there won't be long term side effects of the vaccines being rushed currently? or even the long term effectiveness?

what is shut down right now?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

From what I understand (and may not) this particular coronavirus is what specifically causes Covid 19, so it's a little less complicated to stream line a vaccine than trying to pin something down for hundreds of viruses that cause a cold.

There's at least SOME effectiveness with a flu vaccine, which is better than nothing, and if many people have the vaccine, it helps keep it at bay.

I'd assume things will be this way until Covid becomes less contagious or wanes off in severity one way or another.

The way daily/weekly deaths are trending is going to make it awfully hard to trust the ability for things to run smoothly.

And if anyone makes some lame ass comparison to things that people die of every day, at least please make it something that's contagious from simply hanging out with people and is the same death numbers.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
what is shut down right now?

Everything is shuttered right now just like people that think sports and schools are going to be difficult to pull off think that we should all be hiding in a tornado shelter in a fetal position.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
From what I understand (and may not) this particular coronavirus is what specifically causes Covid 19, so it's a little less complicated to stream line a vaccine than trying to pin something down for hundreds of viruses that cause a cold.

There's at least SOME effectiveness with a flu vaccine, which is better than nothing, and if many people have the vaccine, it helps keep it at bay.

I'd assume things will be this way until Covid becomes less contagious or wanes off in severity one way or another.

The way daily/weekly deaths are trending is going to make it awfully hard to trust the ability for things to run smoothly.

And if anyone makes some lame ass comparison to things that people die of every day, at least please make it something that's contagious from simply hanging out with people and is the same death numbers.
again long term effects and effectiveness of the vaccine then comes into play, vaccines usually take a solid decade of study/trials but now they are trying to rush it through without knowing what else it may cause later on or how long it will last..

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
again long term effects and effectiveness of the vaccine then comes into play, vaccines usually take a solid decade of study/trials but now they are trying to rush it through without knowing what else it may cause later on or how long it will last..

Which vaccines have had long term adverse effects? Ever? Not theorized, actual happenings.

Everyone wants to make comparisons to the flu...where are the effects of the H1N1 vaccine? That took about 5 months to get rolled out.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-pandemic-timeline.html

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Which vaccines have had long term adverse effects? Ever? Not theorized, actual happenings.

Everyone wants to make comparisons to the flu...where are the effects of the H1N1 vaccine? That took about 5 months to get rolled out.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-pandemic-timeline.html
this explains it a little better.
https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/31/covid-19-vaccine-amazingly-close-why-am-i-so-worried/
(I know some random blog on the internet, but similar thoughts even before reading it)
also live stock already are vaccinated for similar viruses as well, but I don't put hope on it being gone anytime soon either..

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I guess where I'm at is if all other P5 conferences elect to play conference only, what can the Big 12 possibly stand to gain by keeping their non con games? Suddenly it becomes a situation where each non con game for the Big 12 is a lose/ lose scenario

If you win 4 games in SEC/P-12/B1G/ACC play, your season is over.

If you win 4 games in Big 12 play, you still have up to 3 more opportunities to get bowl-eligible. And yes, you still have to plan for now as if bowl games will be played.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
this explains it a little better.
https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/31/covid-19-vaccine-amazingly-close-why-am-i-so-worried/
(I know some random blog on the internet, but similar thoughts even before reading it)
also live stock already are vaccinated for similar viruses as well, but I don't put hope on it being gone anytime soon either..

The writer is worried the disease could spread....but people that want normalcy and no vaccine are ok with people spreading it?

Weird take.

It's odd how much people are mocking others for being concerned about what's actually happening, but then turn around and get all warped over a vaccine that will likely be...just a vaccine.

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
Several things come to mind about B12 FB and other sports. Professionals who chose to play or not play - right on! It is your decision. Kids in college and high school - no. We are the adults and I do not want any child to die or be permanently injured for my entertainment if delaying will prevent it. Suck it up and pray/hope for a vaccine. BTW- Clones win one and only game before shutdown we are National Champs. B12 is best conference - others have no clue how to defend the pass. Best QBs in the nation!

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

I like how these are trotted out as successes until people realize that it's largely because athletes were in a sudo-bubble prior to students coming back on campus. None of that really matters, what will matter is what those test rates show in 2-3 weeks from now when players have been in dorms, classes, restaurants, etc and games are getting ready to kick off soon. Can the student body at large be responsible enough to help make football a reality? I have my doubts, unfortunately.

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07