SEC conference only

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Live look-in at Arkansas and Vanderbilt fans upon hearing that news:

200w.gif

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Well the SEC can still get 2 teams in and the other 4 conferences can fight over the other 2.

Yeab that could become a real farce this year. Nothing like the big dogs keeping their money to themselves. I hope these conferences get sued up the wazoo for breaking contracts. But they likely can buy the better lawyers.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
SEC has been planning this for a bit - thus why the Big 12/SEC teaming up rumors were squashed very quickly. Big 12 will hold out a bit longer.

Anybody that thinks things are going to be better at the end of September (SEC’s new start date) than they are at the end of July are just not aware of science, the history of pandemics, or the stupidity of Americans at large.

It’s still possible to have football but it would take 1) a huge change in how America is treating this, 2) a miracle for things not to blow up when students funnel onto campuses, and 3) a much different approach to how free the players are up-to and in-season.

And let’s not pretend that IF there is football that there won’t be outbreaks and possibly even a couple players or coaches that die. Yes, players aren’t that vulnerable, but the law of statistics still says there will be a couple. The public should be prepared for that and decide if they’re comfortable with it, and with how many (not saying if they should or shouldn’t be ok with it).

I would not be completely surprised to see an attempt at a start of a season in the absolute best case (still think it’s doubtful), but I don’t see how it goes more than 2 weeks before being called.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macloney

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
If it's all conference only how will conference strength be judged?

At bare minimum SEC will be playing the same amount of conference games as everyone else for a change. It only took a global pandemic to accomplish this. It will show how the SEC isn't any better than any other conference because they cannot avoid beating up on each other.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
SEC has been planning this for a bit - thus why the Big 12/SEC teaming up rumors were squashed very quickly. Big 12 will hold out a bit longer.

Anybody that thinks things are going to be better at the end of September (SEC’s new start date) than they are at the end of July are just not aware of science, the history of pandemics, or the stupidity of Americans at large.

It’s still possible to have football but it would take 1) a huge change in how America is treating this, 2) a miracle for things not to blow up when students funnel onto campuses, and 3) a much different approach to how free the players are up-to and in-season.

And let’s not pretend that IF there is football that there won’t be outbreaks and possibly even a couple players or coaches that die. Yes, players aren’t that vulnerable, but the law of statistics still says there will be a couple. The public should be prepared for that and decide if they’re comfortable with it, and with how many (not saying if they should or shouldn’t be ok with it).

I would not be completely surprised to see an attempt at a start of a season in the absolute best case (still think it’s doubtful), but I don’t see how it goes more than 2 weeks before being called.

I think what has been short sided on the side of a lot of people is that they assume that if their school has a great protocol in place that everything will be fine. We get this a lot with Iowa State. Iowa State seems to have a good procedure in place. They seem to have a culture that means that the players are willing to stay away from others.

But all of that doesn't matter if the rest of college football doesn't do that. They need people to play.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The P5 plus Notre Dame and BYU are going to use this to completely shut off playing Group of 5 and FCS going forward.

They're getting to the full autonomy model and won't have to take any flack for it. It's a GREAT thing for the P5, I'm not sure it's a great thing for college football as a whole.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Couldn’t have said it better myself. This country is WAY too stupid to do what it will take.

And it’s going to be a s**t show when students go back to campus. It will likely be worse in a month than it is now IMO.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The P5 plus Notre Dame and BYU are going to use this to completely shut off playing Group of 5 and FCS going forward.

They're getting to the full autonomy model and won't have to take any flack for it. It's a GREAT thing for the P5, I'm not sure it's a great thing for college football as a whole.

Agreed. This is all about $$$ and very little about some semi-new virus. These AD's and conference big wigs and likely freaking out about losing money and trying to prevent any from going to the little guys anymore. I was all for the consolidation as it pretty much had to happen but seeing it go down like this is sad. They have NO more excuses to not pay players and make them employees now.

Reactions: diaclone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Agreed. This is all about $$$ and very little about some semi-new virus. These AD's and conference big wigs and likely freaking out about losing money and trying to prevent any from going to the little guys anymore. I was all for the consolidation as it pretty much had to happen but seeing it go down like this is sad. They have NO more excuses to not pay players and make them employees now.

You’re right, it’s all about the $$$.... because its definitely not about the players health or safety.

The scary thing is we don’t even know all the permanent damage that this virus can cause yet to the human body, but we’re willing to risk kids permanent health for $$$ and our selfish entertainment.

Will the schools be financially responsible if a player gets Covid and years from now their kidneys fail?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron