Sark on the hot seat already?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Texas has the worst culture in the Big 12, and their solution was to hire Steve Sarkisian. They could have hired a dozen other coaches that would have been better choices.

Should have never forced out Mack Brown. You know, the guy that actually won a National Championship and multiple Big 12 Titles.

Texas should be the easiest place to win in college football, but they can't figure it out and it's hilarious the watch.
They keep trying to go for a name coach instead of going for someone with substance who can instill a culture.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I wonder how the guy who bought Bijan Robinson a Lamborghini feels after watching him essentially fumble away a game to lowly Texas Tech in overtime like that last week. That's a great ROI!

You can buy talent, but hopefully you can't buy victory.

Reactions: isutrevman

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
They keep trying to go for a name coach instead of going for someone with substance who can instill a culture.
TX needs a stable no nonsense coach. Fickell, Wittingham, Campbell type of guy. Those TX kids have always had the spotlight in high school. They need to be brought back down to earth and grind. Breece was spot on about them.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
TX needs a stable no nonsense coach. Fickell, Wittingham, Campbell type of guy. Those TX kids have always had the spotlight in high school. They need to be brought back down to earth and grind. Breece was spot on about them.

and that is why Nick Saben is so good. The players know he may be a hard ass and a guy who is hard to talk to. However, they know if they play hard, listen to him, and do what they are told. They will be in the NFL. Sark and every single other coach Texas hires is a "players coach" that will tell them what they want to hear.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I’ve been trying to figure out why teams like Texas and Nebraska are no good despite having nearly every advantage imaginable. I think it comes down to booster and administration interference. I don’t think those coaches can really run the programs like they truly want to because many people are always chirping in their ear.

What advantages does Nebraska have? They are an outpost B1G team who's identify is a 90's Starter Jacket.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

The problem is that a coach like that isn't going to work at Texas. There are WAY too many external influences for those types. It's a vicious cycle...

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
and that is why Nick Saben is so good. The players know he may be a hard ass and a guy who is hard to talk to. However, they know if they play hard, listen to him, and do what they are told. They will be in the NFL. Sark and every single other coach Texas hires is a "players coach" that will tell them what they want to hear.

Saban and Bama work because it's his program. You aren't getting that at Texas.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
The problem is that a coach like that isn't going to work at Texas. There are WAY too many external influences for those types. It's a vicious cycle...
A coach like that would also need some time to establish their program that they won't get.

Reactions: 2speedy1

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Always instructive in threads like these ...

FdC5RjZagAI7C1f

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah seems like the Jerry Jones affect happening....

The other big reason in my opinion is simply complacency. It's no secret Texas could do literally no recruiting trips and put very little effort in and still get a higher ranked class than ISU. They can get pretty much the top of the top talent.....but with that comes a lot of the "I'm just here as a stepping stone to the NFL" type mentality. Kids who have been told they got it made already.

Take that vs. the Iowa States and Kansas States of the world where you get a lot of guys hungry and looking to make a name for themselves. Guys who've had to work their whole life to get a small slice of recognition or to be noticed.
I think that's really it. A lot of 4* and 5* guys are able to get by on sheer athleticism in high school and don't have to work as hard at it. That all changes in college, and a 3* overlooked grinder can surpass those 4 or 5* guys in a couple of years.

Some programs, like Alabama, seem to be pretty good at either passing on the guys that don't have the commitment/work ethic or don't develop it real quick.

On the other side, there's schools like Texas and Nebraska where highly rated recruiting classes never really transfer to results on the field. Recruiting busts will happen, but it seems like some schools are really good at hitting and others mysteriously end up with a surprising number of highly ranked recruits that fizzle out.

Reactions: 2speedy1

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think that's really it. A lot of 4* and 5* guys are able to get by on sheer athleticism in high school and don't have to work as hard at it. That all changes in college, and a 3* overlooked grinder can surpass those 4 or 5* guys in a couple of years.

Some programs, like Alabama, seem to be pretty good at either passing on the guys that don't have the commitment/work ethic or don't develop it real quick.

On the other side, there's schools like Texas and Nebraska where highly rated recruiting classes never really transfer to results on the field. Recruiting busts will happen, but it seems like some schools are really good at hitting and others mysteriously end up with a surprising number of highly ranked recruits that fizzle out.
Often if the coach gets to know the kid and sees how he interacts with high school teammates and his family there are signs on whether the kid is a good fit in a culture program. Look at that video of Spencer Rattler that was out there treating a teammate like ****. Why anyone would think that the kid would contribute to a positive culture rather than erode it is beyond me.

Reactions: CloneBuilder

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Sark was always a bizarre hire. He hadn't accomplished anything in over 10 years, other than being the benefactor of an Alabama offense with 5 first round picks. Just a horrible reach hire.

Last edited:

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Often if the coach gets to know the kid and sees how he interacts with high school teammates and his family there are signs on whether the kid is a good fit in a culture program. Look at that video of Spencer Rattler that was out there treating a teammate like ****. Why anyone would think that the kid would contribute to a positive culture rather than erode it is beyond me.

I think most coaches, especially at the major college level and up have such an ego they believe they could straighten out a "bad attitude" enough to take make use of the athletic abilities in recruits such as those.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think most coaches, especially at the major college level and up have such an ego they believe they could straighten out a "bad attitude" enough to take make use of the athletic abilities in recruits such as those.
Agreed. That is why programs like Texas will always struggle to build that culture. They have to take the big "can't miss" recruit with an attitude problem because there is too much pressure from the rabid, meddling donor and fan base to not do it.

Sometimes being the top dog in a recruiting hot bed like Texas can have its drawbacks. You are expected to have ALL of the local top recruits and if you let too many of the local 4 and 5 stars get away - even if they have baggage - you will be tagged as the coach who can't recruit.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BuffettClone