RV Village - Assignments

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Looking forward to the new RV Village. Mainly because of no more noisy generators and no diesel fumes (from my RV). Also, not as much 'tailgate creep' with the assigned spots and a more defined area. I did chuckle at some of the restrictions (no glass bottles, no liquor. and no standalone speakers). I did upgrade my amplification this year, but if you knew what I had before it was laughable, but it worked.

I understood the 'no DJ Booth' or PA setups. Not everyone wants to listen to your music as much as you do... (especially when you are drunk singing the first 30 seconds of each song at midnight, that was annoying)

There will be some adjustments from D4 to here, but I like it.

I got spot 429 and I am next to a college roommate, so that will be fun. Will be there 9/2. My dogs are itching to get back in the rig.
Where did you get the map of the RV Village?

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
After seeing the village… I have a feeling there are going to be mixed reviews.

1) Tailgate spaces are going to be a lot smaller than we are accustomed to.
2) If you have slides on your RV/Camper, it could get interesting for your neighbors.
3) A hell of a long walk for guest.
4) I’m sure there will be more to come.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

2) If you have slides on your RV/Camper, it could get interesting for your neighbors.
Have heard some people also bought passes for the Haunted Forest so they could park there and make the walk closer to the RV village. It does seem the village is on their own island out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: I@ST1

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017

Big deal. For a couple hours during a day of celebration. First world problem.

mfl3cy

Sep 9, 2021
Pleasant Hill

4) I’m sure there will be more t
1. Disagree. We now have bigger defined spaces. (I have a 36ft motorhome) I have been squeezed at times front to back for bigger games. Iowa game last year I was in at 10am on Friday and there were 3 spots left in D4 for a rig my size. Side to side is the same, now someone can't take your space because they feel you aren't using it. Plus the space in front of your rig will be quite large.
2.) Slides aren't that big. Most go out 2.5 feet max. Since there is a 10' wide pad for a 8-9' wide vehicle that leaves less than 2 feet overhang which is shorter than the doors that open up.
3.) This sucks, but there are trolleys and golf carts***. (We got an email about this) -- This is my only negative, since I had D4 (and could have been closer)
4.) I wish I was still in D4 with full hookup, but I will take this space with 50AMP servive if it means they can get the 'district' they are looking for.

Since most RV'ers are good people, they accommodate, and I think they will adjust. It also limits the corporate or big game people who think they own their lot instead of just their limited space.

*** As mentioned in my post there are trolleys and golf carts to the RV Village (still a haul, but it is an option)

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
1. Disagree. We now have bigger defined spaces. (I have a 36ft motorhome) I have been squeezed at times front to back for bigger games. Iowa game last year I was in at 10am on Friday and there were 3 spots left in D4 for a rig my size. Side to side is the same, now someone can't take your space because they feel you aren't using it. Plus the space in front of your rig will be quite large.
2.) Slides aren't that big. Most go out 2.5 feet max. Since there is a 10' wide pad for a 8-9' wide vehicle that leaves less than 2 feet overhang which is shorter than the doors that open up.
3.) This sucks, but there are trolleys and golf carts***. (We got an email about this) -- This is my only negative, since I had D4 (and could have been closer)
4.) I wish I was still in D4 with full hookup, but I will take this space with 50AMP servive if it means they can get the 'district' they are looking for.

Since most RV'ers are good people, they accommodate, and I think they will adjust. It also limits the corporate or big game people who think they own their lot instead of just their limited space.

*** As mentioned in my post there are trolleys and golf carts to the RV Village (still a haul, but it is an option)
Instead of a 1 beer walk to the game it now might be a 2 beer walk. Going to have to figure out halftime beers. Probably just make a new friend that parks next to the stadium.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020

I guess we’ll see.

But I can guarantee you there was more room in D4 on the sides than what is set as your defined space in the village. I have been in D4 for years… This is going to seem tight on the sides.

Also I personally don’t want to tailgate in front of my rig… our TV is mounted to the side.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk and mfl3cy

mfl3cy

Sep 9, 2021
Pleasant Hill
I guess we’ll see.

But I can guarantee you there was more room in D4 on the sides than what is set as your defined space in the village. I have been in D4 for years… This is going to seem tight on the sides.

Also I personally don’t want to tailgate in front of my rig… our TV is mounted to the side.
Side to side (based on the parking lines was 47 feet (split 2 ways), and we now have 24ft each. There will be more overlap, but there should be no difference, other than we don't have a 'shared' or overtaken middle space. I think the big congregations will be in the front as well as the main drive lanes once it gets closer to gametime.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Side to side (based on the parking lines was 47 feet (split 2 ways), and we now have 24ft each. There will be more overlap, but there should be no difference, other than we don't have a 'shared' or overtaken middle space. I think the big congregations will be in the front as well as the main drive lanes once it gets closer to gametime.

I’m still pumped! Just ready to get settled in!

st8cydr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Question for anyone traveling from the east/south: Is there anywhere close to Ames to fill up water? This is our first year bringing our 5th wheel. I hate to travel any further than I have to with my tanks full. It looks like I have some dump options along I80 east on the way home. Just trying to plan ahead.

Ingynow

RIP CHC
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 3, 2017
Omaha, NE
Question for anyone traveling from the east/south: Is there anywhere close to Ames to fill up water? This is our first year bringing our 5th wheel. I hate to travel any further than I have to with my tanks full. It looks like I have some dump options along I80 east on the way home. Just trying to plan ahead.
QUICK TRIP - 4801 NE 14th Street DES MOINES IA - TRUCK FUEL LANE # 8

FLEET FARM - 3875 SE DELAWARE AVE ANKENY IA - north end of parking lot - may need to talk to manager and buy something.

I-35 rest stops north of Ankeny have water spigots

Few that I know of....

Reactions: st8cydr

bojicy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 15, 2010
Okoboji, IA
Disappointed they will not allow a flat tow vehicle behind a Class C or Class A RV.
I have a 36' Class C RV with a flat tow a Jeep Wrangler (under 55'). Use this to visit children in Des Moines on Fridays and/or Ames dining on Friday nights.

Will be a long walk to the west side of stadium!

Reactions: mfl3cy