Router/Modem Combo for Mediacom

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Need to upgrade our router/modem combo to something that pushes out stronger/further signal strength. My current setup is plus 4 years old and doesn't have the torque to get to the different rooms of the house we're in now. It's like to stay at our below $200. TIA.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I picked up a refurbished Arris surf board on Amazon and I've been happy with it. I know you are shooting to keep it under $200 but you definitely want to avoid an all in one unit. If you can open your budget some I would go with a Google Mesh system. It has been an absolute game changer for our house, especially with my wife and I both working from home.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I'm not sure what you'll need for a modem so I'll let others comment on that. I have Centurylink.

Either way, I'd recommend a standalone wireless router. You'll have much more control of the setup and admin.

I'd go with this TP-Link:

If you can squeeze a little more out of the budget, I'd absolutely agree with Bill - go with a mesh system.
I've always heard the eero models were the best (also most spendy though). But people have said the Google mesh is good in other threads.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I should add, the house we're in now is temporary. The layout makes it difficult for the signal to reach the tvs. At our house, the tvs are very close to the point where the cable comes into the house.

So, how does it work to use our current "in-one" as only a modem and then add a router? That might make the most sense.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I should add, the house we're in now is temporary. The layout makes it difficult for the signal to reach the tvs. At our house, the tvs are very close to the point where the cable comes into the house.

So, how does it work to use our current "in-one" as only a modem and then add a router? That might make the most sense.

If you call Mediacom they should be able to change the settings so that it operates as only a modem. Either way, if it's a mediacom modem I would recommend getting your own equipment and saving the lease fee. Their equipment is absolute garbage.

Reactions: wxman1

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
If you call Mediacom they should be able to change the settings so that it operates as only a modem. Either way, if it's a mediacom modem I would recommend getting your own equipment and saving the lease fee. Their equipment is absolute garbage.
It's our own. I learned that lesson a long time ago. Would I still need to call them to have them change the settings or is that something I would do?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
It's our own. I learned that lesson a long time ago. Would I still need to call them to have them change the settings or is that something I would do?

You would only need to call if you change modems. They need to "activate" any new modem.

Reactions: Stewo

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
That's what I thought. This stuff is absolutely foreign to me.

I've never dealt with Mediacom before but I know a fair amount about routers/modems. If you're unfamiliar with how to do it, you may be able to take your new modem to a Mediacom office and have them provision it for you (punching in the numbers to make sure it's correct and flipping it to the new one). The router is on you to setup.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have a 3 puck google snow mesh. Placed them in a triangle pattern and its been miles better than what we had.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
My parents have been luck with their 20 mb internet on Google's mesh network than I do running 100mb internet on a single linkeys router in the middle of my ranch home. I'll be upgrading once I see a good sale

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
I have mediacom 200 mbps service. I elected to use a CM1000 netgear modem docsis 3.1 and nest wifi (google). I get 260 mbps via wifi, rarely have issues. You plug in your own modem and call mediacom and they will detect it and provision it over the phone, easy peasy.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I picked up a refurbished Arris surf board on Amazon and I've been happy with it. I know you are shooting to keep it under $200 but you definitely want to avoid an all in one unit. If you can open your budget some I would go with a Google Mesh system. It has been an absolute game changer for our house, especially with my wife and I both working from home.

How many would you recommend? I see some are two packs, some three packs, guessing there are others.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Depends on the size of your house and how much coverage you need/want.

We have 200 mb from mediacom. 1800 square foot house with set up in the basement. Stream TV. 3 kids with 1.5 of them in college. Oldest said he will just take online if he has his class schedule that is shaping up for next semester so he would be home and online. My daughter has online college classes in the morning and then goes to HS at lunchtime. I have a job that requires me to be online but not highspeed. Then throw in the two boys and their videogames, phones, and such.

Help Support Us

Become a patron