Router/Modem Combo for Mediacom

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
How many would you recommend? I see some are two packs, some three packs, guessing there are others.
Depends on the size of your house and how much coverage you need/want.

Yep, totally depends on your setup. I have a two story home with a finished basement so I have one on each level and it's perfect. I have great coverage in every corner of y house.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
We have 200 mb from mediacom. 1800 square foot house with set up in the basement. Stream TV. 3 kids with 1.5 of them in college. Oldest said he will just take online if he has his class schedule that is shaping up for next semester so he would be home and online. My daughter has online college classes in the morning and then goes to HS at lunchtime. I have a job that requires me to be online but not highspeed. Then throw in the two boys and their videogames, phones, and such.
I'd start with one up and one down. Add another if there's some corners not getting good coverage.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It sounds like your modem is working fine but your not getting a great wifi signal in the house.

Keep your modem and buy a Google/Nest Mesh System(2 pack) for $269

I just realized that the 2nd puck is also a speaker/assistant, which is awesome. I've had the first generation for years and love it.

Reactions: Stewo

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I bought a mesh system a while ago, and it didn’t play well with my work’s network. Had to return it and get the CenturyLink extenders. They work OK, but they feel cheap as ****.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
It sounds like your modem is working fine but your not getting a great wifi signal in the house.

Keep your modem and buy a Google/Nest Mesh System(2 pack) for $269

I just realized that the 2nd puck is also a speaker/assistant, which is awesome. I've had the first generation for years and love it.

This is good advice. If your modem is capable of hitting the speeds your plan allows for and you're not having performance issues with the data coming in, just update the router.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
This is good advice. If your modem is capable of hitting the speeds your plan allows for and you're not having performance issues with the data coming in, just update the router.
I'll need to verify that it is capable. I assume it is but don't 100% know that.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Go with the netgear nighthawk. You won't be disappointed.
I have a smaller house that I'm renovating and this is what I'm going with when it's done.
I have the Nighthawk and it did not like the CL dual band dsl so had to switch to an Asus. Just installed the Nest Mesh (router and 2 pucks) in a 2 story and very happy with coverage and speed.

Reactions: cyfan21

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
You'll end up just running cat5 from your modem to this router and then put the puck in a different location. Google WiFi app will show you where to put it for best coverage.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I'll need to verify that it is capable. I assume it is but don't 100% know that.

What tier of service do you have now, as in what are your download/upload speeds? If it is under 300mb down, the cable modem is probably fine. If more than 300, it's probably time for an upgrade.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Amazon announced their newest Eero Mesh yesterday. This has Wifi 6 included.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085VNCZHL/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_kIGBFbXJGQAVH
If you're willing to spend ~$350, I'd recommend getting mesh with Wifi 6. This should future proof you quite a while, even if you can't take full advantage of the higher speeds right away.

I've been waiting for mesh with 6 to come down in price. I might still wait for Google's newest version to compare, but then I'll probably pull the trigger on upgrading.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron