Rob Standard - Kansas game

cyclonefan15

Apr 18, 2006
Ankeny
Anyone else notice that he didnt have his regular #10 jersey on. He was wearing #17 without his name on the back. Did they forget his jersey or what was the reason for this?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Like the fact that an athlete like Rob Standard is playing Special Teams. A lot of people do not realize how big the Special Teams contributions are. Back in the late '70's a player named Pat Kennedy was an animal on Special Teams who became a fan favorite because of his special teams play. And I remember Ryan Baum as well in later years. Special Teams are a great way for younger players to contribute until their time comes to play on either the offensive or defensive units. And just being on Special Teams contributes in a big way if you can rest your offensive and defensive starters and not have to play them on the Special Teams.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
There was a white dude on special teams a few years ago that was absolutely crazy. He would go airborn about every time down the field. Crowd loved him. Can't remember his name.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Johnny Majors was the first I'm aware of to exploit special teams because our offensive and defensive untis were not competitive. He went beyond setting up trick return plays and onside kicks by spending more practice time and using some of his star starters (of which we had a precious few). Because his first string offense found it very difficult to compete with other teams' defenses, he added extra emphasis on getting scores from the defense and special teams.

Last edited:

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
There was a white dude on special teams a few years ago that was absolutely crazy. He would go airborn about every time down the field. Crowd loved him. Can't remember his name.

That fits the description of Tom Perticone but he played in the ealy 80's. Hit Ronny Lott from OU so hard Lott's heemet rolled about 20 yards. He knew how to get the crowd jacked up.

InMyOpinion

Aug 9, 2012
Last year Jansen Watson seemed to be in on a ton of special team plays... turns out to be a solid cornerback too!!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I was wondering why Aaron Rodgers was playing QB for us in this last game against KU? I thought he was on the Green Bay Packers? But I swear it was him?