Rob Gray's Excellent Article

Discussion in 'Football' started by JRE1975, Nov 14, 2019.

1. JRE1975

JRE1975 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Male
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Ratings:
    +762 / 22 / -0
    I just saw the article Rob posted today. I didn't see any post on it yet, so I wanted to highlight to everyone the last two paragraphs of the article.

That’s the hope. The grindstone replaces shiny objects and an ability to remain still in the moment banishes painful losses to the recesses of memory. The future remains bright — and Campbell fully “gets” how being so close to being an results-validated elite team frustrates fans eager to celebrate a long-awaited, nationally-noticed breakthrough.

“I get it,” Campbell said. “I do. I completely understand it, but I also understand this: They’ve seen a a lot of bad football for a long time and I think they’re smart enough to know what good football looks like and what good culture looks like and what really good kids look like. And to me, that’s the thing that’s maybe a joy for me to walk into these walls is knowing what these kids put in to being the best they can be — and when you’re inches and fractions away, you can stomach it, because you know it’s our job to just keep pounding away to get it done.”

As we finish this year, posters should take the big picture view the just how better things are from just a few years ago, and how anyone paying attention has legitimate hope that the best is yet to come with the players and coaches we have in the program.

• Winner Winner x 23
    • Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 5
  2. CycloneWanderer

CycloneWanderer Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Male
    Leadership Development
    Wandering
    Ratings:
    +1,316 / 37 / -0
    Agreed. Losing close games isn't as fun as winning but it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable of a season not seeing us get blown out 4-5 times a year.

• Agree Agree x 9
  3. KLP630

KLP630 Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Ratings:
    +42 / 3 / -0
    I LOVE reading articles by Rob, they are always well done!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. CoachHines3

CoachHines3 Active Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Male
    Ratings:
    +936 / 75 / -0
    3-9 used to be successful around here.

we’re lucky we have an AD in JP and a coach in matty c.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. GoClone

GoClone Active Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0
    Most do get it. As my son and I discussed after the last game... who would have guessed four years ago that Iowa State football would be playing with Oklahoma year-in and year-out instead of being played with by Oklahoma annually?

Just reflect on that in moments of (minor) disappointment.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. CycloneVet

CycloneVet Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Male
    Veterinariian
    Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +4,183 / 208 / -0
    How many of us would have wanted 1 down in the waning seconds 2 yards away from another win at OU? We would have all taken it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. TedKumsher

TedKumsher Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Male
    Network Consultant
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +425 / 8 / -0
    The grindstone replaces shiny objects and an ability to remain still in the moment banishes painful losses to the recesses of memory. The future remains bright — and Campbell fully “gets” how being so close to being an results-validated elite team frustrates fans eager to celebrate a long-awaited, nationally-noticed breakthrough.​

Is that Robert Jordan?

The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legends fade to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the third age by some, an Age yet to come, an age long pass, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist.​

• Like Like x 2
  8. amishclone

amishclone Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Male
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +1,389 / 288 / -177
    PaulRhoadsYearThree.gif.

Change my mind.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. CyclonePigskin

Dec 28, 2010
    South Central Iowa
    Ratings:
    +50 / 2 / -0
    Robert Jordan literally repeated pages of text, not only from his earlier Wheel of Time books, but, as the end of the interminable series gradually approached infinity, even from earlier sections of the same book. I finally decided that he had outlived his proofreaders and editors.

10. Cyrocks

Cyrocks Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,418 / 51 / -0
    Not that he would go over to the dark side, but would love to see Rob as the lead ISU writer for the DM Register.

Not only is Rob good at what he does, he is highly respected among his peers.

11. Jerms

Jerms Active Member

May 13, 2011
    Atlantic, IA
    Ratings:
    +255 / 4 / -0
    Walking into walls brings him joy? o_O

12. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Ratings:
    +3,418 / 224 / -7
    #12 Aclone, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Next thing you know, The Athletic will be sniffing around.

13. MTCyclone43

MTCyclone43 Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Ratings:
    +151 / 10 / -0
    Coach Matt Campbell needs another raise and an extension. This guy has the Clones so close to being an elite member of the Big 12.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PylesBBQ

PylesBBQ Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Madrid, IA
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    So Rob will be getting into politics? Too bad for the sports writing community. :D

15. madguy30

madguy30 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Ratings:
    +15,985 / 481 / -12
    I (unknowingly at the time) stayed in the same hotel that the players stay in for the TCU weekend.

I remember seeing one of the lineman getting some ice and jumping to touch the ceiling in the hallway....just like a kid would do. That and the way the players interacted while walking out on Saturday morning was a good reminder that these are just college kids doing what they can.

The coaches are just people trying to do a job as well...although decisions imo are fair game for some criticism.

But if/when CMC goes elsewhere, you can't rightfully question whether or not he established some genuine time here.

16. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Publications Manager
    Macomb, MI
    Ratings:
    +11,435 / 275 / -4
    I know at the end of the day it's all coachspeak, but it's words like what Campbell said here that makes me not worried about him leaving anytime soon - especially for an essentially lateral move to Michigan St or a downgrade to Arkansas, or even an upgrade to a place like Michigan or an NFL job. I'm just not worried about him leaving anytime soon.

17. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Ratings:
    +3,418 / 224 / -7
    I am always grateful for the autocorrect on my phone deciding what I actually wanted to say.

• Like Like x 1