RIP Prince

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
youtube and vevo are much more popular than MTV ever was, plus the exposure is worldwide.... In some cases this is a way for artists to present their art in a different way, some love this exposure still....

YouTube and Vevo also PAY the artists. Actually a bigger money maker than album/digital sales at this point.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
youtube and vevo are much more popular than MTV ever was, plus the exposure is worldwide.... In some cases this is a way for artists to present their art in a different way, some love this exposure still....

"MTV" like it was in the 80s and most of the 90s will never be back, because like you said it's already there on the web...but at the same time it's highly likely that an actual MTV as a new network would get better cable TV ratings than a 47th channel devoted to 24/7 low budget reality tv shows. When MTV/VH1 first went to exclusively reality TV programming there were only one or two other cable channels doing it, MTV basically started the whole trend themselves. Now there are dozens of reality channels, I guess the difference is MTV is a reality channel specifically going for young people. I still find it hard to believe with hundreds of garbage channels that there's no place for a music video channel, I mean some of these cable networks have to have tiny viewerships yet they exist.

When I travel abroad it seems most other countries have a music video channel. When we were in Greece and Spain somewhat recently we put on some their music video channels pretty much any time we were in our hotel rooms and the same channel would be playing at most bars and coffee shops we went into. It's not like they don't all have youtube as well.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Thats really an apples to oranges comparison. One deals with a felony crime, the other deals with a reporters privilege, which the courts have found to be protected under the first amendment.

That's not entirely true, if the information was obtained directly from the hospital or one of it's employees, under HIPAA, they are not allowed to disclose that information as it was illegally obtained.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
That "hands to myself" song by salena gomez is about the most vapid and talentless song I've ever heard, it was #1 last week.
That horrible "Work" song by Rihanna has been #1 for 8 weeks now on the Hot 100, but you're not incorrect about the Gomez song otherwise.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Don't just thinkg young people today have bad tastes.

Itty Bitty Teeny Weeny Yellow Polk-a-dot Bikini was a #1 song...

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Don't just thinkg young people today have bad tastes.

Itty Bitty Teeny Weeny Yellow Polk-a-dot Bikini was a #1 song...
I refuse to listen to this logical argument because I am too old. I went to high school in the 80's and should know all about bad music. I just don't want to acknowledge the truth within your point.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Said every prior generation ever.

Music is like wine. Explore, find stuff you like, and enjoy.

Present or past music has a lot in there that's amazing. Slamming new music or trying to put songs into top "whatever" lists makes no sense.

But neither does the concept of a Rock n Roll HOF.....goddam Babyboomers

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I refuse to listen to this logical argument because I am too old. I went to high school in the 80's and should know all about bad music. I just don't want to acknowledge the truth within your point.

99 Luftballoons stops by to say "Hi".

Last edited:

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
99 Luftballoons stops buy to say "Hi".
5wVEtck.gif

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
So was this song:

[video=youtube;ZyhrYis509A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A[/video]
I was listening to the 90's station on XM the other day and this song came on right after "Smells Like Teen Spirit". That's almost a literal roller-coaster ride.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Stop polluting the Prince thread. Please! :mad:
You're right. I better stop. I've been sitting at my desk streaming Prince songs all day. I'm feeling pretty down about this and I guess I'm using humor (as bad as my humor is) as a defense mechanism.Did anybody see next week's cover of the New Yorker? this is pretty awesome.
CoverStory-Staake-PurpleRain-690x942-1461274099.jpg