Rick & Morty

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
If you download an Adblocker for your internet browser you shouldn't have any problem finding all the episodes on some random streaming site. It's well worth it IMO.

I was late to the show, but since there is such a big gap between seasons, I was able to watch all the episodes multiple times and still participate in the waiting game for season 3. It hasn't disappointed me in the slightest.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
New episode tonight! Damn, this one had a lot of layers. Going to have to watch it again. A lot of stuff I'm sure I missed. Tickets please and *** gutters.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It occurs to me that this show would be almost impossible to follow if you'd never seen it before. Like if you'd heard about it from friends, but never actually saw an episode until now, when you decided to find out what all of the fuss was about, and watched the new episode. The same thing is true for many shows, I'm sure, but Rick and Morty without the background and stage setting of previous seasons would be almost incomprehensible.

kmcbrid

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
www.municipalgame.com
It occurs to me that this show would be almost impossible to follow if you'd never seen it before. Like if you'd heard about it from friends, but never actually saw an episode until now, when you decided to find out what all of the fuss was about, and watched the new episode. The same thing is true for many shows, I'm sure, but Rick and Morty without the background and stage setting of previous seasons would be almost incomprehensible.

Very true. To really experiance Rick and Morty, you have to start from the begining to get all the references and understand what is going on.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Very true. To really experiance Rick and Morty, you have to start from the begining to get all the references and understand what is going on.
Even then it's tough. Take the most recent episode. It almost entirely disappeared up its own ass, with all of the meta commentary. The writers were making fun of themselves as well as the fanboys with whom they have such a love/hate relationship. The entire idea of the story train going in a circle is ripped right from Dan Harmon's own writing style which he has talked about on many occasions. The "story circle":
345a766ec622e4abea3c58f8be31bd4b.jpg
The perfect example of what I'm talking about is when they leave the train. They are physically leaving the train, but they're also leaving the story circle. That's why Rick puts the artificial time limit on Morty's oxygen supply. He even talks about how they will have to "pay a price". They have to do this to rejoin the rules of the story circle, to literally get back on the train. It's ridiculously high concept for an animated show that also spends a lot of time on fart jokes.

Not to mention all of the scenes with evil Morty, Snowball, the Meeseeks, etc, basically everything they've been showing in the trailers for this season. Morty asks if it's canon, and Rick replies "It could have been!" It's very close to a middle finger to the rabid fans who overanalyze everything about the show... sort of like I'm doing right now...

Anyway, it's a fine line to walk because they run the risk of becoming too clever for their own good. And I'm sure for many people they've already crossed that line. I'm still really enjoying it though.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
New episode tonight! Damn, this one had a lot of layers. Going to have to watch it again. A lot of stuff I'm sure I missed. Tickets please and *** gutters.
I've seen every episode of Rick and Morty, and couldn't follow this one at all. I still have no idea what happened in that episode. Will have to watch again.

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
As an English major and teacher, I love Harmon's story circle. It makes it so much easier to explain story to students and then lead into, if necessary. The Hero's Journey. Combine it with a Story Spine, and we have academic analysis gold. ...oh, my geek is showing...

Even then it's tough. Take the most recent episode. It almost entirely disappeared up its own ass, with all of the meta commentary. The writers were making fun of themselves as well as the fanboys with whom they have such a love/hate relationship. The entire idea of the story train going in a circle is ripped right from Dan Harmon's own writing style which he has talked about on many occasions. The "story circle":
View attachment 71732
The perfect example of what I'm talking about is when they leave the train. They are physically leaving the train, but they're also leaving the story circle. That's why Rick puts the artificial time limit on Morty's oxygen supply. He even talks about how they will have to "pay a price". They have to do this to rejoin the rules of the story circle, to literally get back on the train. It's ridiculously high concept for an animated show that also spends a lot of time on fart jokes.

Not to mention all of the scenes with evil Morty, Snowball, the Meeseeks, etc, basically everything they've been showing in the trailers for this season. Morty asks if it's canon, and Rick replies "It could have been!" It's very close to a middle finger to the rabid fans who overanalyze everything about the show... sort of like I'm doing right now...

Anyway, it's a fine line to walk because they run the risk of becoming too clever for their own good. And I'm sure for many people they've already crossed that line. I'm still really enjoying it though.

Reactions: Mr Janny

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Speaking of best episode of the series, the most recent one has to be right up there; The Ricklantis Mixup. What an incredible episode. I loved the Stand By Me Mortys and the newscasters all being more disfigured versions of Rick from the same dimension. It's hard to overstate how good this show is.

Ricklantis Mixup is one of my favorite episodes of any tv series ever. Just so good.

Reactions: Mr Janny

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Yeah this new episode was something else. I don't even know how to describe it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron