Returning players next year

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We will have no one left the entire team is moving to USC to establish 5 star culture in California :rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::jimlad:

Reactions: erinmd32

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
yikes we are gutted everywhere, there should be zero expectations next year
Why? We are going to be young yes - we are going to be replacing some amazing Cyclones, many of which have set various records yes.

But I disagree with the idea that there can't be expectations. The staff from reports loves the young players.... some of them have shown flashes in brief opportunities on the field.

In the secondary - McDonald, Tampa,. Purchase, Freyler all looked capable and I'm sure there are others and I think King is back and possibly Young.

Linebacker - Aric Horne and Vaughn got playing time due to injury and while I think we'll miss our three headed monster without a doubt, its not like there's nothing there.

Defensive line wise - sure, this a big question but I like the size and potential of the youngsters. And with Lee / Singleton having had valuable game experience, the nose guard position at least seems to be fairly set especially with some other youngsters probably challenging for playing time. End is obviously less certain but we did see Blake Peterson start to play more slightly more as the season went on so potentially there's a tiny bit of experience there.

Offensive line - I don't think its as bad as many think - outside of the OU game I don't think they were ever really horrid even if there were times they could have been better. If Remsburg can stay healthy, I think he's an upgrade at RT. Hufford... I'd like to see one of the young tackles beat him out but otherwise.... its a decent group. Elite? Perhaps not but should be solid,

Receiver - obviously losing Hutchinson hurts but Noel should provide consistency in the slot and personally I think guys like BItter and Potter and maybe a new face or two can shine now. Daniel Jackson wasn't catching a ton of passes but was playing more and more at the end of the season it seemed.

Tight End - this one hurts obviously but again, when Easton Dean played two years ago / last year he showed his skill as a receiver. I think for him it might be how effective he is as a blocker perhaps but Rus should be back. There's also Hanika, Anderson although he's a receiver is another big bodied guy.

Running back- presuming the obvious that Breece leaves, yes, that stings, losing arguably the best player in the country at his position. But Jirehl has been a reliable 3rd down back for basically a year and a half now and flashed some ability on his big run. Silas and Sanders have also shown promise plus the new kids. Are there growing pains? Sure. But I don't think its an empty cupboard.

Quarterback - similar to running back. Dekkers would seem the choice at this moment but obviously spring and fall ball will go a long ways. Replacing a productive and 4 year starter is never easy although he has had game experience sprinkled in over the last two years including brief time against good teams (Iowa, Oklahoma) so it wasn't just mop up time against Kansas. The question I honestly have maybe more is being a tad worried that we won't have anyone with any experience at the moment behind him if he is indeed the starter.

Kicker - Mevis needs to find another year somehow ... Dunn can be done lol.

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Here's my take on it. We'll be a very young team, but not without talent and at least some experience at EVERY position. Every single kid listed (minus the true freshmen) will have had at least some actual playing time - most have some significant time. The 2nd stringers will be talented but without much if any experience.

Defense:
DL:
Blake Peterson
Isaiah Lee / Singleton
Corey Suttle / Tyler Onydiem

LB:
Dae'Shawn Davis
Gerry Vaughn
Aric Horne

Safety:
Beau Freyler
Craig McDonald
Jordyn Morgan

CB:
TJ Tampa
Myles Purchase

Offense:
Backfield:
Hunter Dekers
Jirhel Brock
Jared Rus

OLine:
Tyler Miller
Trevor Downing
Joey Ramos
Darrell Simmons Jr.
Jarrod Hufford
Backups:Grant Treiber/Jake Remsburg

WR:
Joe Scates - transfer out
Shawn Shaw
Jaylen Noel
Porter/Jackson/Gaines/Essix

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I do t think people realize how much talent we have waiting in the wings. Defense might take a step back but we have a lot of guys who can really ball on both sides. Running backs are studs. Dekkers can deal it.

Losing Breece is for sure a hit, but not nearly as big as it could or should be. The guys waiting are no jokes. We have Jirehl Brock for 2 more years, and people on here were trying to find ways of utilizing him more throughout the season. if Hall wasn't such an insane beast, I think we would have seen a lot more of him this year.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
Here's my take on it. We'll be a very young team, but not without talent and at least some experience at EVERY position. Every single kid listed (minus the true freshmen) will have had at least some actual playing time - most have some significant time. The 2nd stringers will be talented but without much if any experience.

Defense:
DL:
Blake Peterson
Isaiah Lee / Singleton

LB:
Dae'Shawn Davis
Gerry Vaughn
Aric Horne

Safety:
Beau Freyler
Craig McDonald
Jordyn Morgan

CB:
TJ Tampa
Myles Purchase

Offense:
Backfield:
Hunter Dekers
Jirhel Brock
Jared Rus

OLine:
Tyler Miller
Trevor Downing
Joey Ramos
Darrell Simmons Jr.
Jarrod Hufford

WR:
Shawn Shaw
Jaylen Noel

You appear to have forgotten Howard Brown on the d-line.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021

Defense:
DL:
Blake Peterson
Isaiah Lee / Singleton

LB:
Dae'Shawn Davis
Gerry Vaughn
Aric Horne

Safety:
Beau Freyler
Craig McDonald
Jordyn Morgan

CB:
TJ Tampa
Myles Purchase

Offense:
Backfield:
Hunter Dekers
Jirhel Brock
Jared Rus

OLine:
Tyler Miller
Trevor Downing
Joey Ramos
Darrell Simmons Jr.
Jarrod Hufford

WR:
Shawn Shaw
Jaylen Noel

50% chance I. Young returns.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Defense:
DL:
Blake Peterson
Isaiah Lee / Singleton

LB:
Dae'Shawn Davis
Gerry Vaughn
Aric Horne

Safety:
Beau Freyler
Craig McDonald
Jordyn Morgan

CB:
TJ Tampa
Myles Purchase

Offense:
Backfield:
Hunter Dekers
Jirhel Brock
Jared Rus

OLine:
Tyler Miller
Trevor Downing
Joey Ramos
Darrell Simmons Jr.
Jarrod Hufford

WR:
Shawn Shaw
Jaylen Noel

That’s a really small LB corps, but fast.

How about EZ Anderson at WR?

Btw…. Jaylin Noel is going to be special…. stud.

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I think Isheem Young goes pro (he's 23 and has a kid). And I think Howard brown will be 3rd string behind Singleton and Lee. I'd love to be wrong on both accounts though.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
I think Isheem Young goes pro (he's 23 and has a kid). And I think Howard brown will be 3rd string behind Singleton and Lee. I'd love to be wrong on both accounts though.
I agree with you.

Initial pro scouting reports are coverage performance is less than ideal. 5-7 round projection.

Final grades aren’t complete and will have opportunity to improve with testing.

All of this is with the consideration of the draft is extremely difficult to project, so who knows.

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
That’s a really small LB corps, but fast.

How about EZ Anderson at WR?

Btw…. Jaylin Noel is going to be special…. stud.

We have a ton of young talent at LB. All 3 freshman are going to be good. And there's other talent buried as well. I'm expecting we'll see at least 8 different guys play LB at some point next year

Reactions: clonedude

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Defense:
DL:
Blake Peterson
Isaiah Lee / Singleton

LB:
Dae'Shawn Davis
Gerry Vaughn
Aric Horne

Safety:
Beau Freyler
Craig McDonald
Jordyn Morgan

CB:
TJ Tampa
Myles Purchase

Offense:
Backfield:
Hunter Dekers
Jirhel Brock
Jared Rus

OLine:
Tyler Miller
Trevor Downing
Joey Ramos
Darrell Simmons Jr.
Jarrod Hufford

WR:
Shawn Shaw
Jaylen Noel

Kid from Canada?

A big body will get a shot somewhere.

PsychedCy09

Jul 8, 2018
QB- I’m excited for style of QB Dekkers is and how he can open up the offense more with his stronger arm and running ability. Growing pains will happen but fully expect him to have a good season.

RB- Nobody will replace Hall but Brock, Silas and Sanders all have serious talent. Hopefully the coaches find a way to use them well in combination

TE- Like Hall there is no replacing Kolar and Allen’s production. It’s hard to know what to expect cuz we didn’t see any other TE’s this season but coaches have spoken highly of Dean for a couple years now.

WR- My biggest concern next year (OC position and offensive scheming is on par for concerns) Really hope we go after a transfer. Players just haven’t developed. I have high hopes for Gaines and Townsend possibly contributing, both look to have huge potential.

OL- This one his a big head scratcher with the regression from 2020. I think a lot may fall on coaching but hope things can get back on track next season.

DL- interior is in good shape with Lee/Singleton and Howard/Onyedim. Lack of a pass rush is the biggest concern. Blake Petersen has looked promising late in the season but really need 1 more guy to step up.

LB- Gerry Vaughn looks like he should be a stud next season. We will experience a drop off at the position next year but by no means expect this to be a weak point of the team. Our guys have gotten a lot of snaps and young guys like Cole Pedersen, Imming and McLaughlin look promising.

DB- safeties will be the strongest unit of the team. McDonald/Freyler look like stars in the making and I’m expecting Young will return next year. CB’s have a lot of potential but still need to gain experience and find a 3rd guy to rotate in with Tampa and Purchase

I still think this team can surprise us next season winning 7-8 games and be a lot of fun to watch

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Why? We are going to be young yes - we are going to be replacing some amazing Cyclones, many of which have set various records yes.

But I disagree with the idea that there can't be expectations. The staff from reports loves the young players.... some of them have shown flashes in brief opportunities on the field.

In the secondary - McDonald, Tampa,. Purchase, Freyler all looked capable and I'm sure there are others and I think King is back and possibly Young.

Linebacker - Aric Horne and Vaughn got playing time due to injury and while I think we'll miss our three headed monster without a doubt, its not like there's nothing there.

Defensive line wise - sure, this a big question but I like the size and potential of the youngsters. And with Lee / Singleton having had valuable game experience, the nose guard position at least seems to be fairly set especially with some other youngsters probably challenging for playing time. End is obviously less certain but we did see Blake Peterson start to play more slightly more as the season went on so potentially there's a tiny bit of experience there.

Offensive line - I don't think its as bad as many think - outside of the OU game I don't think they were ever really horrid even if there were times they could have been better. If Remsburg can stay healthy, I think he's an upgrade at RT. Hufford... I'd like to see one of the young tackles beat him out but otherwise.... its a decent group. Elite? Perhaps not but should be solid,

Receiver - obviously losing Hutchinson hurts but Noel should provide consistency in the slot and personally I think guys like BItter and Potter and maybe a new face or two can shine now. Daniel Jackson wasn't catching a ton of passes but was playing more and more at the end of the season it seemed.

Tight End - this one hurts obviously but again, when Easton Dean played two years ago / last year he showed his skill as a receiver. I think for him it might be how effective he is as a blocker perhaps but Rus should be back. There's also Hanika, Anderson although he's a receiver is another big bodied guy.

Running back- presuming the obvious that Breece leaves, yes, that stings, losing arguably the best player in the country at his position. But Jirehl has been a reliable 3rd down back for basically a year and a half now and flashed some ability on his big run. Silas and Sanders have also shown promise plus the new kids. Are there growing pains? Sure. But I don't think its an empty cupboard.

Quarterback - similar to running back. Dekkers would seem the choice at this moment but obviously spring and fall ball will go a long ways. Replacing a productive and 4 year starter is never easy although he has had game experience sprinkled in over the last two years including brief time against good teams (Iowa, Oklahoma) so it wasn't just mop up time against Kansas. The question I honestly have maybe more is being a tad worried that we won't have anyone with any experience at the moment behind him if he is indeed the starter.

Kicker - Mevis needs to find another year somehow ... Dunn can be done lol.
This is a great analysis. Yes all these recruiting classes that have gotten better (each year they've gotten better), will pay dividends and its' not as if this recruits just disappeared. We've had a very high retention rate.

You point out the D Backs: if someone had told me this summer Craig McDonald and Beau Freyler would play a lot I would have assumed big injuries. Turns out there were minimal injuries and these two kids were just too damn good to keep off the field. They're going to be awesome for this program moving forward. King is back for 1 more year, and Isheem probably goes pro, and I really like Purchase and Tampa at corner. Tampa needs to find another level in my opinion. Show us why Georgia offered.

O line: tough one because the O Line this year against Oklahoma State, TCU, Kstate looked excellent. Against Iowa, Tech and Baylor, not so much. I do know Darrell Simmons and Downing can play great football at guard, and Hufford and Remsberg are nice pieces at tackle. Who can take the center spot? Can he be more physical than Newell?

D line: interior d line is set with Lee and Singleton as you mention. I view Blake Peterson as almost a lock at one DE, who will take the other DE spot? Jayden Gray from TX? Johnny Wilson from KC? Our recruiting here has been solid, time to see what we've accomplished soon.

WR: need to go after one in the portal. Hutchinson is a big loss. I do like a returning Jaylin Noel (we need to throw to him downfield more), Daniel Jackson. I'm writing Joe Scates off as if he has left the program. Appears to be an A+ in the jackass department. I did not know Darren Wilson was a jr. he's pretty good. Greg Gaines is a day 1 starter if he arrives in ames this winter or summer.

LB: starters will be Gerry Vaughn at the middle, Aric Horne at the will, SAM LB is a question mark. Maybe Daeshawn Davis?

Reactions: NATEizKING

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Lol. Speculation is great. At one point we thought we were never going to find another Lazard, Montgomery, etc. Let’s encourage and trust the process.
We should remember that this great Senior class was recruited when Campbell was just another MAC coach moving to the Power 5. Either this staff got really lucky or they know how to identify and develop talent. I doubt we sink straight back to a Rhoads level roster.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
We lose a lot of starters, but we rotated a lot of players this year. Most guys that we'll be counting on have played significant minutes already.
Not to mention that the schedule is the favorable 5 game home Big 12 schedule where we get KState, WV, TT, Baylor, and Oklahoma at home. Roll with the 2 cupcake-ish non-cons (SE MO St and Ohio), and you get to 6-7 wins. Grab a Kansas win and maybe one other...who knows.

Reactions: VeloClone