REPORT: Bryce Dejean-Jones has died

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
So Hallice is implying BDJ was robbed that night? I'm confused where he gets that logic, he tweeted something about find his wallet, amongst other tweets calling it Fake News. I'm sure it's been emotionally tough on him, but to say he didn't break into that apartment is a bit much.

My question is, what did he mean by when asked to watch over him by Matt A., that he's seen him on his worst nights? What would that have to do with indicating it was 'fake news'?

Reactions: isutrevman

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I haven't heard anybody make reference to this little piece of information that certainly seems relevant.

"Dejean-Jones’ blood-alcohol level was 0.188 . . . and he also tested positive for marijuana."

This night was not likely to end well, even if he went to the correct apartment.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Not specifically but I have been woken up at 3 in the morning by neighbors shooting off approximately $100 worth of fireworks at once. The first thing I did was reach for my phone to call 911 even though we didn't after realizing what was exploding.

My three year old crawled into our bed last night, which is about as good of analogy as this is.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
So Hallice is implying BDJ was robbed that night? I'm confused where he gets that logic, he tweeted something about find his wallet, amongst other tweets calling it Fake News. I'm sure it's been emotionally tough on him, but to say he didn't break into that apartment is a bit much.

In the article, it says his wallet was found empty so Bryce's biological father says that maybe Bryce was robbed in the hour between him leaving his girlfriend while at the babysitters to when he arrived at the (wrong) apartment.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
He was clearly in the wrong but I think the guy was too. I just can't say he was right when he shot through a closed door.

No, the other guy really wasn't. Law in Texas states that you are well within your legal rights to use deadly force against another person who has unlawfully entered your property, and compound that with the fact that not only did BDJ enter, he kicked one door down and was in the process of kicking another down. If somebody is trying to break into my room and I have a loaded gun and a legal right to defend myself, I'm not waiting for a response or the door to open before taking action.

Also, I love how the author emphasizes that he kicked down the wrong doors. Like it's not irreparably awful that he was kicking down doors to begin with. Guess had he have been at the right apartment BDJ's actions would have been okay.

HogueNation

Nov 15, 2016
In the article, it says his wallet was found empty so Bryce's biological father says that maybe Bryce was robbed in the hour between him leaving his girlfriend while at the babysitters to when he arrived at the (wrong) apartment.

I realize that. Cooke tweeted something about them not finding his wallet in defense to his arguement that the article written was fake news. Then deleted it shortly after.

When he says fake news he's obviously implying Bryce was robbed that night and that this article is bs. I think the facts speak for themselves....it's a shame Cooke is too ignorant to believe them.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
No, the other guy really wasn't. Law in Texas states that you are well within your legal rights to use deadly force against another person who has unlawfully entered your property, and compound that with the fact that not only did BDJ enter, he kicked one door down and was in the process of kicking another down. If somebody is trying to break into my room and I have a loaded gun and a legal right to defend myself, I'm not waiting for a response or the door to open before taking action.

Also, I love how the author emphasizes that he kicked down the wrong doors. Like it's not irreparably awful that he was kicking down doors to begin with. Guess had he have been at the right apartment BDJ's actions would have been okay.

That's the part I struggle with too. It seems to minimize his culpability and turn it into a "wrong place wrong time" kind of thing.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Amen. Sounds like it's a good thing for his child's mother that he did have the "wrong door"...

• Agree
Reactions: FatNTired and Angie

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
That's the part I struggle with too. It seems to minimize his culpability and turn it into a "wrong place wrong time" kind of thing.
I fully understand the teacher's reaction. It is a tragic outcome though. With that said, I also noticed the "wrong place, wrong time" coming through and I don't want to imagine what he was intending to do if he was in the right apartment. Like I said before though, it is a very tragic story for a young man who finally had things going his way with his dream job.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
interesting article but the author seemed so choppy.

a teammate wanted him to go to vegas instead of his kid's first birthday party? in what world is that celebrated?
Well, it WAS mentioned (several times) that the relationship with the mother was contentious. Birthdays and life events are common problems for parents who do not share the home with the child. If you've ever been around a bitterly divorced couple you might have seen this in action.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Wow, pretty eye-opening article.

He had so much talent, and yet so many beneath-the-surface issues. Just a tragic story no matter how you slice it.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I don't think it's too unusual for a teacher to live in an unfamiliar area, working with unfamiliar people, to have a handgun. I'm currently in small town Iowa where half the people here have lived here their whole lives, know everyone, yet still have handguns in their night stand.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Glad this opens up about his attitude issues.

Will never happen, but I would love to hear about what really happened that led us to lose to UAB. I've had one player tell me personally, a different player tell a close friend, and a coach inform a booster I am family friends with that, while not the reason we lost, his hissy fit in the locker room at halftime led to a massive lack of focus that game. However, the player I talked to didn't want to go into detail what it was all about, just that it seemed like BDJ was pretty much booted off the team before the start of the second half.

Was it that he wasn't playing enough? Was he so pissed about how the game was going he went off on everyone? Don't agree with what Matt A. has to say, but glad he opened up about his feelings for Iowa State.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
Glad this opens up about his attitude issues.

Will never happen, but I would love to hear about what really happened that led us to lose to UAB. I've had one player tell me personally, a different player tell a close friend, and a coach inform a booster I am family friends with that, while not the reason we lost, his hissy fit in the locker room at halftime led to a massive lack of focus that game. However, the player I talked to didn't want to go into detail what it was all about, just that it seemed like BDJ was pretty much booted off the team before the start of the second half.

Was it that he wasn't playing enough? Was he so pissed about how the game was going he went off on everyone? Don't agree with what Matt A. has to say, but glad he opened up about his feelings for Iowa State.

I'm sure the stuff that's come out about Freddy and McKay may have factored into his mentality there.