Rep. or no Rep?

What do you think of Rep. on this site?

• I like it the way it is.

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • It is ok but negative rep is pointless.

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • I don't like it at all.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • What is rep?

Votes: 11 11.5%

• Total voters

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Or maybe it would be ok if only the moderators had power to give negative rep....?

I like the idea of only Moderators, who seem to be a little more impartial and realistic in their assessments, being the only ones to give negative rep.

In my opinion negative rep should only be used when people write derogatory comments about others, not simply when someone disagrees with an opionion.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
And another thing: Why can't people with negative rep affect other people's rep? Someone who's popular with the unpopulars is still popular, and this is in fact a popularity contest.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's the program that Jer is using to run the site that determines that?

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I find it interesting that those that consistently get negative rep always chalk it up to someone simply disagreeing with their opinion or someone being immature. Although this may happen occasionally, I find the members that consistently receive negative rep are ones who are either insulting in their posts or they come on and bash the site and Jeremy. I think the negative rep can be a good thing if the people receiving it would really take a look at themselves and change their behavior, but I don't know that that's really happening.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Good point CloneFan65.

I know in a few cases where I received some - rep, it opened my eyes to how I was making my point and I tried to find ways to improve it.

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
I find it interesting that those that consistently get negative rep always chalk it up to someone simply disagreeing with their opinion or someone being immature. Although this may happen occasionally, I find the members that consistently receive negative rep are ones who are either insulting in their posts or they come on and bash the site and Jeremy. I think the negative rep can be a good thing if the people receiving it would really take a look at themselves and change their behavior, but I don't know that that's really happening.

I agree. Maybe to discourage abuse of negative rep, it could require 2 people to disapprove of a given post. Then a single user couldn't randomly snipe at others, but an insulting post would almost certainly receive negative points from multiple users.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
maybe keep it, but change it up.....not sure how though