Rep. or no Rep?

What do you think of Rep. on this site?

• I like it the way it is.

Votes: 46 47.9%
  • It is ok but negative rep is pointless.

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • I don't like it at all.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • What is rep?

Votes: 11 11.5%

• Total voters

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
I personally think that rep is Ok to have on here because sometimes it is nice to know that people agree with what you are trying to say. BUT I think that the negative rep needs to go, it is just really pointless. What does everyone else think?

Aug 21, 2006
Des Moines
I think negative rep should stay, but the person who leaves it should be forced to leave their name....this will force them to leave a legitimate reason for the rep, cutting down on a lot of the stupid crap.

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
Giving rep would seem to be a buddy system and useless to this type of environment. A person with a positive 1000 rep can has as much power as a person with -1000 so it would seem like it is just an ego-boasting trip for those who frequent this site regularly. Yet, it isn't hurting anything either so if it is important to some people for it to stay, then so be it.

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
I'm fine with it, whoever gives me negative rep just gets put on my people to kill list.

*Disclaimer: This was a joke making reference to the movie Billy Madison. I do not support the killing of Cyclone Fans for any reason. However... if you're a Hawkeye fan

**Disclaimer #2: That was another joke, I do not support the killing of Hawkeye fans for any reason either because then there wouldn't be anybody left to bag my groceries when I shop for food.

***Disclaimer #3: Do not feel offended if you are a bagger at a grocery store. It was another joke, I was a bagger and cart pusher at a Hy-Vee when I was in high school and feel your pain.

****Disclaimer #4: If you're eyes go bad from staring at computer screens too long to read my posts on Cyclone Fanatic, I will not be held liable to pay any doctors fees. I am a college student and couldn't afford it anyhow.

Aug 21, 2006
Des Moines
I'm fine with it, whoever gives me negative rep just gets put on my people to kill list.

*Disclaimer: This was a joke making reference to the movie Billy Madison. I do not support the killing of Cyclone Fans for any reason. However... if you're a Hawkeye fan

**Disclaimer #2: That was another joke, I do not support the killing of Hawkeye fans for any reason either because then there wouldn't be anybody left to bag my groceries when I shop for food.

***Disclaimer #3: Do not feel offended if you are a bagger at a grocery store. It was another joke, I was a bagger and cart pusher at a Hy-Vee when I was in high school and feel your pain.

****Disclaimer #4: If you're eyes go bad from staring at computer screens too long to read my posts on Cyclone Fanatic, I will not be held liable to pay any doctors fees. I am a college student and couldn't afford it anyhow.

Taking a long, drawn out break from studying I see:rolleyes5cz:

Dormeezy

Nov 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids

Well, I guess if I ever gave you negative rep, I'd have to call you up 10 years later and apologize. Then of course you would cross my name off your list and apply a generous ammount of lipstick.

MrApathy

Aug 7, 2006
negative rep wouldnt be needed if people thought before posting.
some people getting negative rep for making bad comments specially against coaching staff to the likes of mangino this or that.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
-- Mark Twain

Last edited:

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com

All I have to say is "perfect"!

kcclone

Oct 25, 2006
Its a nice concept, but the way it appears to be used here by some posters is rather childish.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
negative rep wouldnt be needed if people thought before posting.
some people getting negative rep for making bad comments specially against coaching staff to the likes of mangino this or that.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
-- Mark Twain

I agree. No more comparisons to mangino lookalikes. Only if we lose eight games in a row next year. Just the facts, baby.

And please no more mention of Appleby or Pizza hut sightings of our new coaches are allowed on this website. People look like that and cannot help it. How many people can honestly say they are superior to the staff?

These super guys are making $200k or more a year. Not too shabby for dabbling in sports. A lot better than the majority. Consider them hard charging businessmen that can play a lot of golf in the off season. Give them the respect their positions have earned them. If they packed it on a little, who hasn't? If I was a coach, the stress to win might turn me into a Mangino lookalike. I said might.

No reason to judge a book by its cover. The recruiting has just begun. The schedule is out, but no games have been played. Wait until the iowa game next year if we lose, before delving to the obvious. Remember. This site is a discussion site preferably about facts. We do not need personal attacks like those against Barney. That was bush league. The man has a great family. Just focus on the playcalling and the wins or looses. I am outta here.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Can somebody help me out on the formula for rep? Mine jumped by like 40 points and doesn't show that anyone gave me some under user cp. Do you get one point per person repping you, do you get more from higher rep people repping you? Are there other ways to get it, like by participating more in posting or voting in polls?

Thanks in advance, I have looked all over the site for an explanation!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Can somebody help me out on the formula for rep? Mine jumped by like 40 points and doesn't show that anyone gave me some under user cp. Do you get one point per person repping you, do you get more from higher rep people repping you? Are there other ways to get it, like by participating more in posting or voting in polls?

Thanks in advance, I have looked all over the site for an explanation!

No problem, isucyfan! You are correct - you get higher rep depending on the rep of the person giving it to you. People with neg rep or really low rep (under 10, I think) don't affect your rep at all (and will show as gray-blue boxes in your user cp). People with incredibly high rep could affect you as much as 250 points at a time. Being given rep by others is really the only way to affect your own rep.

I'm going to guess your jump was a delayed reaction?

Does that help? :biggrin9gp:

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Giving rep would seem to be a buddy system and useless to this type of environment.

That's the way I see it. This is an online community, and people's reputations will speak for themselves without having a green or red symbol under their names. I'd say it's harmless, except that people really seem to judge other posters based on their reputation, when they may have received the negative reputation for simply disagreeing with a popular viewpoint.

It should be removed.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Thanks Angie! That explains it. While I'm asking...how do you become a senior member? Is it time, level of involvement, post count? Also, do you get anything rep-wise (is that a word?) for donating ( I did that yesterday when the rep jumped, thought that may be it) I'm not asking for anything for my donation besides supporting the best Cyclone site out there, but just wondering!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks Angie! That explains it. While I'm asking...how do you become a senior member? Is it time, level of involvement, post count? Also, do you get anything rep-wise (is that a word?) for donating ( I did that yesterday when the rep jumped, thought that may be it) I'm not asking for anything for my donation besides supporting the best Cyclone site out there, but just wondering!

Yup, senior member is based off of post count. It should jump you up to senior member at 200 posts.

I can go in and designate that you're a "premium member" - there's not a rep jump for it, but you definitely are appreciated. :biggrin9gp:

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
And another thing: Why can't people with negative rep affect other people's rep? Someone who's popular with the unpopulars is still popular, and this is in fact a popularity contest.