Redskins Yes or no

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I haven't read the entire thread, but what about the Washington Lobbyists? Or the Washington Gridlock?

Seriously though, I hope they change it to the Washington Redtails. I think that would be sweet, and you could have some cool logos and merchandise too.

Reactions: Peter

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I used to think they should change it. Then I learned the name was actually conceived by a Native American coach in the organization and was meant to honor the courage and bravery of his ancestors. Since then I've wavered. There really are two sides to every story.

It's much more about angry white people than native Americans. The Washington post survey found 9 of 10 NA didn't have a problem with the name whatsoever.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
It's much more about angry white people than native Americans. The Washington post survey found 9 of 10 NA didn't have a problem with the name whatsoever.

Not angry about this, but I think 1 in 10 NA being unhappy with the name is enough to warrant a change.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
I like the historical and patriotic backdrop to the Navajo Nation's suggestion of "Washington Code Talkers"

But it just doesn't sound right.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
love it when people are more offended than the people it’s supposed to offend. Glad the Notre Dame fighting Irish will not change their name even though that is a huge Irish stereotype. Washington can juat change it to Washington skins

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't typically like these debates, I feel most (not all) Native Americans are represented in a positive manner when used as nicknames, many of those than arent positive have been altered but this is shouldn't really be a debate. It's not comparable to things like Aztecs, Seminoles etc even Braves and Indians are ok as names if they don't have questionable mascots (see Chief Wahoo)...I mean who even refers to Native people as redskins? If its not appropriate to use in everyday conversation, it shouldn't be acceptable to use as a team mascot.
I'm surprised that Indians isn't one which would be offensive, considering they were given that name by an ignorant white man looking for India. It is however in the lexicon, used to represent a general term for all Natives.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'm surprised that Indians isn't one which would be offensive, considering they were given that name by an ignorant white man looking for India.

I’ve saw a couple woke types refer to the group as American Indians recently. Don’t really know the story behind that. Maybe a broader term to allow the various tribes heritages to be larger?

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I'll add this, I love nicknames or mascots that embrace the local culture. Sooners, Cornhuskers, Bison, Mountaineers, Hurricanes, Packers, even Cyclones.

I have no idea what affiliation DC has to redskins. Enlighten me if there is one.
Er, well, you see, long before Europeans arrived on this continent, Native American tribes could be found everywhere, even at the site that DC now sits. I think it was Powhatan territory?

Reactions: matclone

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I’ve saw a couple woke types refer to the group as American Indians recently. Don’t really know the story behind that. Maybe a broader term to allow the various tribes heritages to be larger?
Ya, I'm white as ****. I can't really tell you what the general population of Natives would say. I think Natives is most appropriate as a change for Indians as far as sensitivity goes.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Odd thought, but I was wondering what DC will be called if statehood passes. Apparently the current bill will change the name to "State of Washington, Douglass Commonwealth" in honor of Fredrick Douglass. Though previous proposals would have made the name New Columbia.

I was just thinking, if DC becomes a state with a different name, how would the teams change their names to reflect it?