Recommend Handyman or other

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
OP, this is totally something I would do, you have my sympathy. I’m sort of handy, and would probably attempt to remove and rehang the door myself. However... if your first instinct was to call a handyman, that’s probably the right thing to do. Save time, dignity, maybe even some money, and get the job done right.

Reactions: kkise

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
OP, this is totally something I would do, you have my sympathy. I’m sort of handy, and would probably attempt to remove and rehang the door myself. However... if your first instinct was to call a handyman, that’s probably the right thing to do. Save time, dignity, maybe even some money, and get the job done right.

Or go straight for the Sawzall!!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't know your whole situation, but if it were me, I'd consider just putting in a new, bigger door because I don't think you'll get the room you need by doing what you're talking about.

Just so you feel better, I measured nothing when I bought furniture last. Luckily I got away with it but there were some moments.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I was about to start this exact thread looking for a handyman in Ankeny. Maybe I'll wait a week and start a new one, this is more of a removing door thread now.

I have a couple places in our ceiling that need dry wall replaced from plumbing leaks. Might also have a few other little items as well as we are not handy, and are looking to sell semi-soon.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
To assist in answering your question, I do not know a handyman but you probably need to tell who you do find that you need to remove the door and then reinstall it.

I would go to the lumberyard or menards and ask them for a local reference.

Oh Lord, don't even think of asking at menards. Those people are clueless.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You guys have me worried. I just ordered a new couch and didn’t bother measuring because my current couch is pretty big. The new one is slightly bigger so I’ve been worried it’s too big for my living room. But now I’m worried they won’t be able to get it into my house!

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
You guys have me worried. I just ordered a new couch and didn’t bother measuring because my current couch is pretty big. The new one is slightly bigger so I’ve been worried it’s too big for my living room. But now I’m worried they won’t be able to get it into my house!

Most furniture will fit through a 36” entry door. If you happen to be dealing with a 32” entry or a 28” interior door you might start running into some issues. Basically, at the very least you should be able to get almost anything through the front door. After that is where things get interesting, especially when hallways combined with narrow doorways come into play.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Buy a sled hammer. It will fit.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Most furniture will fit through a 36” entry door. If you happen to be dealing with a 32” entry or a 28” interior door you might start running into some issues. Basically, at the very least you should be able to get almost anything through the front door. After that is where things get interesting, especially when hallways combined with narrow doorways come into play.

I think mines 32. It should be interesting. But if they can squeeze it through it’s a straight shot.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Any handymen on CF have recommendations? The door to my garage is messed up on the bottom, so it makes it very difficult to close. I was going to remove the hinges and see if I could nail in the part that is messed up, but the middle hinge is different from the others, and I have no idea how to remove this. The bottom part looks like it is meant for a flat head screwdriver, but whenever I try to turn it with a flat head, it stops turning in both directions. Trying to pry it out also is not working.

Attachments

• 20200812_154823.jpg
    20200812_154823.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200812_154638.jpg
    20200812_154638.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200812_154622.jpg
    20200812_154622.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200812_154609.jpg
    20200812_154609.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 15

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
I am also in search of a handyman if anyone has recs. I will not be sharing the project due to fear of being ridiculed. Thanks

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Any handymen on CF have recommendations? The door to my garage is messed up on the bottom, so it makes it very difficult to close. I was going to remove the hinges and see if I could nail in the part that is messed up, but the middle hinge is different from the others, and I have no idea how to remove this. The bottom part looks like it is meant for a flat head screwdriver, but whenever I try to turn it with a flat head, it stops turning in both directions. Trying to pry it out also is not working.

Ive never seen a pin like that but I’m assuming it’s a security pin with some type of release. Try turning it counter clockwise all the way and then pry the pin upwards at the top of the hinge with a screwdriver or prybar. I’ve also used vice grips and a hammer for breaking hinges loose. If it doesn’t work in that direction, try clockwise.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneGuy8

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

Side note, if the door is dragging you can also just adjust the threshold at the bottom by turning in the large adjustment screws at the bottom of the frame. Or you can spend the 10 or 15 bucks on a new door seal. They are pretty easy to replace when you get the door off. Most just press into place. At most, you’d have to glue it. If you nail the existing, you’ll get a draft because that part won’t seal to the threshold.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

You have a self-closing hinge on that one. It is tension loaded so it will pull the door shut on it's own. It may have broke. I had it happen to our house/garage door and I had to take two screws out and then wedge a bar in the hinge so when I started taking the last screw out it wouldn't snap shut before I could get done. I ended up with a new door since the door was slightly messed up anyhow.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneGuy8

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
PM me for handyman in DSM area. He’s a hawk but a great guy none the less. Primarily does tile and hardwood but I’ve flipped houses with him before and he can do a little of everything.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
You have a self-closing hinge on that one. It is tension loaded so it will pull the door shut on it's own. It may have broke. I had it happen to our house/garage door and I had to take two screws out and then wedge a bar in the hinge so when I started taking the last screw out it wouldn't snap shut before I could get done. I ended up with a new door since the door was slightly messed up anyhow.

That would make more sense than what I thought. I don’t think I’ve seen a self closing hinge like that. Normally the center section of the hinge is solid like the one below.

61fuocsew-L._AC_SY355_.jpg

JaCyn

Mar 18, 2017
How does removing the trim free up a couple of inches? I would think you would have to remove the entire door then rehang the door.
Agree. You can take off the door and hinges but whats left is frame. Trim is on the outside.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron