Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The next thing will be that the Big10 East will want to have its own TV contract because they deserve more than the West. They’ll break apart and form two 10 team conferences. Until a few years later when one of those 10 team conferences decide they need to expand to get a better deal. They’ll raid the other conferences until they’re back up to 29 teams. Rinse repeat.
There won't be a B1G East after this season.

Reactions: DukeofStratford

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I think the B1G will add Oregon & Washington now, and Florida State, Notre Dame, Virginia, North Carolina, Clemson, and one more later. The one more will be interesting; I’ll guess Miami unless the SEC decides to change course.

I could see the SEC adding NC State and Virginia Tech, but it will depend on their on-field performance between now and whenever this blows up.

If all of this happens, the Big 12 will have its choice of programs like Pitt, Louisville, Syracuse, Duke, Georgia Tech. Those first four sound like pretty good fits in a league that’s going heavy into basketball.
Yes. The more way things are shaping out with BIG trying to grab markets to keep from the B12 the more I think BY is right trying to become the best bball conference. I feel it's the only way we'll survive long term.

Reactions: DukeofStratford

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
There won't be a B1G East after this season.
There will still be Ohio State and Michigan and Penn State making the same TV money as Illinois and Purdue and Rutgers, which is the same point.

I think we are a couple decades away from that but it is coming.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
OMG! I wonder if that is real?

You see, I live in MO, and pretty much think that fireworks are:
A waste of money. Stupid. Dangerous. Disrespectful (noise, dogs, Vets). Yet our State allows them.

And this is what could happen. Sheesh! The only thing better here, would be if their van caught on fire, blew up, then their house burned down. The fire Dept was then called to put it out and lost a man!

Totally makes sense. Sorry for the rant.
Yea, it happened last year during the 4th of July

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Read as “B1G is trying to stir up a realignment storm to get ND to finally jump, but Networks aren’t having it and the SEC isn’t playing along this time.”

ND will only join a conference if they don’t have a seat at the same table as the conference commissioners.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Yes. The more way things are shaping out with BIG trying to grab markets to keep from the B12 the more I think BY is right trying to become the best bball conference. I feel it's the only way we'll survive long term.
I wouldn't say "survive" but maybe "thrive".

They say bball is 20% of the media value. What if that changes over the next 10-20 years as bball becomes more popular and football dwindles a bit due to CTE, interest, etc? Maybe becomes 60/40, and the Big12 has the majority of the big names? Maybe the money differential won't be 50%, maybe it will get narrowed to 20% and they can absolutely stand with the SEC and B1G.

Honestly that's what I think BY is working towards as a long term strategy.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

They say bball is 20% of the media value. What if that changes over the next 10-20 years as bball becomes more popular and football dwindles a bit due to CTE, interest, etc? Maybe becomes 60/40, and the Big12 has the majority of the big names? Maybe the money differential won't be 50%, maybe it will get narrowed to 20% and they can absolutely stand with the SEC and B1G.

I think basketball will grow as a share of media rights value but by doing so it will make Kansas and Arizona more attractive to both the B1G and SEC as targets. So the Big 12 will rise but if it rises too fast its most valuable schools will probably get scooped up for the same reason.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Chrissie Teigen can be pretty annoying but she did once have a terrific quote. "I think it's cute how people are pretending to like kale these days."

I'm OK with kale if it's chopped up small and has a sweet poppy seed dressing. Basically, I don't want to chew it or taste it.
Kale is great in zuppa toscana soup, with some Italian sausage in a creamy base … yummy.

But that’s about the only way I’ll eat kale.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa

Do you see football dwindling at that much in the next 10 years? Personally I don't. Not with how much more they are pumping into youth leagues, camps, flag football, womens flag football, etc.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
From Thamel's ESPN+, interesting take on M. Crow:

"Crow has been at ASU since 2002 and has played a central role in keeping the school's sleeping giant of an athletic department, asleep. As former commissioner Larry Scott's staunchest supporter, Crow was a central figure in the league's failures during his tenure. ASU leaving would mark a Crow failure, something he's expected to be hesitant to do because of his role in the downfall."