Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
CG observing the championship game to prepare a volleyball improvement spreadsheet:
bm577f7704043023.14894580p-9,13,1920,1280.jpg

@cowgirl836 are these ^^^^^^^ games od yours open to the public? They look..........uuhhhh..........fun to watch.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Volleyball update -

so we get there and other team only had 4 people. Ok, maybe that's why there were a 12 seed in a 13 team field??? Still not sure how they beat the 5 last week but oh well.

Start playing. They do bump set spike. Ruh roh. And they could serve well. We did well on our side and getting the ball down, but they'd go on serving runs and keep it close. We took the first 22-20 and then were down 7-14 in the second. DH had an excellent serving run and we got it to 17-18. Then they went on another serving run and won 21-18.

Fifth set. We were keeping it close and at 11-11 I was up to serve. I'd been serving pretty ****** and felt bad about it. I turned it on at the right time. I got an ace followed by them pushing it back too far to me and I called it out - and it was by like 1 inch. Teammate is like "CG, you just want us to leave the court for you??" lol. Got to 14-11 and we lost my serve. I was much sad.

So then they started targeting our weakest person and she shanked two serves. We lost the next as well and suddenly it's 14-14. Ref is like oh yeah it's a hard cap at 15. Well ****, thanks for mentioning that sooner. So we go back and forth and DH was a beast covering pretty much the whole left side. Just back and forth with him, probably three times. They pushed it back to him again and I thought he had time to back up for it and at the last second I realized he didn't and was expecting me to cut over and we lost it :(

I felt so, so bad because I hadn't wanted to step in and risk running into him. He was mad for a second but then at home was like no, it was a bad shot for him and they had been targeting that other teammate and so it wasn't really my fault, just a bad spot.

But we are super duper curious how they went 1-5 in the first six games - only winning the last game of the season and getting swept more often than not. There are sets in there where they didn't crack double digits. Then in the playoffs they beat us and #5 2-1. DH said if they had 6 people they should have been intermediate. So we suspect either they had six to start and the other two sucked so they got rid of them or they have changed out some people over the season.

Maybe having the sub this week would have been enough but hard to say. We had a decent run and I'm glad I ended with serving well.

It's called sandbagging. Went to the state trap shoot one yr and there was a guy there that consistently shot 47/48out of 50 in sporting clays. He shot the minimum # of trap targets poorly to qualify in the lowest class of trap (D). He won it with a 198//200. I just told him nice job of sandbagging. I'm sure he won some money, but anyone that knew him knew he sure as hell wasn't a class D shooter.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Our Homecoming week is a bit messed up because of the ISU game. Usually the parade and coronation is Thursday night. Now the parade is Monday and coronation will be done at halftime.

All the schools do dress up days (different depending on the school). The 6th grader is on student council and one of their choices they were voting on was "black tie day" essentially dressing very fancy. Except the 6th graders have an outdoor field trip (half On Wednesday and half on Thursday) of that week. Brilliant planning, I just told her she won't be dressing up for whatever day Thursday is.

My oldest looked at me like I had two heads when I asked if she wanted to get her hair done for the dance. She has two styles--a ponytail (99.3% of the time) or straight/down for the .7% of occasions like Easter or school pictures.

Boys, she is pretty low maintenance. Stays away from drama, can talk sports, and likes cool music.

Well if you keep shooting down Pants I'm guessing he'll just be patient and wait for her to turn 18.:eek:o_O

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
It's called sandbagging. Went to the state trap shoot one yr and there was a guy there that consistently shot 47/48out of 50 in sporting clays. He shot the minimum # of trap targets poorly to qualify in the lowest class of trap (D). He won it with a 198//200. I just told him nice job of sandbagging. I'm sure he won some money, but anyone that knew him knew he sure as hell wasn't a class D shooter.

I believe you may be correct, sir.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, still in 1963 after biking 20 miles. Couldn't get up enough speed for time travel back to 2017.

Might have had something to do with the 23 mph winds and the 29 mph wind gusts. Ack! Maxed out at 22 mph coming down Teddy Hill and was distracted by neighbor gal Maggie biking up the hill and giving me a shout.

Heading back outside. Dad wants me to wash the '58 Buick. So much chrome, so damn much chrome. Probably rinse off my Schwinn while I am at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: wxman1 and Cybirdy

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Scyclone - What kind of beer is in your refrigerator or, to be more accurate, the refrigerator of your wife since you've recently passed? Also, do you have any Irish Whiskey or upscale gin in the liquor cabinet?
More importantly, does your grieving widow need a cat (or three) to console her and give her comfort?

I know this person that has a cat...

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Well, still in 1963 after biking 20 miles. Couldn't get up enough speed for time travel back to 2017.

Might have had something to do with the 23 mph winds and the 29 mph wind gusts. Ack! Maxed out at 22 mph coming down Teddy Hill and was distracted by neighbor gal Maggie biking up the hill and giving me a shout.

Heading back outside. Dad wants me to wash the '58 Buick. So much chrome, so damn much chrome. Probably rinse off my Schwinn while I am at it.

Well, treat yourself to some Fizzies when you're done.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
More importantly, does your grieving widow need a cat (or three) to console her and give her comfort?

I know this person that has a cat...

Ha! I finally got tested for allergies this year, turns out I'm allergic to all sorts of things, cats and dogs included. So poor Sierra had to go (although we found an excellent home for her!). I'm sure my grieving widow would fill the house with pets as soon as I'm gone.

On a related note, I was never a cat person until I married my wife. She had a black cat named Jinx that she had owned for 15 years. Jinx made the move from Washington with us in the Penske truck, and I became a cat person. She would lie in my lap while I rubbed her ears and she'd purr so loud the rafters shook. So.....at age 17, when it was time for Jinx to go to cat heaven, who do you suppose took her to the vet's office? (HINT: It wasn't my chickenshit wife, that's for sure! ;))

• Friendly
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I tried calling my parents the other night. They didn't pick up, and their answering machine didn't work either. They are both in their 80s and I had a mild freak out. I finally got a hold of them last night and it turns out they just had a phone outage.

Role reversal sucks.
Several years ago we booked a late January cruise and told our kids about it when we booked it. Apparently we were supposed to remind them daily that we would be gone. One son tried to call (no phone service for our cell), tried to email, freaked out & started calling all the siblings. Not ONE remembered we had told them we would be gone for a week. We docked in Ft Lauderdale, prepared to spend several days wandering around Florida. We were met with multiple voice mails...so many that we thought something had happened to one of them. When we called, we were on the receiving end of a lengthy tirade about not responding IMMEDIATELY when he called us. Yeah. That went over well with PapaLew. :)

Reactions: oldman and SCyclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Several years ago we booked a late January cruise and told our kids about it when we booked it. Apparently we were supposed to remind them daily that we would be gone. One son tried to call (no phone service for our cell), tried to email, freaked out & started calling all the siblings. Not ONE remembered we had told them we would be gone for a week. We docked in Ft Lauderdale, prepared to spend several days wandering around Florida. We were met with multiple voice mails...so many that we thought something had happened to one of them. When we called, we were on the receiving end of a lengthy tirade about not responding IMMEDIATELY when he called us. Yeah. That went over well with PapaLew. :)

People will know I am dead when the mail starts to pile up along with a pile of newspapers on the front porch. Pretty sure Rose our mail carrier would start asking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron