Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Returned from vacation last night. I can see why so many Minnesotans end up in Fort Myers. It's big enough that there's plenty to do but small enough that it's easy to get around (except on Fort Myers Beach and Sanibel). Also, Kennedy Space Center is way better than I remember it (there was a big piece of the space shuttle Challenger that you couldn't not cry at), and Universal Orlando was great with The Mummy and Minion's Mayhem sticking out as particularly enjoyable rides. Spirit Airlines came through with no problems whatsoever, either way.

My parents drove 200mi each way from southern Florida to visit the Kennedy Space Center last week. They were there from 9am-6:30pm and said they weren't able to see everything. Lots of standing in lines, but I think they liked it and wished they had more time there.

Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
School starts back on Monday, including ISU. Our school thinks it is a great idea to conferences right before spring break so my kids had a 1/2 day last Thursday, Friday off, then home the entire week. Great for people traveling, to so fun for those of us stuck at home with 4 kids and a hubby who works at home.

Z and I had a great time.
Looking forward to seeing the library again tomorrow, but not because I'm tired of Z time.
Not saying you're tired of that, but I know I'll see a lot of intensely relieved parents at preschool tomorrow.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What should I put for an end date and reason for leaving for my current job on a job application? My resume would obviously show that I'm presently working, but those are required fields. Should I use my available to start date and put "presently employed"?

Put N/A or when available for your new job.

Why do you want to leave? If better pay, say that. If better opportunities or closer to your skills, say that. If you’re leaving because you are getting busy with boss’s daughter, don’t say that.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Should have let Pant's tax minions do my taxes earlier. Just went through them and am getting a lot back (yuge). Used to have this plus or minus a hundred or two max either way. Withholding got WAY out of sync with me not working last year. Going to fix that.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Should have let Pant's tax minions do my taxes earlier. Just went through them and am getting a lot back (yuge). Used to have this plus or minus a hundred or two max either way. Withholding got WAY out of sync with me not working last year. Going to fix that.
Just don't let them talk you into getting a social security number for pets. (and claiming new dependents)

• Informative
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Z and I had a great time.
Looking forward to seeing the library again tomorrow, but not because I'm tired of Z time.
Not saying you're tired of that, but I know I'll see a lot of intensely relieved parents at preschool tomorrow.

Or Monday. ;) Actually our preschooler goes Tue-Fri, but I get rid of 3 kids plus the hubby on Monday.

You can tell when the kids are getting bored. Last week the oldest had asked if we could move the Wii to the basement "because every fun party house has a Wii in the basement." (Not planning any parties that I know of--ha!) The Wii hardly ever gets played with upstairs, so we hooked it up downstairs today. She played for an hour and a half. Now all 4 kids are playing Legos together . . .

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and cyrevkah

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Watching the halftime blurb on TV and they were talking about the top 289 towns to watch NCAA basketball. One town mentioned was Itta Bena MS at #19. When they showed the graphic of the list, Ames IA was immediately below them at #20. Yay Ames & ISU!!!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Or Monday. ;) Actually our preschooler goes Tue-Fri, but I get rid of 3 kids plus the hubby on Monday.

You can tell when the kids are getting bored. Last week the oldest had asked if we could move the Wii to the basement "because every fun party house has a Wii in the basement." (Not planning any parties that I know of--ha!) The Wii hardly ever gets played with upstairs, so we hooked it up downstairs today. She played for an hour and a half. Now all 4 kids are playing Legos together . . .

Either day works?
Z doesn't get bored. We've got that going for us. She's pretty creative.
And she has a new toy today. That little dragon is fun.

But on Monday, many, many or the preschool parents actually will say out loud (because they did after the last break) how excited they are to have the kids away in school. It's always disheartening to hear parents go there.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
In other news, we made a run through Toys-R-Us today.

Something that stood out to me is just how stark the whole place is, even with all the colorful toys. You can almost feel the building say "screw you, spend some money."

Seems like such an easy business to make appear friendly and entice people to spend even more, but whatever.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
UConn ladies put 140 pts on the board todayo_O. Hope TT keeps on coming back to win this game. Iowa lost to Creighton in ladies NCAA today. I think I was pretty darn close on my crowd prediction whenever they camera wasn't on the court all you saw was a sea of seats. Mississippi State had a huge crowd at home today looked like a fun environment.

Man what a beautiful day out today. Had about an hr of slowed down driving early AM, then drove out of ice onto clear paving, once the sun came up it was awesome. Had a really good Reuben for supper tonight.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
On the commercial theme at least @BCClone will be able to tell us if you can get sprinkles at Fort alamode.

I must have been watching too much wrestling, because I have no clue what you're talking about. I can guess Alamo, but not sure what the sprinkles are. If it has anything to do with enterprise woman, I will shovee her in a closet there and slink away.

Worked today to get a little ahead. Working after church tomorrow also, then busting my hump for four days to not be buried when I get back.

Last edited:

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Either day works?
Z doesn't get bored. We've got that going for us. She's pretty creative.
And she has a new toy today. That little dragon is fun.

But on Monday, many, many or the preschool parents actually will say out loud (because they did after the last break) how excited they are to have the kids away in school. It's always disheartening to hear parents go there.

Yesterday I learned the Barbie family tree at our house, complete with pets, and I swear that took a good 10 minutes.

A lot of my excitement for going back to school is the routine and I know they love it there. The preschooler is a totally different kid when she is at school (I volunteer in the classroom and see what she is like there). She saves all the good behavior for school. ;) I have also been doing this stay at home gig for 15 years now with at least one kid home full time almost the entire time. I need a few hours to myself . . .

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Yesterday I learned the Barbie family tree at our house, complete with pets, and I swear that took a good 10 minutes.

A lot of my excitement for going back to school is the routine and I know they love it there. The preschooler is a totally different kid when she is at school (I volunteer in the classroom and see what she is like there). She saves all the good behavior for school. ;) I have also been doing this stay at home gig for 15 years now with at least one kid home full time almost the entire time. I need a few hours to myself . . .

That's all good. Your version is much more dramatic than the parents who'll be dancing to their car on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.