Random Thoughts X (The 9th Regeneration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I have a really stupid bachelor dude question.

My oven is self cleaning. But do I still spray oven cleaner in there, or am I just supposed to turn it on and let it do its thing?

Somebody has probably answered, let it do it's thing be careful it will get crazy hot and take while.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I never use the self cleaning feature. I think it makes the oven die quicker. I suppose if you are renting though, who cares? Have heard some suggest you should leave the house due to the fumes but I wouldn't be comfortable with that, leaving with an oven on over 600 degrees. The fumes have been known to kill pet birds.

I use baking soda and vinegar once a month.
The foil trick takes care of most of it, but I use mine a couple of times a year for back up. Usually when I can have windows open at the same time. :)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Self cleaning ovens

027c7b10c158dc649ecac0839fbe1974.jpg

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I do the self cleaning in the winter being that the burner is on for like 5 hours. That's a lot of heat that I might as well take advantage of

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Maybe Birdy can ask one of her house maids?

They don't clean the oven, only my microwave. In almost 20yrs of renting/homeownership I have never used the self cleaning cycle. And like others have said, it cleans by burning everything so you don't use additional cleaner.

I used to use just oven cleaner spray, but tend to do less chemical cleaning now (no particular reason). If you have time and elbow grease, you can make a paste of baking soda and water and put that on the mess. Let it sit overnight and then wipe out with a damp cloth. Then you can spray vinegar on any leftover spots and continue to wipe out until everything is gone. You could also cover the baking soda paste with soapy paper towels. That is how I clean my glass cooktop. Let sit and then wipe off.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I'm gonna need a review from @GTO before I can give my blessing on this.
I'm not much of an expert on horror TV series. Mostly just movies. There are very few TV series that I'll follow regularly: Z Nation, TWD, FTWD, Lucha Underground, Full Frontal, The Daily Sow, @Midnight, Into The Badlands, and New Japan Pro Wrestling. Other than those, I'll watch the Baja Races, but honestly, that is about it for TV series.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I'm not much of an expert on horror TV series. Mostly just movies. There are very few TV series that I'll follow regularly: Z Nation, TWD, FTWD, Lucha Underground, Full Frontal, The Daily Sow, @Midnight, Into The Badlands, and New Japan Pro Wrestling. Other than those, I'll watch the Baja Races, but honestly, that is about it for TV series.

No Stranger Things in there?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
These aren't horror. They're more along the lines of space westerns, like Firefly.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Long and busy weekend and I am not going to catch up on these pages.

Friday was pretty cool out at the airport with the B-17. Met a guy that flew a lot of missions in one as well as one guy that was a belly turret gunner...he was a small guy.

Yesterday we had a wedding in DSM and the reception was at the botanical center which was cool.

Today was the fly-in breakfast at Marion which was a pretty good turnout. Back out with the B-17 this afternoon. They needed to do an engine run before closing up for the night and I got to sit inside so I took video of the bomb bay doors closing as well as the engine starting. If I would have been paying attention I could have gotten a free ride on it down to Springfield, IL tomorrow morning. Oh well, next time.

Reactions: jcyclonee and NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I do the self cleaning in the winter being that the burner is on for like 5 hours. That's a lot of heat that I might as well take advantage of
Sold an oven to an employee once. (not a bright batch). They put a turkey in and ran the oven cleaner mode. Said the turkey was delicious.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Hey, RTT folks, long time, no see. Thought I'd drop a line to share....those of you who remember me talking about der hund...he went home last Friday. He had been in liver failure since March-ish, was slowly losing weight. Still happy and full of life, so we were treating his symptoms trying to get him to keep on weight (including me making 'fat pills' treats of pork fat, steel cut oats, peanut butter, and cottage cheese). Had some good times to prepare, but the week before this one he started to turn and wouldn't eat, and lost energy. We had him put down last Friday. It was of course very hard, but I can think of a hundred ways the situation could have been worse. Hope y'all are doing well.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Hey, RTT folks, long time, no see. Thought I'd drop a line to share....those of you who remember me talking about der hund...he went home last Friday. He had been in liver failure since March-ish, was slowly losing weight. Still happy and full of life, so we were treating his symptoms trying to get him to keep on weight (including me making 'fat pills' treats of pork fat, steel cut oats, peanut butter, and cottage cheese). Had some good times to prepare, but the week before this one he started to turn and wouldn't eat, and lost energy. We had him put down last Friday. It was of course very hard, but I can think of a hundred ways the situation could have been worse. Hope y'all are doing well.
I'm sorry about your dog.

How are your kids?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Great to hear from you, wish it was a more positive event. Sorry to hear about your dog.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I'm sorry about your dog.

How are your kids?

With regard to der hund, OK, they had one of my aunts (that I don't think they ever met) and my grandma (that they knew, but she was in poor health as long as they remember) also pass away recently where we got to talk to them about death when they were curious but not emotionally attached. As well, it's been a busy couple weeks for us, camping last weekend and Dells this weekend (both pre-planned), so they haven't had much time to think, even if they were affected. Neither of them was extremely attached to him, der hund wasn't much of a cuddler. Mrs00 and I were a wreck, of course.

In general, the kiddos are good as well. Little00 will be in 2nd grade this year, littlest00 in an alternate kindergarten (he's just before the birthday cutoff, he probably would have been OK, but mrs00 was convinced he was too young, and the school said he 'qualified'...they do zero evaluation)

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and cyrevkah

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Sunday evening random:
  • Portlandia rose wine from Oregon (or Origami as I call it) is good with rhubarb/strawberry crisp. And I mean for drinking while you prepare it although guessing it "pairs" well also. Will test later.
  • In spite of it's utter and total absurdness, 10,000 B.C. is sorta entertaining Sunday night movie fare. Could use some HBO style gratuitous nudity though.
  • I just f-bombed my laptop charging cord. ******* piece of **** tried to trip me (again).

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Sorry for your loss, 00. It's not even something I want to think about, but as Riley turned 9, it's kind of something I'll need to start keeping in the back of my head.

Glad to see ya back, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron