Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
For anyone that gets a kick out of watching the space station there will be some good opportunities in the next few days.
These are Omaha times which are real similar to central Iowa

1634740918897.png

Reactions: wxman1

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 10.13.38 AM.png
I'll probably be near or in the parking lot for this one. I definitely won't be able to see it because of the angle. Too bad because I've never seen it and I really would like to.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
View attachment 91037
I'll probably be near or in the parking lot for this one. I definitely won't be able to see it because of the angle. Too bad because I've never seen it and I really would like to.
It'll be essentially overhead. You start seeing it in the WSW sky about the size of a fist above the horizon and then it will travel overhead until it reaches the NE horizon.
It's like a bright star just moving across the sky

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
It'll be essentially overhead. You start seeing it in the WSW sky about the size of a fist above the horizon and then it will travel overhead until it reaches the NE horizon.
It's like a bright star just moving across the sky
Oh, duh, I read it as WSW to NW. (Rolling eyes.) I will try to look for it.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
We were living in Nebraska when Clay Anderson was brought back from the ISS. (Anderson went to both Nebraska and ISU) They intentionally flew the shuttle over Nebraska upon re-entry, and you could see it streaking across the sky in late morning.

Very cool.

Last edited:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
We were living in Nebraska when Clay Anderson was brought back from the ISS. (Anderson went to both Nebraska and ISU) They intentinally flew the shuttle over Nebraska upon re-entry, and you could see it streaking across the sky in late morning.

Very cool.
Wish I knew that at the time

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
All of a sudden I went from feeling fine to feeling like dog ****. Reminds me of early January all over again. Hopefully this time it will finish the job.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ever Go get fuel and fuel, look at the pump and feel sorry for the person before you? That was the person behind me today.

Attachments

• 467C071E-B417-42EF-A9DD-DDCC26E0010A.jpeg
    467C071E-B417-42EF-A9DD-DDCC26E0010A.jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Wow
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Ever Go get fuel and fuel, look at the pump and feel sorry for the person before you? That was the person behind me today.

If this was Delaware County 40 years ago I'd be totally going "Mr. BCC, can we interest you in a storage tank and a pump? We have tanks in two colors, red or white. Pumps are not some dinky little mini-pump but a used filling station pump with some real pumping capacity."

• Haha
Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If this was Delaware County 40 years ago I'd be totally going "Mr. BCC, can we interest you in a storage tank and a pump? We have tanks in two colors, red or white. Pumps are not some dinky little mini-pump but a used filling station pump with some real pumping capacity."
On road diesel is more expensive delivered than up town so I don’t store that. The red field diesel I do. And I have a red and white tank each for that.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
On road diesel is more expensive delivered than up town so I don’t store that. The red field diesel I do. And I have a red and white tank each for that.

Yeah, some difference today. Filling stations used to up charge more per gallon back than. D-X didn't pay my dad jackshit per gallon. He didn't make any real money till he went independent and made the money between wholesale and retail for himself. Back than the pumps at stations were an actual source of income and not just an enticement to come in and buy donuts and pizza. Another big change was back in the day the little stations got their fuel delivered by jobbers like my dad locally 1200-1500 gallons at a time and not full semi-tanker loads. Little towns didn't have yuge mother ship gasoline/convenience stores.

Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Found out that there is new windshield wiper technology today that has the blades tell you when you need a new one. Was driving the truck in a slow steady rain when I found this out. The passenger wiper notified me by just unlatching itself and flying off. Think there would be better ways for the wiper to inform you.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Found out that there is new windshield wiper technology today that has the blades tell you when you need a new one. Was driving the truck in a slow steady rain when I found this out. The passenger wiper notified me by just unlatching itself and flying off. Think there would be better ways for the wiper to inform you.
There was. You just ignored it.

Status
Not open for further replies.