Radio Moscow

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Bunch of drama queens. Were supposed to play at Mahoneys in CR this past Sunday the 8th at 6pm. Someone from the band called at 5:45 saying the band wasnt coming because they broke up the night before. They...well he (the remaining member of the original band) posted this on YouTube from their "last show" :

Radio Moscow: DG's Tap House (Jan. 7, 2012) - YouTube

Check the comments. Seems like the guys are a bunch of nutcases. Theyre now playing with a new bassist and drummer. Pretty chapped I didnt get to catch their music so close to home.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Watching some of their live videos, I cant even imagine how they would have rocked out in such a small venue.

bpmcclain

Nov 17, 2010
Ames
Thats too bad. I'm not a big fan of much local music, but Radio Moscow was one I really liked

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Thats too bad. I'm not a big fan of much local music, but Radio Moscow was I really liked

It was a done deal before the show that the drummer and bass player were going to be done with Radio Moscow soon, and Griggs was looking for replacements. Apparently Radio Moscow 2.0 is already assembled.

However, I think the deal was that they were supposed to play the rest of their lined up gigs, but they blew up before they honored their commitments.

I get the impression from that video/comments that Griggs is a prima donna who dumps on his rhythm section. He needs to take a page from SRV's book and realize that great rhythm section (like Double Trouble) can take him to the next level.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I lived in that house for a year. That place was ridiculous.

Did you ever party up the way, at the corner of Hyland and Lincoln Way in the run down dump? That was my place (2007-2008). One of my roomates knew all the folks at Hyland House, and we partied there a lot, and vice versa.

That place was definitely ridiculous.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Did you ever party up the way, at the corner of Hyland and Lincoln Way in the run down dump? That was my place (2007-2008). One of my roomates knew all the folks at Hyland House, and we partied there a lot, and vice versa.

That place was definitely ridiculous.

That was a little after my time, I was there the year we got it started in 05/06. Helped build the bar and stage even.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Is this the house on the SW corner of Lincoln & Hyland? I lived on the NW corner in the apartments and a guy I knew from high school lived in that house for awhile. That place was crazy. I think that is where someone stole my brother's car and flipped it on duff somewhere during a joy ride.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Radio Moscow is awesome..and people from around the world love them. That being said, just like anything else in the world, there's tensions going on. Alcohol is going to make you do stuff like that, but at least it's semi exciting lol.

I originally planned on going to the Chicago show this week, but because I had to be up at 4:50am the next morning, I didn't go. It was their first show with the new drummer and bassist. Saw video and pretty damn good job for being the first show on such short notice IMO..

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Is this the house on the SW corner of Lincoln & Hyland? I lived on the NW corner in the apartments and a guy I knew from high school lived in that house for awhile. That place was crazy. I think that is where someone stole my brother's car and flipped it on duff somewhere during a joy ride.

That's not where Radio Moscow would play. That house was north of West St on the west side of the road.

The house you're describing is where I lived from 2007-2008, and it was pretty much nonstop insanity. There were 7 guys living there, and several social circles amongst those 7 guys, so at pretty much all hours of all days, there was someone over there partying.

It was such a run down piece of **** house (one of the worst in Ames) that it just attracted that kind of collegiate insanity. The landlord started renovating while I was living there, because it failed city inspections miserably, and the city threatened condemnation. It's not nearly the glorious dump today that it was in its prime.