Quarterback Situation

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I would hope our staff works to recruit over every single player on the roster - regardless of how good they are. That is how programs build, improve and sustain.

Bingo!

This is where Rhoads could learn a thing or two from Mr. Fred Hoiberg.

Rhoads recruits marginal talent, and then because he's too afraid to lose them, he holds "open" competitions every year and seemingly tries to find ways to rotate everyone in to the game to keep everyone happy.

Fred recruits right over you and will let you spend your career on the bench if you aren't good enough to play. And if you want to transfer because you aren't getting playing time, so be it, Fred goes out and gets someone better to replace you.

Fred plays his top guys the vast majority of the minutes and doesn't seem to care if SDW, Percy Gibson, etc aren't getting any playing time and whether they are happy or not. If you're not happy, then get better, or leave. This is a big time business now, and these players aren't 4 year olds anymore. Time to put on your big boy pants.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

Rhoads recruits marginal talent, and then because he's too afraid to lose them, he holds "open" competitions every year and seemingly tries to find ways to rotate everyone in to the game to keep everyone happy.
At best, this is loose speculation.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Look at number of points scored. It's a bend but don't break defense, so logic would tell you that they will give up a lot of yards. A lot of years they aren't great, but in a year like 2011 the offense put the defense in a lot of bad situations. That was the same defense that gave up 17 points to Oklahoma State in regulation. Notice the only person disagreeing with me is the Hawkeye troll, who is the only person on this board convinced that Rhoads let Messingham go for a reason other than the poor product on the field.

2013: 106, 36.7
2012: 43, 25.7
2011: 78, 30.2
2010: 88, 31.5
2009: 32, 22.2

You can make whatever excuses you want to make. There are a ton of Cyclone fans just like yourself. You tell each other what you want to hear because it makes you feel better about bad results. Yes the B12 has elite offenses. Which is all the more reason ISU's defense needs to get better. This whole putting lipstick on a pig thing is sad. It really is. There are so many Cyclone fans who say they expect more out of their football program, but when the results aren't produced they try to mold it into something that it's not. Well... There's this, and there's that, and it isn't Rhoads fault this happened or this didn't happen. He's trying his best... He's the right guy.... The B12 is just super tough... Injuries.... Officiating...

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. That's all it is. A bunch of excuses. Rhoads needs to produce victories. To me it is that simple. That's the only way 99% of college football coaches are measured. Unless ISU is wanting to create standards completely different than everyone else Rhoads should start being held accountable. The fact is he still isn't held accountable by a huge chunk of the Cyclone fan base. It doesn't make any sense to me. Year #6 coming up and things have continued to get worse. Very few Cyclone fans do anything but stick up for Rhoads.

If the football program is going to turn a corner the defense absolutely has to be better than it has been. Pinning it all on the offense is completely asinine. There's a lot of things that need to improve, and it is Rhoads responsibility to do so. The bottom line is the results are not going to change if the product on the field doesn't improve. Improving the program is the responsibility of the head coach. You can keep making excuses if that makes you feel better, but unless results in terms of WINS are actually produced then all this nonsense you are saying is just that... Nonsense.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
You can make whatever excuses you want to make. There are a ton of Cyclone fans just like yourself. You tell each other what you want to hear because it makes you feel better about bad results. Yes the B12 has elite offenses. Which is all the more reason ISU's defense needs to get better. This whole putting lipstick on a pig thing is sad. It really is. There are so many Cyclone fans who say they expect more out of their football program, but when the results aren't produced they try to mold it into something that it's not. Well... There's this, and there's that, and it isn't Rhoads fault this happened or this didn't happen. He's trying his best... He's the right guy.... The B12 is just super tough... Injuries.... Officiating...

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. That's all it is. A bunch of excuses. Rhoads needs to produce victories. To me it is that simple. That's the only way 99% of college football coaches are measured. Unless ISU is wanting to create standards completely different than everyone else Rhoads should start being held accountable. The fact is he still isn't held accountable by a huge chunk of the Cyclone fan base. It doesn't make any sense to me. Year #6 coming up and things have continued to get worse. Very few Cyclone fans do anything but stick up for Rhoads.

If the football program is going to turn a corner the defense absolutely has to be better than it has been. Pinning it all on the offense is completely asinine. There's a lot of things that need to improve, and it is Rhoads responsibility to do so. The bottom line is the results are not going to change if the product on the field doesn't improve. Improving the program is the responsibility of the head coach. You can keep making excuses if that makes you feel better, but unless results in terms of WINS are actually produced then all this nonsense you are saying is just that... Nonsense.

Rhoads is being held accountable, hence the reason he fired Mess, brought in Mangino, and brought in four JUCO defensive lineman. It's not that complicated to understand that if the defense plays at it's 2011 and 2012 level, and if the offense is competent, they start to win about 8 games a year. Whatever though, if you disagree fine. I'm sure you'll continue to be welcomed over at Hawkeye Nation like you've always been. We don't need tavern Hawks in our fan base.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Bingo!

Fred recruits right over you and will let you spend your career on the bench if you aren't good enough to play. And if you want to transfer because you aren't getting playing time, so be it, Fred goes out and gets someone better to replace you.

Fred plays his top guys the vast majority of the minutes and doesn't seem to care if SDW, Percy Gibson, etc aren't getting any playing time and whether they are happy or not. If you're not happy, then get better, or leave. This is a big time business now, and these players aren't 4 year olds anymore. Time to put on your big boy pants.

It's worth pointing out that last season Wimberely was playing over James White and Shontrelle Johnson, and this year he brought in four JUCO defensive lineman who more than likely will play over guys who have been in the program for a couple years.

That doesn't make what you're saying not true, but he has shown a willingness to not play veteran guys, unfortunately last year there were too many examples of those changes coming after the first game.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It's worth pointing out that last season Wimberely was playing over James White and Shontrelle Johnson, and this year he brought in four JUCO defensive lineman who more than likely will play over guys who have been in the program for a couple years.

That doesn't make what you're saying not true, but he has shown a willingness to not play veteran guys, unfortunately last year there were too many examples of those changes coming after the first game.
You provided actual facts. Nice work.

Reactions: Luth4Cy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
At best, this is loose speculation.

Yeah, of course it is. Along with 99.9% of the posts on this website. What's your point?

It is MY view of the situation. It is an opinion. Therefore, it's speculation. Just like everyone else's posts on here.

Mangino comes in here, and everyone is excited because he comes out and says that he wanted to narrow the QB race down to one or two guys in spring practice. But yet, here we are again with 3 guys still in the race, and no end in sight as who is going to win this thing.

Quit jerking people around Rhoads. Just have the guts to name a leader. Who cares if someone passes them in summer camp? You are in charge. You can name a leader. And you can change that leader at any point as well.

It's like he's constantly afraid that if he names a leader, then someone will transfer. If they can't stick it out and compete for the job, they shouldn't be here anyway IMO. That's how Fred runs his program anyway.

And yes, that's my opinion. Rhoads has completely mishandled the QB position on this team basically from the first day he got here. It's been a complete mess.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Yeah, of course it is. Along with 99.9% of the posts on this website. What's your point?

It is MY view of the situation. It is an opinion. Therefore, it's speculation. Just like everyone else's posts on here.

Mangino comes in here, and everyone is excited because he comes out and says that he wanted to narrow the QB race down to one or two guys in spring practice. But yet, here we are again with 3 guys still in the race, and no end in sight as who is going to win this thing.

Quit jerking people around Rhoads. Just have the guts to name a leader. Who cares if someone passes them in summer camp? You are in charge. You can name a leader. And you can change that leader at any point as well.

It's like he's constantly afraid that if he names a leader, then someone will transfer. If they can't stick it out and compete for the job, they shouldn't be here anyway IMO. That's how Fred runs his program anyway.

And yes, that's my opinion. Rhoads has completely mishandled the QB position on this team basically from the first day he got here. It's been a complete mess.

I speculate that Rhoads has not yet narrowed it down to two just because he enjoys clonedude's upset posts.

Reactions: GMan

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don't think anyone is thrilled with the way the QB situation has been handled the last few years. I have trouble thinking that's form some strange fear of guys transferring or quitting in a sport where transfers aren't very common.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

You guys do realize that the ISU defense is based on stopping teams from scoring, which for the most part has worked. There is no doubt that the ISU defense has been very short on talent, but there is only so much that coaches can do to remedy that. Irving and Coe were risk recruits that gave ISU some talent and we all know how that worked out.

The defense last year was not good, but part of the horrible stats from 2013 are a by-product of an offense that could not keep on the field for more than 3 plays. CPR has taken steps to fix that, although no where quick enough for my taste.

Basically it is what it is. If the Clone go through another horrible season, then CPR will be done, and you will be happy.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas

Guess you haven't done your research yet as I suggested in my post to you earlier this evening. Just for the record, let me provide to you a relevant statistic. Until the Tech game last year, ISU held the longest streak in the Big 12 for holding opponents below 40 points in game. This streak dated back 2 full seasons to the Baylor game mid season in 2011. If we have been so bad on defense, why would we have owned this streak for two full years worth of games versus EVERY other team in the Big 12? Go home HocEye.

Apr 28, 2014
For anyone who may care, I have heard from multiple people inside of the football program that the quarterback depth chart going into fall looks like:
1. Rohach
2. Lanning
3. Richardson

Rohach is pretty far ahead at this point, and will most likely wrap up the starting job within the first few weeks of fall camp.

What about Darius Lee Campbell?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
What about Darius Lee Campbell?

He's a true freshman. If he's starting than one of the following happened.

1. He's incredible
2. Everyone else is absolutely awful
3. A lot of injuries

True freshmen very rarely are in the QB conversation anywhere, and if they are then they were probably on campus in the spring.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
In all reality, it doesn't probably matter all that much who starts between Sam or Grant. I think they both probably give us an equal chance at winning.... which isn't that great IMO. I haven't seen enough from either of them to feel much confidence in either one at this point.

What I'm saying is, I think it's pretty evident that neither one is the next Sage Rosenfels or Seneca Wallace. They are what they are. Hopefully it's enough for Mangino to win with.

My biggest hope for the future of ISU football is that DLC ends up being the real deal. QB has just been a huge mess on this team at least since Rhoads has been here. Not enough talent, and the position has been handled and coached poorly too.

I had the under on 20 posts before we brought up DLC. I lost that bet. I did win the bet, however, on who posted it.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I speculate that Rhoads has not yet narrowed it down to two just because he enjoys clonedude's upset posts.

He doesn't have to do that. All he would have to do is select the wrong toothpaste and clonedude would meltdown in an incredibly immature high school girlish way.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Bingo!

You're comparing football recruiting against basketball recruiting, which is completely asinine. Football gets about 25 new guys a year vs 2-4 a year in basketball, which means that in football you have less of a chance of getting top prospects because many will go to the top schools. Fred also has a giant leg up in recruiting (name recognition, success, connections, etc.) not to mention Hilton Magic and it's history. The two matters are completely separate issues.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Based on his time at ISU, he hasn't been anything special, and I haven't seen anything suggesting he will be. Not saying he can't become good, but IMO it's looking like he will be no better than Jared Barnett.

Seriously GMan, what part of the this equation do you not get? Go look at his film when he played the last 2 games of 2012 and tell me that 1. SR doesn't make great decisions 2. Tell me his TD/INT ratio in 2012 wasn't incredible for a first year QB, 3. That his running ability is above average for a QB 4. That he was extremely accurate, even in a 25-30 mph wind vs. WV and would have probably won that game if Woody doesn't fumble on the 3.

What's the difference between 2012 and 2013? 1. His OL was much better in 2012 2. He was HEALTHY in 2012 and was injured in the 1st game of the year in 2013 and tried to play hurt all year 3. His throwing ability was hindered dramatically (it is for any QB) with a bad ankle (try throwing a football with a gimpy ankle and we'll see how accurate you are) 4. He had NO Time in most cases in 2012 to set and throw and when he did 5. His WR's rarely got separation.

Sam Richardson, from what I saw in 2012 held a LOT of promise in a very average offense. Not Seneca like but an above average QB in his own right. Give him a good OC, a good OL, a Running game to back him up a little bit, and recovered confidence from last year's debacle...give him a chance. GR also is a coming along nicely and I really don't know which one is best suited for MM and what he wants to do? Those judging ANY of our QB's with last year's offensive line and coordinator situation and blaming the problems on the QB, really do not get football.

Reactions: ExCyment and GMan

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Rhoads is being held accountable, hence the reason he fired Mess, brought in Mangino, and brought in four JUCO defensive lineman. It's not that complicated to understand that if the defense plays at it's 2011 and 2012 level, and if the offense is competent, they start to win about 8 games a year. Whatever though, if you disagree fine. I'm sure you'll continue to be welcomed over at Hawkeye Nation like you've always been. We don't need tavern Hawks in our fan base.

How in the hell is Rhoads being held accountable?

He fired the offensive staff. That means THEY were held accountable. A huge section of the fans choose to blame the offensive staff for that dumpster fire and try to completely separate Rhoads from it when he was the one responsible for it all.

I have no idea how bringing in 4 JUCO guys has anything to do with Rhoads accountability. If anything it shows he hasn't done his job by building adequate depth so he has to go out and do that.

Again you're throwing out this "winning 8 games a year" thing. Hilarious. Once in 30 years and you think if a couple things didn't happen here or there it would be the norm. First, a couple things did happen and they were Rhoads fault. Second, had those things not happened you have absolutely no way of knowing what the outcome would have been. You're just throwing crap at the wall and hoping it sticks.

You would be a good press secretary for Rhoads you know that? Dodge, deflect, dodge, deflect...

[video=youtube;xZ0OUq_kDh8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xZ0OUq_kDh8[/video]

Last edited: